NF7-S + Redhat 9 Network issues

archevilangel

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed redhat 9 on a new partition on my harddrive because I was curious about linux(I tried out knoppix and it worked great except for the lag caused by running off the cd) and I haven't been able to get my onboard network card going in redhat(knoppix detected it fine) I tried installing the drivers from nvidia's site, and that allowed me to select nvnet as the network card but I can't activate it because it says the device is not found. Any suggestions?

well no one seems to know, so I guess I will be switching to mandrake(what knoppix is based on)

Here's what I did to get my onboard ethernet running under RH9.

Download and install nVidia's unified driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261 (get the source tarball, not the rpm) and do the following steps:

1) tar -xvfz nforce.tar.gz
2) cd /nforce/nvnet/
3) make && make install

4) Load up a text editor and open "/etc/modules.conf". Even if the file is empty, add the following line without the quotations: "alias eth0 nvnet"

5) netconfig
6) modprobe nvnet

some have also gotten the nf2 ethernet workign with the oss forcedeath (something like that lol)

Install a 2.6 kernel, and use the open source driver. I've been using it since 2.6.0-rc1, and it works fine.

The driver is forcedeth
as in forced-eth
not force-death

Back