Nexus S

ramicio

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to switch from my iPhone to something Android-based. I'm quite sick of lack of choice, and the length of time they take to release jailbreaks just because Apple and the developers play a cat and mouse game. And then there's Apple's draconian rule of what apps are allowed. Their announcement of multiple social-networking integration has really ticked me off and has been the last straw. I was something pure Android, no manufacturer altered OSes. Is the Nexus S good?

My girlfriend has the Nexus S and it's a solid phone. There are some speed issues with some of the phones but we haven't experienced it on hers. It's a damn nice phone. I wish it had an SDcard slot and higher def video recording though.

Well if you're on a iPhone right now, you'll have to switch carriers to get the Nexus S because neither AT&T or Verizon carry the Nexus S, I assume you're on AT&T though since it sounds like you've had it for a while. But the Nexus S definitely sounds like what you want. You'll have to be on T-Mobile (unless you unlock it for AT&T and don't care to have 3G - not sure about all that though) or Sprint right now to get it subsidized to you.

It's pretty shitty because there are only a handful of "google experience" phones (as in no custom UI) now and most of them are on T-Mobile. Off the top of my head; they have the Nexus S, HTC G2 and the LG GX2, the latter of which is definitely the most appealing, IMO. I'm not sure of any vanilla Android phones on AT&T, Sprint only has the Nexus S AFAIK and Verizon only has the Xperia Play right now unless you want the obsolete original Droid (what I'm still rocking right now).

So all in all, even though the Nexus S is starting to age now as far as hardware goes, you can't beat the guaranteed software updates it's going to be getting for a long time (in the tech world) which is its most appealing feature to me.

i'd honestly get a nexus one over a nexus s, even if it is slightly slower...

for vanilla Android, you also have the G2 and G2x

the G2 is excellent IMHO, and if you wait for July/August I'm sure you can get one cheap after all the DC phones are out

edit: and if you aren't averse to just hacking the shit outta your phone, and you are on AT&T (like me), you can get a Samsung Vibrant, sim unlock it (free), and install Cyanogenmod 7.1 for it. The Vibrant works on AT&Ts 3g network, and is compatible with mediaNet (or Data Unlimited) if you want cheap internet :)

Last edited:
Oh wow, so many answers. Why can't it work with 3g on AT&T? Are there band-specific versions? Expandable storage and [video] camera don't matter much to me. Should I hold out on a next Google phone? I'm really about to just drop having a phone altogether. I don't make or receive any calls whatsoever. I mainly use probably a hundred or so texts and a few MB of data. $100 a month is getting to be too much, and I've even quit smoking cigarettes and I've lost my drivers license, so no gas or insurance anymore.

nexus s will work on edge (2g) on at&t...

if you really are such a light user, get an HTC HD2, and put Android on it. It runs *direct* ports of Nexus One roms, so software updates are a non-issue, and it runs really nicely... of course, once again, only on 2g, but if you really are such a light user, you'll be just fine....

plus you can snag them really cheap on ebay...

I'm a light user but I cannot stand waiting for anything when I do actually use it. From the info I see about the phone it has the bands for AT&T 3g.

I use an Australian version of the HD2 (the T9193 for Telstra) with AT&T HSDPA bands and Gingerbread. Runs perfect. AT&T thinks it's a dumbphone so I pay $10/month for my unlimited data.

I'm a light user but I cannot stand waiting for anything when I do actually use it. From the info I see about the phone it has the bands for AT&T 3g.

which phone are you talking about?
the nexus S and (most) HD2s do not work on at&t 3g unless you get them from a Canadian or other foreign carrier with the 850/1900 bands

like the vibrant, the international version of the G2 (desire Z) works well on both T-mobile and AT&T 3g frequencies, in case you want another choice...

The Nexus S is an excellent phone that will be getting updates. If you want the latest and greatest Android version, get a Nexus S.

There are nexus s working on AT&T bands if you didn't know, they are pricey in the ~$475 range

Yea, from what I can tell there is a Nexus S with 850/1900/2100 UMTS/HSPA bands.

I just got an Nexus S a couple of days ago. It is the unlocked one and does not support at@t 3g. Even though it is unlocked, I am guessing it was favoring tmoibe as it came with a tmobile sim.

Both Nexus phones are unlocked by default. If you want one that works with ATT bands then you will have to look at a non-US version. Usually Telestra (Australia) or one of the Canadian carriers have one that is compatible with ATT's 3G here.

Got a Nexus S 4G to use until the Evo 3D drops... very slick. I think I'd take it over an Evo 4G if that says anything.

Got a Nexus S 4G to use until the Evo 3D drops... very slick. I think I'd take it over an Evo 4G if that says anything.

All the reviews of the EVO-3D are not that great, you have a kick ass phone in the Nexus-S 4G, just hold out for the Nexus-4.0 due out Thanksgiving :eek: The specs are AMAZING, dual core 1.5ghz...2gb DDR2...Android 4.0 "Ice Cream"...and some crazy new high res screen, never seen on a phone before, forgot the size, around 4.3"/4.5", but the resolution is some crazy like 1280 x 760 or something.

im actually in the process of transitioning my girlfriend from an evo shift 4g to the nexus s 4g because of the need to run stock android with no BS.....

honestly, i'd take the nexus s with its dated hardware over the evo 3d any day of the week.....

All the reviews of the EVO-3D are not that great, you have a kick ass phone in the Nexus-S 4G, just hold out for the Nexus-4.0 due out Thanksgiving :eek: The specs are AMAZING, dual core 1.5ghz...2gb DDR2...Android 4.0 "Ice Cream"...and some crazy new high res screen, never seen on a phone before, forgot the size, around 4.3"/4.5", but the resolution is some crazy like 1280 x 760 or something.

im actually in the process of transitioning my girlfriend from an evo shift 4g to the nexus s 4g because of the need to run stock android with no BS.....

honestly, i'd take the nexus s with its dated hardware over the evo 3d any day of the week.....

I agree with both of these statements.

Evo 3D doesn't seem to have lived up to its hype in all the reviews so far. It's not a bad phone by any means, but I would still rather have the Nexus S.

If you are using the phone for so little now you might look at some of the prepaid plans as they've started getting some android phones, though none as high-end as the big carriers have.

The specs are AMAZING, dual core 1.5ghz...2gb DDR2...Android 4.0 "Ice Cream"...and some crazy new high res screen, never seen on a phone before, forgot the size, around 4.3"/4.5", but the resolution is some crazy like 1280 x 760 or something.
Stop rumor mongering, nobody knows what the specs are yet.

That is the biggest load of bull I have ever read on this forum. Nobody knows what the specs are quite yet.

That is the biggest load of bull I have ever read on this forum. Nobody knows what the specs are quite yet.

Of course we don't, but there have been some buzz and rumors going around recently, originally thought to have a Quad Core, but someone just said it will have the dual core 1.5ghz, and very high res screen, will try to find that link.

Last edited:
Zorachus, you REALLY have to stop stating rumors as fact. Nobody is getting annoyed with you posting rumors, but there's a big difference between "might" and "will".

Zorachus, you REALLY have to stop stating rumors as fact. Nobody is getting annoyed with you posting rumors, but there's a big difference between "might" and "will".

Lol, concurred. I see no point in even talking about the next iPhone/Nexus (or anything else) until someone at least gets some hands-on with it to confirm the details.

They are rumors. In the post above you stated them as fact. There is a big difference.

Ok sorry, I don't think I said they were 100% set in stone fact, my bad if made it sound like that. I am just going off stuff I read on Android sites, etc...

Back