Nexus 6 speculation

It's true. But they can (and will I'm sure) do what AT&T does; when you put a Verizon/AT&T SIM card in the phone, it triggers the carrier and phone to involuntarily download the bloatware to the phone. At which point you can still immediately uninstall it again and it shouldn't come back. You'll still be able to unlock the bootloader and root the phone as easy as any other Nexus as well, so it's not any more locked down.

good to know. Thanks man. Now its just a matter of putting up the cash up front to get it without the tramp stamp and sell my S5 or trading the S5 into VZW for a N6

5.1 update is glorious. HD calling on VZW is awesome. Too bad my Google Voice breaks it. :(

edit: 5.1 update did not cause VZW to push any bloat to my phone...at least not yet. Backup assistant is there but from what I read, it's baked into the stock google ROM. Will get rid of it once I get root going again.

5.1 update is glorious. HD calling on VZW is awesome. Too bad my Google Voice breaks it. :(

edit: 5.1 update did not cause VZW to push any bloat to my phone...at least not yet. Backup assistant is there but from what I read, it's baked into the stock google ROM. Will get rid of it once I get root going again.

Did you get the update OTA? Posting from 5.1 on VZW right now, but I grabbed the image directly from Google. It is nice. Seems much snappier so far. Hope the battery life is noticeably better. Still need to try that HD voice too..

Did you get the update OTA? Posting from 5.1 on VZW right now, but I grabbed the image directly from Google. It is nice. Seems much snappier so far. Hope the battery life is noticeably better. Still need to try that HD voice too..
Nope. Need to flash manually as I don't want forced encryption

It is glorious. Great update. Loved my Nexus 6 before but now it's even better. Performance is noticeably better.

I went from CM12 to 5.1 via the factory image. Looking forward to CM12.1 (assuming that number based on previous Android versions and CM versions).

The Verizon stuff is baked right in. Backup assistant and the VZWAPN.apk as well.

It is glorious. Great update. Loved my Nexus 6 before but now it's even better. Performance is noticeably better.

I went from CM12 to 5.1 via the factory image. Looking forward to CM12.1 (assuming that number based on previous Android versions and CM versions).

The Verizon stuff is baked right in. Backup assistant and the VZWAPN.apk as well.

It is "noticeably faster", because Google changed the CPU throttling to always onlining all 4 CPU cores. As explained by Franco here:

https://plus.google.com/+FranciscoFranco1990/posts/KB6JYHDG5U8

if I purchase a version from Amazon (much cheaper price than the google store for the 64gb version), will I have issues with voice on Verizon?

answer to my question is: no, no it won't :)

bought my N6 this weekend and I'm loving it so far.

Yea some people had issues getting non-VZW devices activated. Voice issues also depend on what baseband you are running. Given the plethora of different images last OTA, some folks ran into issues, though most are solved at this point.

Happy playing ;)

LOL at this one :D

Just moved from a OnePlus One to a Nexus 6. I also had the iPhone 6 Plus for 3 months recently.

Took my Wife's Nexus 6 this weekend, she wanted a smaller phone anyways. Immediately flashed Chroma ROM, and now on my second day with this beast, I LOVE it. Size wise, it doesn't feel substantially larger than my OnePlus, but quality wise it does feel night and day better. The display is so much nicer, with the deep AMOLED features, and just overall this phone feels tighter and better built.

I was all singing the OnePlus One's praises, calling it my fav Android phone, etc... but after two days with this Nexus 6, no way. Yes for the price of $350 of course the OPO is great, but other than that, the Nexus 6 just seems tons better. But for the price, the OnePlus One is the clear winner, but at the standard flagship pricing of $650 for majority of phones, I put the Nexus 6 as one of the best.

I know people say the Nexus is HUGE, and not easy to one hand. But let's be honest, most phones aren't one hand friendly anymore. My iPhone 6 Plus, was not easily one handed at all, the OnePlus One was difficult to use with one hand. I had the Note 3, and that thing was a two hander as well. Basically all Phablets are large, and not designed to be easily one handed like say the iPhone 5.

Just moved from a OnePlus One to a Nexus 6. I also had the iPhone 6 Plus for 3 months recently.

Took my Wife's Nexus 6 this weekend, she wanted a smaller phone anyways. Immediately flashed Chroma ROM, and now on my second day with this beast, I LOVE it. Size wise, it doesn't feel substantially larger than my OnePlus, but quality wise it does feel night and day better. The display is so much nicer, with the deep AMOLED features, and just overall this phone feels tighter and better built.

I was all singing the OnePlus One's praises, calling it my fav Android phone, etc... but after two days with this Nexus 6, no way. Yes for the price of $350 of course the OPO is great, but other than that, the Nexus 6 just seems tons better. But for the price, the OnePlus One is the clear winner, but at the standard flagship pricing of $650 for majority of phones, I put the Nexus 6 as one of the best.

