Next Crytek game (not Far Cry 2, but Crysis) Amazing GFX

I was looking at the PC games of 2006 mega list and stumbled upon the next crytek game. Its not gonna be Far Cry 2, its gonna be a game called crysis. Here is some kind of graphics from it.

I don't know what exactly these are from, but this is using directx 10 and those faces look like enemies or something. Those look incredibly detailed and sweet, I can't wait to find out more! I bet they are enemies or something. This is supposed to be the most graphically advanced game ever (according to what I read in the mega thread description). All I have to say is wow! Anyone else know more?

Yeah I think there was a shakycam vid posted here that showed some of this off, such as volumetric clouds, advanced shaders and awesome collision models.

Looks like something to upgrade for :)

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I was looking at the PC games of 2006 mega list and stumbled upon the next crytek game. Its not gonna be Far Cry 2, its gonna be a game called crysis. Here is some kind of graphics from it.

I don't know what exactly these are from, but this is using directx 10 and those faces look like enemies or something. Those look incredibly detailed and sweet, I can't wait to find out more! I bet they are enemies or something. This is supposed to be the most graphically advanced game ever (according to what I read in the mega thread description). All I have to say is wow! Anyone else know more?

It looks like an army of Majic Johnsons. I'm scared now... :eek:

They only have 2 games, so I wouldn't say it's cheese yet... Who cares about the title if the game is good tho. Man, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now, i'm going to college and need to build a new rig but all this new technology is coming out between now and then, this is gonna be tricky to figure out which parts to build with...

That looks so sick. Too bad all of our current cards are going to do like 15fps at minimum settings on it.

Oh dear neatness. My 9800 would melt.
If anyone really, really wants me to, I could try translating the german.

J-M-E said:
That looks so sick. Too bad all of our current cards are going to do like 15fps at minimum settings on it.

What about that DUAL SLI 7800GTX 512MB in SLI .. muahahaha

Oh god that's ridiculous.

Does anyoe have a slightly less ress version? This one causes artifacting, sue to it being so huge.

Here is a copy and paste of the story:

Page 29

The Story

An unknown object (not an asteriod because it didn´t cause enough damage) hits an island in the Pacific, and the North Koreans send their army to investiage the issue, and so does China and the US sends two carrier there as well. The tensions between the NK and US are close to a war, so the US starts a CovertOp and sends in Jake Dunn (our character) and a small team to infiltrate and investigate the situation on the island. He and his team make a HALO jump at night and unlike in "NOLF", this isn´t a special level but we actually fall several miles thru air and the beautiful volumetric clouds and can steer our ´chute onto the island beneath us. There are no annoying level loadings and every object casts his own shadows which move accordingly as the times passes by just like in real life.

At first Dunn and his men are sneaking thru the jungle, listening to what the NK soldiers are saying, and investigating artifacts in a similar way like you can do in "Condemned" with a scanner and after sending it to your carrier you´ll receive ammo drops or weapon modifications.

Page 30 (Picture description: Notice how the dynamic sun movement changes the "mood" of the exact location. In the evening the jungle casts long shadows and a moody scary scene while middays the jungle has bright vibrant colors. All pictures are not pre-rendered but actual ingame pictures.)

Although the first actions of you and your team are covert and sneaking, soon you will take good use of your arms (pistols, MPs, assault rifles, sniper). All weapons are 3D objects and can collide with trees or other solid objects, so if you want to actual hit your targets, better make sure your rifle is lined up properly. (the way it is explained, it seems that the game helps you to line it up automatically as well. thats my guess though)

More details on the physics

The physical realism in Crysis is very amazing and doesn´t end at at the guns, but every object that looks like it can be moved, can actually. The times when a single leaf/branch stops the player are definitly over. Actually almost every object is destructable. We are droping trees and crush fences, detonate houses and even "damage" grass and leave trail behind us as we go thru the jungle. As we crouch into the grass, we actually feel safe because unlike in Far Cry, the AI does not see thru the grass but it does notice unnatural movement of the grass, and starts to investage the area.

The weapons

Almost every weapon in Crysis can be customized. You can either mount silencers, scopes, lasers. Jake itself is a mod-able weapon, he wears a Nano Muscle Suit. This suit does not only give him some armour and enhances his strenght and speed but the player can actually move the suits energy to either increase the armour/shield, speed, strenght. You can assign hotkeys to this energy management system and quickly change the settings of the suit. For a retreat you´d for instance try to maximize running speed etc. The suit can also heal you but of course all actions with the suit cost energy, but after a while it re-charges itself.

