Nexus 6 speculation

How is One+ selling a phone with top end specs for $300 and 64Gb for only $350. Even if they are losing money and not breaking even, it can't be that much.

Well, they did specifically say they were doing it to build a reputation. Selling at a loss was a fast way of doing that. Of course, that implies that once they get a good enough rep and distribution infrastructure (so they can start selling devices in the general marketplace) they'll stop selling at that price.

Get up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging.* With a large 3220 mAh battery, you get over 24 hours of use from a full charge.†

Is this real life?

Does RAM amount really matter all that much? I've never heard of a Nexus device running low on RAM. I've only ever heard that with phones running 1GB or less (like the iPhone 5S).

And theres no way the Nexus 9 would've been priced the same as the Nexus 7. The N9 is an upgrade to it in every way (Far faster CPU, 4:3 resolution, HTC BoomSound front-facing stereo speakers, double tap to wake and a MUCH larger battery) and the N6 kind of invalidates the existence of the N7.

Its also several years later; at the time of the N7 (both v1 and v2)'s introduction it had top-of-the-line specs very similar to the Nexus phones at the time and maintained a low price. And with regards to RAM, given the increasing amount of multitasking, higher demands upon today's devices and the relatively low costs (financially, and in terms of space/cooling etc..) of RAM, especially if devices are being made with heavier use in mind, it seems an oversight to barely increment RAM. They're putting in higher resolution screens, incrementally powerful SOC's and GPUs etc.. and people are using them for more multitasking, more intense and sustained tasks. One wouldn't buy a $2000 PC with a high end AMD/NV GPU and Core i7, only to put in 2gb (or even 4gb) of RAM in it - it would be even worse if it wasn't upgradable, like today's mobile devices! Its also worthwhile to note that the Nexus 7 mk2 and Nexus 4 both had 2GB of RAM, so I really expect a bit more for a $399 minimum tablet that claims to be better because of its 64-bit processor and fancy new Kepler GPU; seems a strange pairing for such a low amount of RAM. Likewise, even on the Nexus 6 they could at least upstage last-year's flagships for the cost and put 4GB in both the new Nexus devices

With regards to the cost, especially in the wake of OnePlus trying to break into the market and using disruptive pricing, its even more frustrating to see the reasonable prices of the past few Nexus device generations going away. Especially in an era when smartphone manufacturing should be cheaper than ever and where manufacturers have a huge audience, it really stings to hear them crying poor about one device that isn't sold for exorbitant cost (I won't even get into how scale, tech, and wide adoption should in general mean ALL smartphones should be less costly etc.). The Nexus line is meant to appeal to the enthusiast, developer and "pays straight out for their unlocked device" market, all of which give back to Google, Android and their partners. Most users would never buy a smartphone if it cost them $699 or more, straight out and thus get their devices subsidized by carriers and the like in one way or another. Direct sales of Nexus devices means not having to share any of those profits with carriers, cut them in on a deal etc. There are also intangible benefits of enthusiasts and developers contributing to everything from AOSP derived projects to making apps to fill Google Play and other markets. Futhermore, amongst those individuals who DO pay straight out for an open device etc... the Nexus line have been hugely successful, to the point that the volume of sales likely eclipses the profit made if the individual price was higher.

If this is yet another case of the industry figuring "Yeah, the rubes will pay for that. We could ask plenty more and they always open their wallet. After all, look at what they're willing to pay for Apple gear", that's bad enough. However, its just insulting to have all these hardware manufacturers either A) Whining that a single high end device sold to enthusiasts, despite the success of the past, will somehow empoverish them or B) complaining that said device will be "too good" and show the rest of their proprietary, expensive, garbage-UI having devices to be embarrassing, and thus such a device can't be sold. I'm just tired of watching so many industries from gaming to technology and beyond simply decide that past successes - good products for reasonable prices etc... are inferior to simply always charging more and mostly, giving less. It moves to enraging when they seem to claim poverty that they just "have to" make these changes when its nothing of the sort, asking us to feel sorry for their unfettered greed and complete disregard for their customers' experience.