I know people say the Nexus is HUGE, and not easy to one hand. But let's be honest, most phones aren't one hand friendly anymore. My iPhone 6 Plus, was not easily one handed at all, the OnePlus One was difficult to use with one hand. I had the Note 3, and that thing was a two hander as well. Basically all Phablets are large, and not designed to be easily one handed like say the iPhone 5.
LMAO! And, in a few weeks, we'll see you going back to your HTC One M8...

You HAVE to be kidding me... you need to give us at least 3 months before you move to the next "perfect" phone.

You HAVE to be kidding me... you need to give us at least 3 months before you move to the next "perfect" phone.

I'm like chicks with shoes, some woman like to have a closet full of shoes, and wear a different pair daily.

I could do the same with phones, give me like 6 top Flagship phones, and I would switch SIM's between them every couple days.

I'm like chicks with shoes, some woman like to have a closet full of shoes, and wear a different pair daily.

I could do the same with phones, give me like 6 top Flagship phones, and I would switch SIM's between them every couple days.

But what about the battery life? I remember you bitching that the battery life on the Nexus 6 sucks compared to the Iphone6+ and Oneplus. How can you live with yourself? Remember battery life is your #1 priority. Your words, not ours.

Yeah, got one the other day to replace my droid turbo. It's interesting. Great phone, not perfect but pretty damn good.

Crazy as this sounds, I am back to my OnePlus One, and let me explain.

The past 6 months, I've been lucky to have some cool smartphones; HTC One M8, OnePlus One, iPhone 6 Plus, and Nexus 6, and again the OnePlus One now, which IMO is the best for me of these four phones. The OPO to me feels like a true Nexus phone, like a Nexus 5-1/2. It even looks like a larger Nexus 5 :cool: Where as the giant Nexus 6 looks and feels very different and not really part of the Nexus line IMO.

The Nexus 6 is great, awesome AMOLED screen, super fast hardware, runs stock Android, with great ROM development. But this thing is a huge whale ( Shamu ) the width is just too hard to get comfortable with. yeah sitting on the couch at night with it is fun, like a mini tablet, but out and about, it's just too wide, and thick to use comfortably IMO. And battery life on the Nexus is just ok.

The iPhone 6 Plus was great too, it was Jailbreaked, and had a nice 5.5" screen, but the phone felt top heavy for some strange reason, was pretty hard to one hand operate, and iOS is just not my cup of tea, even JB, I still missed Android's customization, and software keys, etc...

The OnePlus One though, "just works", the size is very comfortable to me, and between the Nexus 6, iPhone 6, the OPO is the easiest to one hand, and use. The battery life with a custom kernel is off the charts great, I am getting 7.5h to 8h Screen On time, something the Nexus 6 could never do, best I get on the Nexus 6 is like 5.h Screen On time. But the iPhone 6 Plus is great battery life.

This is just my 2 cents.

Yeah, got one the other day to replace my droid turbo. It's interesting. Great phone, not perfect but pretty damn good.

I'm running a first gen Moto X and getting the itch to switch up. I was debating going back to an iPhone (6 non plus) but I've always liked the Nexus 6

I sold my iPhone 6 Plus, great phone, but iOS is just not for me.

I am back to another OnePlus One. which I owned last year, and a Nexus 6. Both are great or different reasons. Such a hard time deciding which one I like best, and to keep for daily driver. I have been switching back and forth between both each day this week LOL :)

OPO;

+ Best Android phone for battery life, I can get 7h to 8h Screen On time.
+ One handed use much easier on the OnePlus One, this phone feels
comfortable in the hand.
- Screen is dull and bluish, and just an average looking display.

Nexus 6;

+ Beautiful AMOLED display, a very nice looking large screen
+ Very fast hardware, runs smooth as butter 100% of the time.
- Very large phone, almost borderline ridiculously too big.
- Battery life just average, not bad, but not OPO great.

I sold my iPhone 6 Plus, great phone, but iOS is just not for me.

I am back to another OnePlus One. which I owned last year, and a Nexus 6. Both are great or different reasons. Such a hard time deciding which one I like best, and to keep for daily driver. I have been switching back and forth between both each day this week LOL :)

OPO;

+ Best Android phone for battery life, I can get 7h to 8h Screen On time.
+ One handed use much easier on the OnePlus One, this phone feels
comfortable in the hand.
- Screen is dull and bluish, and just an average looking display.

Nexus 6;

+ Beautiful AMOLED display, a very nice looking large screen
+ Very fast hardware, runs smooth as butter 100% of the time.
- Very large phone, almost borderline ridiculously too big.
- Battery life just average, not bad, but not OPO great.

Nexus 6 also has much better camera, much better speaker, stronger cell and WiFi reception, less buggy software but marginal battery life.

Oxygen OS and CM 12s are both still works in progress and OnePlus has a hard enough time keeping up with hardware issues let alone putting all your eggs in one basket with them on the hardware and software front.

OnePlus One has price going for it and insane battery life but in most other regards the current batch of flagships are just better phones.

OnePlus is a great phone but from when I owned both the Nexus is better in every respect other than battery life.

