NIC and switch question

manny1222

Gawd
I also have a Western Digital My Net port switch (Amazon.com: WD My Net Switch - 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch - HD Media Switch: Computers & Accessories). I'm going to have three desktop systems connected and I have a couple of questions about optimal connections.

First system is my gaming/streaming rig with 4790K on an MSI Z97-G45 mobo with a Killer gigabit built-in network card.

Second is my all purpose desktop (will be used for some video editing and such) running a 2600(non-K) on a Biostar H61ML mobo with I think a generic Realtek 100/10 network card.

Third is a FreeNas box I'm about to build with a xeon e3-1230 on a Supermicro X9SCL which has two built-in Intel gigabit NICs.

I also have two NC360T dual port gigabit NICs (HP Intel NC360T Low Profile Dual Port Server NIC PCI-e GB Network Card 41265-001) I got off ebay when I started considering building a FreeNas box.

1. Does it make sense to use the add-on NICs in my first two systems instead of what they come with? I haven't had issues with the Killer NIC, but I've read a lot of people reporting issues.

2. If I do, can I connect both ports on each system to the network switch to increase transfer rates between the systems?

3. Is my port switch okay or should I pick up something better? It has different colored ports for supposedly different priorities.

4. If I can, and do put this together with this arrangement, can i also connect 2 cables to my Comcast gateway? The official data sheet from Cisco says it is capable of 1000/100/10 (Cisco DPC3939 - Cisco Systems)

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This enquiry all started after watching this video. I'm not sure what the SMB is, and I'm assuming (hoping) it's all there with all the systems and not something additional I have to install. The first two are running windows 10 and the last will just be running freenas

Last edited:
Back