No Galaxy S2 coming to Verizon!

Maybe they are waiting out for the quad core in November.

Quad core is early 2012, not 2011

Only hope at this point is for prime or that Vigor is all that it's hyped up to be.

The new and unreleased Asus Transformer tablet will have quad core, so it'll be awhile for smartphones.

I guess this confirms the Nexus-Three is coming to Verizon first, and the other carriers will get it next year, if at all ?

And that Verizon knows they have a blockbuster coming in October already in the iPhone5. But so does ATT and Sprint as well.

Yeah, I can't figure out why Verizon wouldn't want to have a Galaxy S2, it is already a popular brand name, more so than the Bionic or Charge are ?

Nexus Prime is coming to VZW I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship if Android is what you're after.

I don't know who's fault it is, but it took away too long for the Galaxy S II to come to US shores. I believe the first Galaxy S phones were already out by this time.

I really want to jump ship to Windows Phone, but the rumored Super AMOLED HD screen (1280x720) is too tempting. Let's hope Sprint gets the Nexus Prime as well.

The new and unreleased Asus Transformer tablet will have quad core, so it'll be awhile for smartphones.

I don't know who's fault it is, but it took away too long for the Galaxy S II to come to US shores. I believe the first Galaxy S phones were already out by this time.

I really want to jump ship to Windows Phone, but the rumored Super AMOLED HD screen (1280x720) is too tempting. Let's hope Sprint gets the Nexus Prime as well.

I believe Verizon and Sprint got their Galaxy S1's last year around September or late August.

But I still scratch my head thinking WTF why didn't Samsung U.S. release the same exact Galaxy S2 at the same time that Europe and Asia got it back in late April, that phone at that time was far and above the best Android on the market at that time, nothing even close to it. The Euro Galaxy S2 was out before the EVO-3D and Sensation, before the Droid Charge, before the Nexus-S 4G. I just don't get it, Samsung would have dominated all four U.S. carriers sales as #1 with the Galaxy S2 if it was released in April/May.

They likely dominated without it, but the public does not know officially since they stopped reporting numbers last quarter. It was estimated they shipped 19 million phones last quarter by outside firms, with Apple doing 20 million at the same time. they did just fine without it

Sprint will get all Nexus phones from now on since Google and Sprint have a "partnership" with GVoice and Kansas City fiber base. And this is just my assumption.

Sprint will get all Nexus phones from now on since Google and Sprint have a "partnership" with GVoice and Kansas City fiber base. And this is just my assumption.

Sure hope so, I am tempted to upgrade out of my awesome Nexus-S 4G to the new;
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/08/28/...g-touch-press-images-leak-out-for-all-to-see/

- Super AMOLED + screen :eek:
- Dual core 1.2ghz is way faster than my current single 1ghz
- More RAM
- XDA will get Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" ported over to the Galaxy S2 first

Sure sound like Verizon is definitely first in line with the new Droid-Prime in October. And other carriers will just have to get in line, if they are even getting it ?
http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/29/verizon-wireless-exclusively-launching-samsung-droid-prime-in-october/

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-prime-just-uncle-jerry-predicted

Sure hope Sprint is getting the Nexus-Three or Prime. I am on Sprint with my Nexus-S 4G, my Wife is on T-Mobile currently, and they are the original Nexus carrier, would move there if they get the N-3 or Prime. But fuck Verizon, they are major ripoff. Sprint and T-Mobile have very good pricing plans, and good service here in Chicago.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Verizon needs to do some PR damage control, and quickly, before all the people who were waiting for the GS2 go to another carrier :eek:
Too late, I'm already gone. And won't be back unless they offer unlimited data for a decent price ($30/mo would be a good start).

I'd think people would be more happy with Verizon getting the first Android 4.0 phone.
Why anyone wants to pay $200 for one of the last Android 2.3 phones is a mystery to me. The SGS2 is 4 months too late in the US.
Verizon is looking pretty good to me.

I'd think people would be more happy with Verizon getting the first Android 4.0 phone.
Why anyone wants to pay $200 for one of the last Android 2.3 phones is a mystery to me. The SGS2 is 4 months too late in the US.

I agree, I was upset about them not getting the G2..but I guess I can wait about another year or so to see what new stuff they come out with

There data plans need some updating though..2GB for 30 USD what a joke

I believe Verizon and Sprint got their Galaxy S1's last year around September or late August.

But I still scratch my head thinking WTF why didn't Samsung U.S. release the same exact Galaxy S2 at the same time that Europe and Asia got it back in late April, that phone at that time was far and above the best Android on the market at that time, nothing even close to it. The Euro Galaxy S2 was out before the EVO-3D and Sensation, before the Droid Charge, before the Nexus-S 4G. I just don't get it, Samsung would have dominated all four U.S. carriers sales as #1 with the Galaxy S2 if it was released in April/May.

US cell phone carriers are a lot more fickle and the FCC is a lot more stricter than the European equivalent. I think it was mentioned months ago about how Samsung would be more than happy to bring the Galaxy S2 to American shores, but was being delayed by the FCC and the carriers.

It is 4 months late, but not too late, there is no other phone that is better at its time of release. It would only be too late for me if it came after some super phone that leapfrogged it. I can't wait any longer, each day without a smartphone is like walking on burning coals for me, my dumb phone cannot keep up.

It will get android ics sooner or later, the fact that the gs2 release is Sooooooooooo far towards the end of gingerbread makes it MORE likely to get an update to ease feelings of sour grapes.

The main downside of the phone is resolution, and I can live with that, that and not being the top performer for much longer.

Sprint got it on August 30th, I received mine on August 10th, if I recall correctly. Verizon's came out shortly thereafter, I remember using the Samsung rep's model and wishing Sprint had a keyboardless version.

As for why the GS2 took so long, it's not really the FCC. The FCC filings can be rushed through in weeks, if not days. Remember that Apple's phones usually get filed a few days before release. The carriers in the US want absolute control over EVERYTHING, so it takes a much longer time to test.

Keep in mind that in Europe, you basically buy the phone and THEN choose your carrier. You have Samsung Galaxy S 2, and your service is with Orange, or O2, or Vodaphone, etc etc, not a "Sprint Epic Touch 4G Galaxy S 2 (made by Samsung)". The manufacturers control the updates, not the carriers.

The carriers in the US want absolute control over EVERYTHING, so it takes a much longer time to test.

Keep in mind that in Europe, you basically buy the phone and THEN choose your carrier. You have Samsung Galaxy S 2, and your service is with Orange, or O2, or Vodaphone, etc etc, not a "Sprint Epic Touch 4G Galaxy S 2 (made by Samsung)". The manufacturers control the updates, not the carriers.
And that's also why the global Galaxy S got 2.3, and before we got 2.2.

Back