I want to use my Nexus 6, which I bought outright from Google when I travel to Tokyo this summer. Can I just buy a local sim and switch them out?

Edit.I could also just use an Xcom global modem for 14 dollars a day, unlimited data, which I did last time. Might be easier.

Last edited:
I want to use my Nexus 6, which I bought outright from Google when I travel to Tokyo this summer. Can I just buy a local sim and switch them out?

Edit.I could also just use an Xcom global modem for 14 dollars a day, unlimited data, which I did last time. Might be easier.

You can switch out SIMs just fine, you'll probably need to do a factory reset on your current ROM.

That being said you might also be able to just power off (swap SIMs) and then MultiROM another Android firmware and have it be your Japan SIM ROM, and not screw up your current install.

If you like ultra thin cases, but still have a lip to cover the front screen, and have a nice rubbery grip feel, this case is just right :cool: Feels great in the hand, and barely adds any bulk. This is almost sort of like the Apple leather case for the iPhone 6, but thinner, with same type of coverage.

Nillkin case for the Nexus 6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXD5QZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suck at photography, but wanted to show all angles of this case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Really liking my Nexus 6 :D

Have had it like a month now, and with the couple different ROM's I run, I average every day like 5.5h Screen On time, can sometimes squeeze out 6h SOT, but then the battery is in the red single %.

So battery life is pretty good, above average I would say. It's not killer awesome like the iPhone 6 Plus, but 5.5h SOT is above the minimum of getting the job done for me, during busy workdays.

Other than that, this phone is screaming fast, super smooth, and the large AMOLED screen, once dialed in with a custom kernel is beautiful.

And after a short while, the large size becomes comfortably normal. I have a very ultra thin Nillkin rubber case, and tempered glass protector, and it feels very light and thin, with good grip.

I would highly recommend this phone.

I am getting sick battery life on this ROM ( AOSiP 5.1.1. ) + hells-Core kernel b3.

Last couple of days, each day has been about the same for battery life usage. Unplug phone off the charge around 6:30am with 100% charge, and then do a full workday and night with pretty heavy use most of the day, I plug it back on the charger around 10:30pm, and says I have around 40% battery left, and at the time usually have 3.5h Screen On time. So if I ran that down to 0%, I would probably get over 6h to maybe 6.5h SOT.

When I do check the full usage on very heavy days, when the battery gets to the single digits %, I am typically at 5.5h SOT, sometimes close to 6h.

My point is, this ROM + Kernel, can easily give me 5.5h Screen on time, and lately closer to 6h SOT. That's pretty frigging good in my book.

Wait... what? Didn't you go back to the OPO? When did you decide to switch back? Zorachus, I need to make an app for you to track your device usage and switching...

App Name: Zorachus
App Description: For true fanboys out there with multiple phones. This app will track the usage of your phone, and let your friends know which phone you're using for a day on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. App is named after [H] forum member Zorachus, who seems to be switching phones on daily basis.

Wait... what? Didn't you go back to the OPO? When did you decide to switch back? Zorachus, I need to make an app for you to track your device usage and switching...

App Description: For true fanboys out there with multiple phones. This app will track the usage of your phone, and let your friends know which phone you're using for a day on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. App is named after [H] forum member Zorachus, who seems to be switching phones on daily basis.

ha LOL :D

Its pointless! He will have to uninstall the app because it will use extra battery of course :D

Also the app will have to be updated every week :p

Wait, so I'm completely lost. Are you the same Android nerd who switched to an Apple and had that long thread professing how awesome it was, then switched to an OPO, now a Nexus 6?

Did I get that right? :D

In the meantime, I sold my Galaxy Note 3 and bought a Galaxy Note 4. That took all of about a year. :p

Not bad now, pretty much getting 6.5h SOT ;) And this was on the 4G network all day, no WiFi. I unplugged the phone off a full charged at 6:30am, and took this screen shot pic at 7:00pm. Also using Auto Brightness.

But what setting is the camera video ? This phone takes absolutely amazing HD videos. I was at the track tonight with my kids, we got a special tour of the horses and stables, I took videos of it. Everyone was blown away by the quality. Crystal clear, very fluid, extreme high quality.

I'm hoping the OnePlus Two is a bigger success. They deserve it for a high quality product at rock bottom prices.

For those who may not be aware, the newest Nexus 6 builds are beginning to roll out! These are 5.1.1 builds and (for T-Mobile anyway) these add WiFi Calling to the Nexus 6 features, finally! This is important, especially for Google Fi interested users, and for all those who want the next generation VoLTE / WiFi Calling with use of the HD Audio codec!

Keep your eyes open. If you're interested in something besides stock Android and/or are comfortable with flashing the newest yourself, head over to XDA Developers. Lots of talk over there.

I will admit - I pulled the trigger and am now a Nexus 6 user :D

I have the 5.1.1 update already, the phone is like buttah :cool:

Though I still need to decrypt and reset my phone... I'll do that when time permits.

Back