Page 31 (the AI Koreans are smart, they re-group and attack the people in the "building" simultaneously)

The suit can also help Jake to sneak around (costs energy as well) as it can reduce his noises, but if you forget to turn it off and fire a loud weapon, you can see how you waste your suits energy.

Holiday on ice

An AC might be a standard item in almost every car, but even Jakes suit has one as well and it will soon save his life. Because the unknown piece from outer space is not an asteriod but actually an alien ship who want to terraform the earth into an ice world. In a scene all out of sudden the aliens fire their ships ice cannon and parts of the jungle are now iced. This happens realtime ingame, the level doesn´t reload or anything like that. We can see how the area/island gets iced further and further as the time passes by. Game designer Bern Diemer told us "there won´t be any pre-rendered video clips that pull the player out of tense and nervwracking scenes". (similar like COD I guess)

The enemies become allies

After the surprise attack by aliens, the US and North Koreans now are allies and try to fight off the threat to all humans together. You might be now wondering if NKs have no bad feelings about Jake all out of sudden? They do. In Crysis the former enemies don´t forget what you have done. A Korean general knows exaclty what you have done with his soldiers. Have you killed many of them, especially out of situations where you suprised them, he won´t co-operate with you completely and might keep imporant information for himself or even "hiddes" equipment or ammo. All major NPCs have this kind of "memory" in Crysis and with the right actions Jake can even end up in a romantic relathionship with a hot female soldier. The main plot isn´t affected by this but the various side plots increase the replay value of Crysis tremendously.

Page 32 (picture: for the night we have mounted a silencer on our rifle. Our compass seems to be broken because the sun goes down in the north)

"Farewell brothers"

Crysis even remembers our most spectacular attacks. When we fraged several aliens at the same with a well placed ´nate, a young soldier told us his amazement shortly after. Thanks to this we feel like a part of this world, that we can affect it and get to know the characters and therefore its even a little painful if our fellow mates get killed. The AI teammates however act independently and the player can´t give them any orders or commands. The devs told us they wanted the gameplay to be concentrated on Jake Dunn and our fellow soldiers don´t affect the main plot anyway. If they get killed they are simply not available in the next misson/chapter. So when things get really bad and your whole team is dead, you´ll end up celebrating your victory alone at the end of the game. BTW, we found our young soldier later on half way iced inside a huge ice block.

Cold War

The aliens have 2 primary weapons, the "Molecular Accelerator" shoots ice nails and doesn´t need ammo but far more spectaculor is the "Molecular Arrester". With that one we can freeze our enemy and split him into little ice cubes .... in realtime. If we get iced ourself, the Nano suit can safe our life if it has enough energy and the action can continue. Our suit has another advantage in the war against the aliens. He can drop our body temperature so deep that the alliens won´t see us anymore (they only see thermal vision). This obviously works only a short time, uses a lot of energy and can cause damage to Jack. The suit has also an emergency function where it sends out a shockwave and all enemies in area (maybe 50m around us) can´t fight us for a little while. The suit can also malfunction and take a little longer than usual to recharge after using the emergency function.

Freeroaming

In Crysis there will be huge partly metallic enemies who Jake has to climb on (with magnetic shoes lol). Jake won´t be walking the whole time on ceilings and walls unlike the hero in "Prey" but later on he will be "floating" inside the alien ship because it won´t have any gravity.

Page 33 (Detail in Crysis is not a rare thing, notice the labels on the missiles, the starting officers vest and btw, Jake can pilot these VTOLs himelf. Other picture: Not only the sun is casting dynamic shadows, but so do explosions and fires)

The battles in air will be similar amazing. Yes Jake won´t only to use jeeps, or small vehicles, but also helicopters and high-tec jets. There won´t be any noticeable dead ends of the levels, but just like in FarCry when you leave beyond the limit you will either be stopped by the own troups, the aliens or a tropical storm.

A short vacation

As intense the Crysis adventure feels, its also short like it. The game is about 10 hours long, and frustating scenes like in FarCry won´t exists, in Crysis we are allowed to save our game at any time. Crytek wants to improve the multiplayer as well, and will include DM, TDM, CTF, and a more tactical mode similar to BF2 but unlike holding positions, it will actually be special artifacts that give the team special abilities, like weapons, upgrades, vehicles. The opposing team can steal these artifacts and vice versa. There won´t be any aliens in MP and a coop mode for SP won´t most likely be added either.

