Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure ???

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
The Nexus 6 is $40 Cheaper (32GB Nexus, 16GB Pure).

The Pure has a MicroSD card slot for expansion, the Nexus does not.

The Nexus 6 may just have jumped the shark on size.

The screen on the Nexus may be a bit better, but that's debatable I guess.

I really liked the Alcatel Idol 3 I originally bought last week, and I do think it's a bargain at $249, but I had to box it up for return yesterday. The SIM started to read intermittently, and the SD Card stopped reading. Don't think I want to go that route again.

I can entertain other idea's. $400 is my absolute ceiling.

I've read dozens of online comparisons and still can't decide. I need info from people with actual hands-on experience.

Love my Nexus 6. Its really not too big unless you have tiny hands.

Get an LG G3 or the 4GB / 16GB Zenfone. Both $200ish+/-.

I bought the nexus 6 3x thinking that I should be loving this phone, what am I doing wrong with this phone.. but just never got into it. I'm 6'6" so hand size wasn't an issue. I just never liked the 'hand feel' (or whatever).

I've got an LG G3 (new, was $189 unlocked on a Slickdeal a few weeks ago). I had the 4GB Zenfone, I'm just OCD about excessive bloat (G3 is very clean).

Since switching from Sprint to TMobile in June I've gone through:

One Plus One, Xiaomi Mi Note, Xiaomi Redmi Note, Kingzone N1, Nexus 6, Asus Zenfone 2 4/16, One Plus Two and now the LG G3. I may have a phone buying compulsion/addiction.

God bless TMobile tho for enabling me to try all these devices. You suckers and your 2 year lockin muaha!

Front stereo speakers are a requirement for me as I will be using it for a lot of media stuff.

The MicroSD card reader and somewhat more up to date hardware have me leaning towards the X Pure 16GB

There are lot of Youtube vids comparing the Moto X Pure and old Nexus 6 for this very reason and most of them still say go with the Moto X Pure, which I would agree with. The X Pure has some legitimately useful software features over stock Android, expandable storage, better/smaller size, better camera and I would argue better/brighter display because of the yellow/pink tint issues on the N6 AMOLED. Plus I'm still seeing people complain that their N6s haven't been updated to Marshmallow yet, so it seems like the X Pure will have about the same update schedule while still being a year newer so it may see longer support still.

It all comes down to personal preference. Take a look at what is most important for you and see what people say about that aspect of each phone. For me updates are king, so the Nexus would be a better device. with updates coming right from Google as soon as they are released. Motorola has stock-ish android, but their devices lag behind and its only gotten worse over the last year. They have even broken written promises to their customers about phone updates.

It all comes down to personal preference. Take a look at what is most important for you and see what people say about that aspect of each phone. For me updates are king, so the Nexus would be a better device. with updates coming right from Google as soon as they are released. Motorola has stock-ish android, but their devices lag behind and its only gotten worse over the last year. They have even broken written promises to their customers about phone updates.

Apparently not, Nexus 6 now usually gets its update from carrier, not Google anymore if you want to get the OTA update. The manual update is still there for you to download and update the phone manually.

Apparently not, Nexus 6 now usually gets its update from carrier, not Google anymore if you want to get the OTA update. The manual update is still there for you to download and update the phone manually.

AFAIK, the update is still from Google (aka AT&T/Verizon/carriers don't get to touch or modify it)

for 5.0/5.1, each carrier might have a specific Nexus 6 build (eg Project fi had some custom builds, T-mobile had custom builds for wifi calling)

For 6.0, seems like it's one unified build.... if you haven't gotten OTA-to-6.0 yet, wait a while or flash manually... after that, you should get OTAs automatically (each OTA is released in rounds... you might be in a later round if unlucky, but will still get it)

Where did you read that?

Where did you read that?

My nexus 4 got updated to lollipop after 2 weeks. I'm using the nexus 6 now and haven't got marshmallow yet. Google's official rom is out but the phone prioritize t-mobile's build so I'm still here stuck with lollipop. And yes, I didn't read about that. I experienced that by myself. I won't stay with nexus devices anymore for this sole reason. Might even switch to iOS since their updates are very consistent regardless of the carrier. And I don't have to disable java in Safari to get a stutter-free web browsing experience.:mad:

My nexus 4 got updated to lollipop after 2 weeks. I'm using the nexus 6 now and haven't got marshmallow yet. Google's official rom is out but the phone prioritize t-mobile's build so I'm still here stuck with lollipop. And yes, I didn't read about that. I experienced that by myself. I won't stay with nexus devices anymore for this sole reason. Might even switch to iOS since their updates are very consistent regardless of the carrier. And I don't have to disable java in Safari to get a stutter-free web browsing experience.:mad:

N6 Project Fi users are still on 5.0 as well, so nothing suprising. Just sideload or ADB reflash it, or pull sim and factory reset and when you connect to wifi, the 6.0 update will start.

Yes the carriers are holding it up, they always do. My wifes N6 is still on 5.11 and she just got the nov security update last week, which is more important than 6.0. My 6.0 is still on October security update, which is more annoying to me than the 5.0>6.0 upgrade.

Honestly I would not buy a motorola. I've had a droid x, galaxy nexus, note 2, droid maxx, note 4, and nexus 6p. The only phones I have had to have replaced under warranty were the motorolas (the droid maxx multiple times). Also motorola dropped the ball on updates. My droid maxx is still on 4.4, it was promised 2 years of updates when I got it. As soon as the new model came out (the turbo) pretty much all support for it stopped. Supposedly its going to get 6.0 but I doubt it as it doesn't even have 5.0 yet, my bet is they say its in the works and a year from now, they say "oh nobody has this phone anymore so we aren't going to release it" when they probably never worked on it. I'd personally be pretty wary, I honestly don't believe they will support it very well after the new device comes out next year.

Honestly I would not buy a motorola. I've had a droid x, galaxy nexus, note 2, droid maxx, note 4, and nexus 6p. The only phones I have had to have replaced under warranty were the motorolas (the droid maxx multiple times). Also motorola dropped the ball on updates. My droid maxx is still on 4.4, it was promised 2 years of updates when I got it. As soon as the new model came out (the turbo) pretty much all support for it stopped. Supposedly its going to get 6.0 but I doubt it as it doesn't even have 5.0 yet, my bet is they say its in the works and a year from now, they say "oh nobody has this phone anymore so we aren't going to release it" when they probably never worked on it. I'd personally be pretty wary, I honestly don't believe they will support it very well after the new device comes out next year.

Droid Turbo got 5.1 back in July. It was delayed for so long because Verizon was having issues with VoLTE and kept it from being updated until it was working properly. Also all OEMs didn't want to update to Lollipop/5.0 initially because of the bad memory leaks until it was fixed in 5.1, so that delayed the update for most phones as well.

And I wouldn't complain about the OEM for carrier exclusive phones either; they're pretty much completely at the mercy of the carrier and I would never expect them to have reliable/fast updates, even if they're Droid phones.

What does the turbo getting 5.1 have to do with the Maxx getting it? You say they are at the mercy of the carrier, but when google owned motorola the verizon motorola devices got some updates even before some of the nexus devices so that is not an excuse. Lenovo just doesn't care now, as soon as motorola was sold the updates pretty much stopped for all old phones (some old phones still get them but at a very slow pace now).

Back