neww SSD 60 gb agility OCZ drive...upgrading to FW 1.4... benchmark numbers

surfbug

Limp Gawd
Hi

Just got my SSD

here are performance numbers fresh out of the box with 1.3 firmware installed at the factory

this is with 64KB blocks

HD Tune: OCZ AGILITY Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 180.0 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 185.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 182.0 MB/sec
Access Time : 0.1 ms
Burst Rate : 137.8 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 3.1%

I am trying to upgrade to 1.4 fw

I am trying to do wipe or sanitary erase first...then the FW upgrade...

I was seeign the drive on my xps system, but now I cant...

reading and checkin the OCZ forum....any thoughts?

AND, how do I tell if the drive is hooked up as an IDE?

looking at device manager....cant see if IDE....

any ideas?

allen

Last edited:
I looked in the bios

I see a raid option and achr (spelling?) option

there is no IDE option

in the ocz froums, they said I have to use another computer that HAS these opitions for flash the ssd frimware to 1.4 version

I have a dell xps 730x with bios ver 1.0.0

there are other more updated bios's out there

so, is updated my bios hard? I know I can brick the motherboard if not careful

and, how do I know that a new bios updated bios would have tha5t selection? the IDE selection?

or, is there another workaround to get the system bios to look at the disk in IDE mode?

argh! literally, I am not kidding , worked on this all day all DAY to upgrade this firmware in this OCZ agility ssd from 1.3 to 1.4

I need 1.4 so I have trim support in windows 7

or, can I just run visat, or win 7 without trim on the 1.3version of ssd frimware..

and run GC (garbage Collection) or force a command to trim the drive?

thoughts>?

I really dont want to play around another 16 hours and not have it fixed...

allen

Are you sure there's not something called "Legacy" or "Compatability" mode in your BIOS under the SATA settings?

This should be in-addition to the RAID and AHCI (you spelled it ACHR). You need to run your drive in ACHI mode to take advantage of TRIM, but you need to run it in IDE mode temporarily to update the firmware.

I'm actually going to check the firmware of my new OCZ Agility 60GB, and see if it is v1.3 or v1.4. How have you verified the version of your firmware, if I may ask?

EDIT NEVERMIND I found out how, it's under device manager for the drive, Advanced, Hardware ID. I already have 1.4 factory installed, but I'll still help with whatever I can.

Last edited:
or, can I just run visat, or win 7 without trim on the 1.3version of ssd frimware..

and run GC (garbage Collection) or force a command to trim the drive?

Sure you can, but you'll have to do it regularly, about once every few weeks. TRIM is nice because it makes cleanup automatic, and drives maintain their peak performance without upkeep.

Back