Destination unknown

While the guys from Crytek are still far from an official release date, CEO Cevat Yerli was optimistic: "The work on Crysis advances nicely and we are aiming at an release in Q4 2006." The red box also said that the game is finished around 60%.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
please do!

Ok. Beginning with this one.

[ The technology behind Crysis ]
Cry-engine 2
Today, far Cry with the newest patch is one of the prettiest FPSes. How the Cry-Engine 2 will make it look old, you will learn in our technology special.
[ first two images ]
Every leaf is modelled by Crytech with polygons, sunlight and shadows, and the moving flora wakes the ur-forest to life. Later the jungle freezes to a bizzare ice-world.
[ more images ]
Unlike in Far Cry, the clouds are not the limit of the skybox. Thus high mountain tops appear (poke?) through the unbelivably realistic volumetric clouds.

[ main text ]
In Crysis, modern graphics technology comes together to set the standard their competitors will be compared to. The Cry-Engine 2 supports dual-core CPUs, and the Shader Model 3 lights the game with HDR and uses -according to Crytech- more effects for a single tree than other engines uses for complete games.

A dynamic world
The requirements for the Cry-Engine 2 were: Everything dynamically lighted in real time, interactive, and even destructible. The sun rises in the east and later sets in the west, clouds and giant rock formations throw their shadows just like every leaf in the jungle. Crytech combines this elegantly with high-res textures and shader effects that leave an impression. An example of the flexibility of the engine: All the characters in the "Interactive Surrounding"-box were created with a few mouse clicks, based on an existing model.

Cinema-ready effects
To make the presentation cinema-ready, Crytech uses motion- and depth blur. The former gives a speed effect during quick maneuvers - objects lose their contours. Depth blur focuses the central elements of the picture, while others remain unsharp.

(Apologies for what mistakes are in here. It's been a long while since I last did this. )

edit: Ah, seems like I don't have to do the rest.
(Looks like my translation agrees well enough with the linked one. His english is easier to read, though.)

im not trying to nock any pc goers out there but PD0 has it moments that i could mistake it for those exact same jungle shots

A game using the updated cryengine cant get here soon enough.

I played FarCry some after I got my SLI setup and WOW!

I still think its one of the best looking games period.

1600x1200 with HDR in FarCry looks so sweet.

How many players can the engine support? Not that I am unimpressed, but the multiplayer aspects mean a lot more to me than little tech tricks. If this thing can scale well to 64 players it would be awesome!

how do they do it... the company that made farcry and is making crysis def, does good work on there games gfx wise... i mean u can see frickin acne on the guys face in some of the s/s!!!

deathBOB said:
How many players can the engine support? Not that I am unimpressed, but the multiplayer aspects mean a lot more to me than little tech tricks. If this thing can scale well to 64 players it would be awesome!

I'm pretty sure it can.

I am tired of having to upgrade for games. It's so disheartening to think I won't be playing this stuff at %100. Poor college kids can't buy new vid cards all the time. Make it stop!

So many pretty looking games.

d34dly said:
I am tired of having to upgrade for games. It's so disheartening to think I won't be playing this stuff at %100. Poor college kids can't buy new vid cards all the time. Make it stop!

So many pretty looking games.

at least you dont live in Africa ;)

Holy shit, I'm definitely waiting on buying a new card, and saving up for a DX10 card now. My 6600GT can hold me off for now.

Firewall said:
It looks like an army of Majic Johnsons. I'm scared now... :eek:
LOL, they will all have a basketball and will kill you with their skill :p anyway I need a new pc for that. Far Cry looked amaizing when it came out, I think this will be even better, UBISOFT unlike EA has never made a shitty game, in recent years at least.

All these next gen PC games 'will' be ported over to the 360, which will handle the graphics just dandy. So instead of having to spend wasted cash in upgrading my pc AGAIN, I'll just pickup the game for $50 and play it on my 360 :)

zero002021 said:
He's got you there.

No he doesn't... it's not like it's the end of my life. It's small disappointment. Life goes on. Just an observation. It's hard to keep up with PC games these days. PC games are slowly losing popularity I think. At least with me anyway. It just isn't worth it to spend stupid amounts of money on PC equipment. I'd like too... but just can't.

My rig sh*t a brick just watching the video. That game, and the DX10 games that follow it, are going to make us all poor.

My next upgrade will be for this game, I take that back, my next computer will be for this game. I hope that it won't cost me 2000$ in computer upgrades to run it.

Back