Nexus-Five thread

Indeed, the nexus 4 is the first phone ever where I look at the next generation of phones coming after it and go "that it?"

its gonna take a real leap in power demands in software to make the nexus 4 anywhere close to being out of date in terms of cpu/gpu power. There are still good reasons to want to upgrade from the Nexus 4 though... camera, battery life, storage capacity being the main three. Once a new Nexus comes out addressing those sore points, I feel we'll have reached the "core 2" era of android smart phones: good enough to the point that even a 5-6 year old piece of hardware is still good enough (just like how desktops/laptops running core 2 processors are still good enough for 99% of the population these days, 7 years after their introduction).

Agreed. Nexus 4 hardware should last for awhile. I just switched from an Exhibit II and the N4 is leaps and bounds better. Be interested to see what the N5 brings.

As the first comment of that article says; there is no "Nexus" branding on the back, which you would think even a prototype Nexus would.

As long as it doesn't have a glass back, then it's better than the last Nexus.

Ok, this is getting confusing now :rolleyes: Who's making the Nexus-Five ? Or will there now be two new Nexus phones this Fall ? A high end 5" by LG, and mid spec'd 4/7" by Motorola ? I personally would bet on the LG G2 being the basis for the Nexus-Five, and possibly a Moto 'X' lower end Nexus option.

Nexus 5 (Nexus 4 v2) again said to be a Motorola affair
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5-nexus-4-v2-motorola-257388/

When content comes out to support that (as well as a gpu to push it) ill want it, I just finally got 1080p!

Lol qHD of 720p, I like 1440, dont get me wrong.

For something like the Oculus Rift a display like that would be amazing. For a phone... maybe if they shipped it along with a magnifying glass?

For something like the Oculus Rift a display like that would be amazing. For a phone... maybe if they shipped it along with a magnifying glass?

Any phone can set a new resolution what going out through hdmi, you dont need to have a matching resolution to output it.

Edit: realised what you ment, display on the rift, not the phone, doh!

I would've thought that the next Nexus would be Motorolla, but maybe Google has some contract with LG? Either way, two Nexus phones will be nice! Especially if the Moto Nexus is like the Moto X - simple and elegant

I would've thought that the next Nexus would be Motorolla, but maybe Google has some contract with LG? Either way, two Nexus phones will be nice! Especially if the Moto Nexus is like the Moto X - simple and elegant

I think everyone gets 2. If you consider the HTC Dream/G1 as a nexus device which it basically was, stock android designed in collaboration with Google then HTC and Samsung both got 2 phones, I think LG will get 2, then Moto will probably get 2.

Yeah, I know. It just doesn't go well with my 200 MB T-Mobile plan...

So get the T-Mobile $30/month plan: 5GB of data (up to 4G speeds), then throttled to 2D/EDGE after that but never capped so it is effectively "unlimited" in terms of data, as well as 100 minutes of talk time (if you need more it's $.10 a minute), and unlimited texting.

It is the best deal in prepaid wireless there is, and there's a ton of people that use it. Thankfully T-Mobile hasn't killed it off, at least not yet.

It's available only at Walmart (have to ask for it specifically), or through T-Mobile's website - it can't be started or purchased or activated in their retail stores nor at any resellers.

As for those 100 minutes, I've never used mine in nearly 2 years of being on this plan, in fact the most I've ever used was like 11 minutes once because I was on hold too long with some idiotic office. I use Talkatone + my Google Voice account for VoIP/SIP duties over the data connection and I've never ever had a problem with it or a "dropped" call at all.

With Wi-Fi spots being more pervasive all the time I doubt I'll ever require anything more than this plan. The 5GB for the price is untouchable by most any other provider.

If you're capable of getting it, do it.

I'm actually better off with my family discount plan I have now. $13 a person for 1000 min shared, unlimited text, then $5 for 200MB of data. If I really wanted data, I would have done $10 for 2GB "unlimited."

More on topic, Nexus 4 (8gb) permanently out of stock. Nexus 5 has to be on the way...

OMFG :eek: :D :cool:

I always thought the Nexus-Five would be based off G2 specs. Now lets see some more info on 4.4 ?

With the Nexus 4 8GB version being sold out, and not being restocked, and the 4.4 Kit Kat reveal today, I'm think the Nexus 5 is not far away at all. We are in the hottest smartphone season of the year; Sept / Oct is the iPhone release, Galaxy Note release, Nexus phone release.

Last edited:
After the Sony Honami and Note 3, the Nexus-Five is the last hot phone to be revealed this year. Well I guess you can say the 5S too, but who gives two shits about that, it's just the iPhone 5 part 2. But I will admit I am excited to see what the iPhone 6 is like next Summer 2014, that should be Apple's big update to the phone. But for now the Nexus-Five is coolest phone release this Fall.