While I like it, Google is really going to struggle selling these at this $650 (I don't believe that figure). They've used the Nexus brand to push into areas which aren't being utilised. Take the Nexus7(s) for example, they arrived with decent spec's AND pretty cheap. I think they did a lot to grow the Android tablet market, Phablets are in similar situation right now.

Maybe Google wants to brand the Nexus as Apple does.
Sell the flagship Android phone directly, and all others are lower tier carrier phones.

While I like it, Google is really going to struggle selling these at this $650 (I don't believe that figure). They've used the Nexus brand to push into areas which aren't being utilised. Take the Nexus7(s) for example, they arrived with decent spec's AND pretty cheap. I think they did a lot to grow the Android tablet market, Phablets are in similar situation right now.
They are putting them in carrier stores. They'll be sold on contract at $199 just like every other flagship phone.
Nexus as a dev phone is dead. Nexus is now just Google's phone.
And the N5 isn't going away or getting any less awesome.

So I take it that none of these have an OLED display? Goodbye.

It has an AMOLED display.....

The only reason they wouldn't sell alot is due to marketing. Almost any Android enthusiast would buy this. Its an amazing phone for the price! The plus side this time is that its being sold on every carrier and not just the play store

For an unlocked phone with stock Android that is what everyone else is charging...actually a bit less for the Play Edition handsets.

I look back fondly at this poet's great foresight in penning his thoughts speaking of the Note 1 a scant 2 years ago:

The phone is too big. You will look stupid talking on it, people will laugh at you, and you’ll be unhappy if you buy it. I really can’t get around this, unfortunately, because Samsung pushed things way too far this time.

http://bgr.com/2012/02/13/samsungs-galaxy-note-is-the-most-useless-phone-ive-seen/

I literally just searched for "nexus oled" in Google's news search and there were zero results. Then I saw that the tablet uses an IPS and assumed that the others would be the same.

THE NEXUS 6 HAS AN OLED SCREEN?

I literally just searched for "nexus oled" in Google's news search and there were zero results. Then I saw that the tablet uses an IPS and assumed that the others would be the same.

THE NEXUS 6 HAS AN OLED SCREEN?

It has an AMOLED screen..........................................................

The price tag is real. Looks like google is trying to brig these devices mainstream and in order to go mainstream, the OEMs actually have to be able to make money.

FYI, they are not discontinuing Nexus 5.

I don't see the issue with the price. Don't newer, high-end unlocked phones generally go for like $800?

So will I be able to walk into Verizon to buy this, or will I have to order from the Play Store and it's 5 available units on launch day?

Maybe Google wants to brand the Nexus as Apple does.
Sell the flagship Android phone directly, and all others are lower tier carrier phones.
The difference is that the only devices running Apple software is Apple devices (how else did you explain their topend prices for a duel-core phone with a gig of ram in 2014?). You can't really compare a monopoly to the fierce competition on the Android side.

It has an AMOLED display.....

The only reason they wouldn't sell alot is due to marketing. Almost any Android enthusiast would buy this. Its an amazing phone for the price! The plus side this time is that its being sold on every carrier and not just the play store
Yes it looks great (image attached!), but for that kind of money I want more. A memory card slot especially, and a replaceable battery would be nice too (as they age first).
N6-grid3.jpg

(actual size :D)

I look back fondly at this poet's great foresight in penning his thoughts speaking of the Note 1 a scant 2 years ago:

http://bgr.com/2012/02/13/samsungs-galaxy-note-is-the-most-useless-phone-ive-seen/
People want to do more with their phones year on year, which is why they've been growing bigger.

I knew there'd be some inevitable bullshit about this phone. No SD card slot? No one wants to fucking put their media in the cloud, jackasses. And non-removable battery? Uh.

Also, wasn't this supposed to be 64-bit? Well, at least the Nexus 9 is. Oh wait, that uses an IPS screen. Fail.

Price is insane but I'm up for an upgrade on ATT so thats good for me.

I knew there'd be some inevitable bullshit about this phone. No SD card slot? No one wants to fucking put their media in the cloud, jackasses. And non-removable battery? Uh.

Also, wasn't this supposed to be 64-bit? Well, at least the Nexus 9 is. Oh wait, that uses an IPS screen. Fail.

