Night Owls vs. Morning People: Who's Smarter?

I really disagree with this... I've known a number of BRILLIANT people who are complete dicks and feel the need to make sure everybody know they're smart. An intelligent person doesn't necessarily have any tact or social grace.

For those of you that want to enlarge their e-peen. I scored a 151 here and I took it at 430PM.

http://www.intelligencetest.com/

The test given to me at the medical clinic on base I scored a 176 and that was take at about 0900 about 3 weeks ago. That's out of a possible 200 points on both.

I'm a night person. The ugliness of the world is hidden at night. Like the litter that is thrown out of ppl's cars, poorly maintained laws, etc.

"Researchers from the London School of Economics say that human beings used to all be day-oriented"

This is retarded. Apparently these researchers have never been to high temperature locations. You know, the places that reach 130F. Most everyone in these areas are more night ppl, simply because the temperature drops by like 30 degrees in the evening. It's much easier to work outside at that point in time.

I think we need to abandon the term "Night owl"

Do you know any daytime owls? Of course not. The whole premise of an "owl" is a nocturnal animal.

f44554_JustWateringtheOwl.jpg

I think we need to abandon the term "Night owl"

Do you know any daytime owls? Of course not. The whole premise of an "owl" is a nocturnal animal. [/IMG]

Burrowing owl and short-eared owl are daytime owls.

Of course a study found that "the night people" have lower GPAs. Classes are early in the day.

Thats like saying day people are better at farming or night people are better at watching Craig Ferguson tell jokes.

"Researchers from the London School of Economics say that human beings used to all be day-oriented"

This is retarded. Apparently these researchers have never been to high temperature locations. You know, the places that reach 130F. Most everyone in these areas are more night ppl, simply because the temperature drops by like 30 degrees in the evening. It's much easier to work outside at that point in time.

I'm guessing the term "used to" in their context means before we could manipulate the enviornment. People can live in 100*F, but 130*F at any regular amount of time would be too drastic and would probably lead to migratory behavior during that period.

We got brains, so nature penalized with weak senses and bodies, so night living "in nature" is not really an option for modern man (by modern I just mean Homosapien, not 21st century)

this whole morning vs night thing cant really be justified since there are way too many variables.
some people stay up late for the purpose of partying.
some watch tv.
some read.
some jerk off for hours.
some do homework/study.
some work.
some try to teach themselves new things.

some of these things are very different from others so it is very difficult to just classify all of these as the same.

I'm guessing the term "used to" in their context means before we could manipulate the enviornment. People can live in 100*F, but 130*F at any regular amount of time would be too drastic and would probably lead to migratory behavior during that period.

Migration takes a hell of a lot more effort than simply, doing your business early morning and evening. When it's still cool from the night and also when it's starting to cool from the sun going down. You also build your buildings taller with higher ceilings, so that hot air is up high and away from inhabitants. Just look at Middle Eastern architecture.

130F is easily doable, so long as you are in the shade and not doing anything. If you are working in direct sunlight, lots of water and constant breaks in work.

We got brains, so nature penalized with weak senses and bodies, so night living "in nature" is not really an option for modern man (by modern I just mean Homosapien, not 21st century)

Even if we take away all of mankind's greatest inventions, the only real reason for everyone to be daytime ppl is due to the fact that, we can't see at night and making a fire is a pain in the ass. Making a fire that you can easily move around is also a pain in the ass. Full moon is about the only time you'd be able to do anything.

Sleep when the sun comes up. Wake up just in time for Dinner. Party, rinse, repeat.
It said you're a morning person am I right?

IMO this is "test" fatally flawed.
1) they don't define "morning". It seems they mean from 12-11:59am. Most people consider still being up between those times to be night owl activity.
2) my choices don't fit their narrow time frame.
3) Q5 isn't even close for me.
4) I suppose if still being up somewhere between 12 & 11:59am before going to bed & then waking somewhere between 5pm & 3am means I'm a morning person....then I'm a morning person. :rolleyes:

I got a 7 on the test, but ya. Those hours kind of suck.

If I could plan out my own days, I would wake up around noon and go to sleep around 3-5 am. At least 1 weekend out of the month, I would sleep 15-20 hours in a single day. Right now, I'm currently on day shift. Here's how my day goes.

Wake up 0500. Go to the gym 0530. Shower up at 0630 and go to work at 0700. Get back home about 1530. Take a nap at 1600, til about 1700-1800. Stay up until midnight-0100.

Am I a day person or a night person?

I remember reading people who are night owls are capable of staying up longer simply because their brain tires out slower. Then the repeated late sleeping syncs your biorhythm to the late sleeping and you become a night owl. However going into the workforce usually makes you follow conventional sleeping patterns. Also as you age you brain becomes weaker, which makes sense cause my grandparents sleep at like 8pm and get up at like 4am lol

I got a 7 on the test, but ya. Those hours kind of suck.

If I could plan out my own days, I would wake up around noon and go to sleep around 3-5 am. At least 1 weekend out of the month, I would sleep 15-20 hours in a single day. Right now, I'm currently on day shift. Here's how my day goes.

Wake up 0500. Go to the gym 0530. Shower up at 0630 and go to work at 0700. Get back home about 1530. Take a nap at 1600, til about 1700-1800. Stay up until midnight-0100.

Am I a day person or a night person?

I think the study is what you naturally do. If you had to pick your work hours how would you pick them? Myself would like to work from 10am to 6pm so i could go in at a decent time and sleep how I usually do... 12 or 1 in the morning.

I prefer Swing shifts for work. Go into work at 1300, get off at midnight. Then go play video games, hit the clubs, or go driving til 0400. At the latest, be back by 0800. Those were the days. I don't know how many times I drove to Shinjuku or Shibuya, got plastered with the OLs and business men, then slept in my car til the sun woke me up. Then having to rush back home to get ready for work.

The test is weird...seriously:

The bed times..
1.2000hrs - 2100hrs..... 5
2.2100hrs - 2215hrs..... 4
3.2215hrs - 0030hrs..... 3
4.0030hrs - 0145hrs..... 2
5.0145hrs - 0300hrs..... 1

Which night person goes to bed at 3am? The club places I go to open at 12...the events last until 7, then you go to denny's and eat ice cream and get back to bed at like 10... I bet they don't even know any night people...

This is not a night person, this is a college student.

Mine was neither (18). My preferred sleep schedule is from 1 to about 9 or 10, but if I am going to get any serious work done, it's got to be in the morning or early afternoon after I wake up, before laziness and lack of energy take over and make me useless for the rest of the day.

Back