The 4S was a decent upgrade over the 4. I'd venture to say that what ever releases in a week will also be a decent upgrade.

I didn't find the 5 that big of an upgrade over the 4S. A laughable amount of screen space added and no other unique features.

Yet another win for Qualcomm.

They're in every phone but the iPhone. :eek:

And some of the GS4/Note 3 variants.

I keep wondering wtf happened with OMAP 5. They said it would be their last mobile SoC, but that's the last I've heard of and and that was about this time last year.

And some of the GS4/Note 3 variants.

I keep wondering wtf happened with OMAP 5. They said it would be their last mobile SoC, but that's the last I've heard of and and that was about this time last year.

According to Wikipedia they're in some dev boards and that's it. lol. Guess they were smart to get out when they did.

ugh... Would be so nice to know real price and and some specs...

Hope it's 300 and 350 still... IF not will feel dumb didn't get NeXus4

According to Wikipedia they're in some dev boards and that's it. lol. Guess they were smart to get out when they did.
TI has always operated that way. Basically conduct the initial R&D and be the first to bring to market in vast quantities...then get out when other players get in.

After the Sony Honami and Note 3, the Nexus-Five is the last hot phone to be revealed this year. Well I guess you can say the 5S too, but who gives two shits about that, it's just the iPhone 5 part 2. But I will admit I am excited to see what the iPhone 6 is like next Summer 2014, that should be Apple's big update to the phone. But for now the Nexus-Five is coolest phone release this Fall.

There is also the HTC One Max. There has also been the rumor of Samsung debuting another high end device using a different OS, Tizen.

Possibly HTC One and S4 variants using the S800 (already available in Korea for the latter) have been rumored as well.

Big downer is the rumored battery size at only 2300mAh, and not using the 3,000mAh battery from the G2.

There's always reasons a Nexus phone is sold so cheap, they gotta cut corners somewhere, but for the love of God, don't go cheap on battery, that's #1. I'd love to see a Moto MAXX size Nexus, with 3,500mAh battery.

But let's wait for official specs or better leaks, before I get my panties in a bunch.

Big downer is the rumored battery size at only 2300mAh, and not using the 3,000mAh battery from the G2.

There's always reasons a Nexus phone is sold so cheap, they gotta cut corners somewhere, but for the love of God, don't go cheap on battery, that's #1. I'd love to see a Moto MAXX size Nexus, with 3,500mAh battery.

But let's wait for official specs or better leaks, before I get my panties in a bunch.

Or they could... you know... optimize Android for better power efficiency.

I know they're two completely different platforms, but if iOS can last all day with a 1430 mAh battery, Android should last at least a couple days with a 2300+ mAh battery. I hope this is what they focus on in the next major revision. Large batteries are only masking the real issue and they take longer to charge.

I know they're two completely different platforms, but if iOS can last all day with a 1430 mAh battery, Android should last at least a couple days with a 2300+ mAh battery. I hope this is what they focus on in the next major revision. Large batteries are only masking the real issue and they take longer to charge.

Amen!

Correct me if I'm wrong - but it does look like this phone could support VZW? It supports EVDO rev. A and has LTE support for Band 4 which I believe VZW will start utilizing this year?

iOS force postponed the app when it's in background. Android on the other hand doesn't. Plus, Android has tons of background services running like crazy unlike iOS only allows GPS or VoIP related apps to run in the background. Which is why iOS drain battery pretty quick when using the app compare to Android, but last longer when it's idle.

It's one way or the other, which one you prefer. I prefer the way of iOS.
My dream machine would be iOS with Android customization... :p

Another reason is the native java support, if anything java is running it will drain the battery.

iOS force postponed the app when it's in background. Android on the other hand doesn't. Plus, Android has tons of background services running like crazy unlike iOS only allows GPS or VoIP related apps to run in the background. Which is why iOS drain battery pretty quick when using the app compare to Android, but last longer when it's idle.

It's one way or the other, which one you prefer. I prefer the way of iOS.
My dream machine would be iOS with Android customization... :p

Yeah, you can set Android to kill all background services in the dev options (or have 1 to 4 processes running too), but that sucks like when I'm in the car and have a few things going on at the same time (navigation, music/podcasts, car dock app, etc.). I Android let you selectively choose what apps can run in the background and which can't. Greenify does this if you're rooted, but a lot of times it locks my phone up when I add apps to Greenify and I think Greenify itself has to run in the background in order to keep killing/preventing the apps you selected from running in the background. There has to be a better way to do it natively.

I so want Verizon to have it, but you know Google will never deal with their shit again and refuse to give them any satisfaction... same with the Z1...

Back