Nobody expected it to have an SD card slot. Everyone knew Google went away from expandable storage. No one said it'll have a 64-bit processor. And even if it was supposed to have one, you won't see any immediate benefit from one. It's just a larger number for all intents and purposes.

There's some misplaced rage in your post.

I just like overreacting to everything. :D

Guess I'm just too used to the hardware/features on my Note.

If the droid turbo has a developer edition I will get that, if not then I am getting the nexus 6 on verizon. I'm tired of not being able to change my phone to how I want.

The Droid Turbo actually seems like a better phone with its bigger battery, but I heard Motorola camera software is crap and the back is ugly as sin.

If the droid turbo has a developer edition I will get that, if not then I am getting the nexus 6 on verizon. I'm tired of not being able to change my phone to how I want.

My guess is that nexus and droid turbo are same phone on the inside. If there is an unlockable booloader, you could probably turn it into a gpe phone pretty easily.

XDA is your friend. You don't need dev editions or Nexus devices to change your phone how you want. I unlocked the bootloader on my (Verizon) One M8 out of the box with ease and put a debloated Sense ROM on it. You can do the same on the G3 and GS5 (at least root last I saw) on Verizon too. I think Sunshine will work on the Moto X to unlock it as well.

If you're concerned about warranty, it's a non-issue. I've warrantied 3 or 4 phones that I unlocked the bootloader on with no issues, but the last couple times I actually re-locked them before sending them in just in case.

I think the biggest reason I would go for this device is $50 price on contract, right off the bat. Thats heavy subsidies. Thats more real estate and better OS support for $50 less then a new Note 4. However if multiwindow and the other bag of tricks (s-pen) are a must then the Nexus 6 is kinda pointless. Its just a bigger version of the newly released X.

XDA is your friend.

Its your friend if your phone is rootable or unlockable. My maxx is on 4.4.4, no root, bootloader unlock from china middle man only works on phones made in 2014, mine is 2013. Sunshine unlock only works on 4.4.3 and lower, claims that it works on 4.4.4 is based only on if you kept root from a previous version. It doesn't work at all on a stock 4.4.4.

I can't decide if I want this or the Droid Turbo. I'm already on Verizon and I'm due for an upgrade immediately.

The Droid Turbo actually seems like a better phone with its bigger battery, but I heard Motorola camera software is crap and the back is ugly as sin.

Do you really care what the back of the phone looks like? I don't spend time looking at the back plus mine will covered in a case anyway.

The software con could be real though, have to wait for reviews I guess.

I can't decide if I want this or the Droid Turbo. I'm already on Verizon and I'm due for an upgrade immediately.

If Turbo gets root I think it hands down is better than this.

Advantages of Turbo:

1) It has a much better battery driving a smaller display === Much much better battery life

2) It isn't a tablet like the Nexus 6

3) Better camera (at least specs wise)

4) Moto software features

Disadvantages:

1) Not unlocked, will be at the mercy of working root

2) Slower software updates because it is not a nexus device

If Turbo gets root I think it hands down is better than this.

Advantages of Turbo:

1) It has a much better battery driving a smaller display === Much much better battery life

2) It isn't a tablet like the Nexus 6

3) Better camera (at least specs wise)

4) Moto software features

Disadvantages:

1) Not unlocked, will be at the mercy of working root

2) Slower software updates because it is not a nexus device

I agree with your Turbo advantages and I'll probably still get a Nexus anyway. Pure Android on Verizon, I feel like that's a dream that I need to support!

Hopefully we'll have some good pro reviews in the upcoming weeks to help me cement my decision.

Turbo camera has no OIS which is a pretty big deal.

I'm wondering what the contract price will be on the carriers.

There's basically no loophole to retain unlimited data on Verizon now, right? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Verizon is only offering $180 for my Note 3, so fuck that. Seems like I should get at least $300 for it.

There's basically no loophole to retain unlimited data on Verizon now, right? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Verizon is only offering $180 for my Note 3, so fuck that. Seems like I should get at least $300 for it.

Ordering through a third party lets you keep it if they display it as you are checking out (bestbuy/amazon etc).

I'd go with the Turbo if it didn't have those god awful capacitive buttons. Hopefully amazon sells the nexus 6 directly because I have a decent amount of credit there and I want it.

Back