Next Version Of Windows In 3 Years

Not exactly the same since dropping 2000 would be nice but this is just a humorous situation involving 3 year upgrades and even longer hardware intervals.

Because of our upgrade cycle at work we are still running 2000. With the way the cycle runs we will probably have these PC's for another 2 years or so...at which time we will probably be going to Vista unless something goes horribly wrong. Somehow we very well could completely miss XP :eek:

I was more of speaking towards the desktop users. The server market is completely different; I'm still running 2000 in some of the servers at work, for the simple reason that we cannot afford to down them long enough to upgrade them. One of our clients are still running NT for the same reason. :eek:

Adios Vista!
Hello compatability headache! 7
Did Vista even get a sp yet or all the drivers fixed before they planned it's replacement?
Likely my next purchase will be the next MacOS.:D

Did Vista even get a sp yet or all the drivers fixed before they planned it's replacement?
No SP yet. But it would be foolish of Microsoft to ignore development of the next version of windows until the previous one is out the door. The big shareholders and decision-makers have lots of stock, so they have a vested interest in the long-term profitability of the company.

Adios Vista!
Hello compatability headache! 7
Likely my next purchase will be the next MacOS.:D

7 which I think is Vienna which was Blackcomb was planned long before Vista's (which was known as Longhorn) code restart back in 2003. It's not unusual to have several generations of product planned, on the drawing board and being prepped for realeased at the same time. Just look at Intel, they were developing Conroe, researching Penryn, and planning Nehalem when Prescott was released.

Why not instead of making a new OS version... fix vista first with the drivers issue..etc then work on a new OS.

People just need to realize that an OS that has just been released with a total rewrite of code is in no way going to be able to compete with an OS that has been out for 6 years. It takes time to build up software and drivers for any OS, especially one that is brand spanking new to market. There is no way Vista could have come out with 100% compatibility with XP software/drivers.

3 years is a long time. 5 years was a REALLY long time.

Within 3 years we'll have 8, 16 and 32 core cpus. Geforce 9 and 10 will come out. And real 64bit computing.

Most importantly, you'll probably build a new computer within 2 years, if not next year. If you want to keep your dx9 cards and watch next gen games for the next year 3 years pass you by and keep your old slow 32bit OSes, you're all retarded. Haha.

... you're all retarded. Haha.

hahaimusingtehinternet42280dp.jpg

If Microsoft was designing the Mayan calendar, we would have until 2015 :D

I agree that MS should hedge their release dates with a very strong approximate release date, I think the last one that was on time was Win 95. ;)

If Microsoft was designing the Mayan calendar, we would have until 2015 :D

I agree that MS should hedge their release dates with a very strong approximate release date, I think the last one that was on time was Win 95. ;)

I think even Win 95 was 6-9 months late.

Yeah, but the Mayan calender runs out in 2012. Hmmm...

Actually History? channel has it 2016, as well as the I-Chin running out then as well:eek: :eek: :eek:
THOUGH... someone said that The Mayan calender actually flips and restarts, logically the fact that the I-Chin is based on a set # of coins means it has to stop at one point.
One more scary fact to think about though is that Dec21 gives us full planarity alignment
The new Mayan info makes me happy now

3 years from now is probably right around the time Ill be moving to Vista..:)
Unless something drastic happens to my XP install...I'm running way to smooth to upgrade.

Back