Nintendo Warns It Won't Make More Retro NES and SNES Consoles

Downloading a ROM is illegal because the law says so. Its really that simple. Since no video game is old enough to qualify as public domain and abandonware is not remotely a legal term, every video game is still covered under US copyright protection laws. Those laws very clearly state that downloading games is considered piracy and is therefore illegal.

While I'm no expert on US law, I believe it's not that simple. The only way to backup the cart is to extract the ROM and I'm fairly certain that whether I extract the ROM myself or get a third party to do it, if I own the game and therefore a license to use the game I'm doing nothing illegal.

It depends downloading per definition is not illegal because you have paid for the game it depends on which circumstances it is illegal in theory you might be right but are there cases in which person got the cartridge and was still prosecuted?

While I'm no expert on US law, I believe it's not that simple. The only way to backup the cart is to extract the ROM and I'm fairly certain that whether I extract the ROM myself or get a third party to do it, if I own the game and therefore a license to use the game I'm doing nothing illegal.

As far as I understand it, downloading is always illegal. At least that is how I've seen it explained. I'm not an expert either.

Well, it's kind of embarrassing when their old shit vastly outsells their new shit, so kill the old shit and force the new shit...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17642236/nes-classic-npd-sales-data-june-2018

OTOH, I agree with you. Nintendo is far from the market leading juggernaut that they used to be oh, 25 years ago, so they should ramp-up with pushing what is, essentially, guaranteed revenue and profits. Or the only Switch they'll be pushing is the one that turns the lights off for the final time...

Limited demand. No way those will sell close to the Switch. People will go off nostalgia and buy them because they're limited hence the rush of sales. But they're not going to sell 22 million of them.

Kind of sad they won't do an N64 one though. I'd really just like a decent quality controller and then could run an emulator as my N64 is dead. I know there are aftermarket ones but I am weary of crappy knock off Chinese stuff. I'd had bad luck with it in the past.

It's never been proven in a court of law. Personally, I don't see getting involved in such a lawsuit worth it for some old games.

As far as I understand it, downloading is always illegal. At least that is how I've seen it explained. I'm not an expert either.

When it comes to vintage software, half the time it's impossible to even find the owner of the IP. Making it illegal to simply download vintage software irregardless of one's legal rights seems a little to 'blanket like'.

It makes you wonder if Nintendo has a hand in its own secondary market...

makes sense to me, they probably see the sales of them are dwindling and they don't want a huge warehouse of them sitting there... also it makes it more of a collectible...

people think it's all about money so they must be stupid, but ya know not every business has that priority and there are more important things in life...

Back