Nexus 5 and credit/debit cards

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Ran into a funny thing today... my wife was using her Nexus 5 with new case that also holds credit/debit cards. I heard the phone making a funny beeping sound. Asked her what it was and she said it's been doing it lately. Played with it and figured out, it's the pay to tap chip in the card triggering the nfc chip in the Nexus 5. Anyone else ever experience this? (I realize you Yankees don't have tap cards... but other countries do). And if this is "normal" would it be possible for someone to read a CC with an nfc enabled phone?? :confused:

Ran into a funny thing today... my wife was using her Nexus 5 with new case that also holds credit/debit cards. I heard the phone making a funny beeping sound. Asked her what it was and she said it's been doing it lately. Played with it and figured out, it's the pay to tap chip in the card triggering the nfc chip in the Nexus 5. Anyone else ever experience this? (I realize you Yankees don't have tap cards... but other countries do). And if this is "normal" would it be possible for someone to read a CC with an nfc enabled phone?? :confused:

We have tap cards and we don't have beady little eyes and flapping heads.

We have tap cards and we don't have beady little eyes and flapping heads.

Indeed. The flapping heads are the Canadians. :p

Why would you think the US wouldn't have the NFC cards? Lol

I avoid them though because I think they're more of a security risk. Anyone with a RFID scanner could scan your card through your pocket if they get close enough and you don't have them in a protective sleeve (taking up more room in my wallet). For the negligible convenience benefit of NFC, I don't see the point in using them when it's just as easy to swipe the card rather than hold it up to a receiver.

Back