Newegg Warning, learn from my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end, Newegg was not able to resolve this issue internally. Their system showed that payment was made while the credit card company said that payment was not, and the credit company wins that argument. In a three-way phone conversation, the representative at my major credit card company flat out told Newegg to unlocked my account and Newegg said ok.

Well, I'll wait until tomorrow and see if this was done or not, Newegg on the phone promised that their fraud department (which locked my account) will email me when this is done.

Just goes to show, for a complex situation like this, don't bother with trying to get an email resolution. I'm not at all surprised it took phone calls to get the ball rolling. I'd have been more surprised if you HAD gotten it resolved with a couple emails back and forth.

Most important thing to a company is their reputation(image). Some experts have advise to use social networks to your advantage. Find out if Newegg has a facebook page, and post your problem in a nice way. They more likely to help and try solve the problem faster, so it don't blow up and make them look like the bad guy

I'd honestly avoid using a CC for Newegg. About 7 or 8 years ago I got a fraudulent charge on my CC to the tune of just over $1,000 from a camera shop in Bakersfield, CA, which happens to be a short distance from City of Industry, Newegg's headquarters. It also happened to be about 2 weeks after a Newegg purchase. Now all of that COULD be happenstance, but my CC company said that the CC transaction was manually entered from a terminal, not a swipe or Internet gateway processing type, so somebody manually punched in all my info, name, address, #, expiration, CCV and I had bought nothing from anyone else in California for quite some time before that.

I'd honestly avoid using a CC for Newegg. About 7 or 8 years ago I got a fraudulent charge on my CC to the tune of just over $1,000 from a camera shop in Bakersfield, CA, which happens to be a short distance from City of Industry, Newegg's headquarters. It also happened to be about 2 weeks after a Newegg purchase. Now all of that COULD be happenstance, but my CC company said that the CC transaction was manually entered from a terminal, not a swipe or Internet gateway processing type, so somebody manually punched in all my info, name, address, #, expiration, CCV and I had bought nothing from anyone else in California for quite some time before that.

If anything, that's more of a reason to use a CC and avoid using a debt card or anything else IMO. At least with a credit card you are not out any money at all, just about 10 minutes of your time to tell your bank "no, I never made those charges" and the charge is typically removed by the time you receive your next billing statement.

In the end, no luck, their fraud department isn't reachable so I can't even be sure what they are mistaken about. I send off a final email to Freddy, he's trying but when the company doesn't give their employees the tools to service their customers, there's nothing he can do on my behalf.

Hi Freddy,

My credit card company's fraud department has promised me they will work with Newegg however they can to resolve this issue. Their (**********) direct fraud department phone number is 1-888-***-****. There is no wait time. My legal name is *** ***, if you give the information below to them they will tell you that the August 10 transaction was declined.

I've chosen to re-approve the payment on 9/4 so Newegg should now have the 186.99 payment not received on 8/10, this way even if I can't be a Newegg customer I'll have a clear conscience. My account was locked by your fraud department and according to my phone calls to your customer service, your fraud department's SOP does not involve issue resolution with customers so as to remain a black box. I respect that though this policy obviously leaves me no recourse to challenge mistakes.

I have sent pictures of emails saying my order's transaction being declined by my credit card, pictures of the subsequent tracking email and received package, I've gotten my credit card company's fraud representative on a three way conference call with your customer representative and we didn't get anywhere, and Newegg's fraud department doesn't interact with credit card companies nor customers. I've simply no other information I can share on what is simply my best guess as to why my account is locked.

Thanks for all your help. I know you're doing all you can and sometimes company SOP's are not written with customers in mind, and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Make sure you keep any/all documentation about this transaction to prove, if necessary, that you did pay for the item. I could see NewEgg screwing this one up and hitting your credit report for a false debt down the road because of the misunderstanding. (If it comes to that BTW please do give them hell.)

IDK if they send accounts to collections but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

As for the locked account? Their system is designed in such a way that if you have a reversed transaction or a chargeback challenge in the works, your account is locked by the system. No amount of tinkering by company reps will fix the issue. You've got to get someone to go in an manually(?) update the database to reflect the transaction was ultimately successful.

As for the locked account? Their system is designed in such a way that if you have a reversed transaction or a chargeback challenge in the works, your account is locked by the system. No amount of tinkering by company reps will fix the issue. You've got to get someone to go in an manually(?) update the database to reflect the transaction was ultimately successful.

If there was a reversed transaction or chargeback, why do they keep claiming that the transaction was successful? I'd think it would be simple enough for customer reps to say "your account was locked because there is a chargeback on a delivered item" and the customer would say "oh! let me see what happened", problem solved.

Has any one successfully gotten their transaction manually updated?

This guy was finally able to get his account unlocked, but by the time that happened the OP swore to never do business with NewEgg again :p. In your case it seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing; that might need manual intervention. What a screwball system NewEgg seems to have here...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694667

I'll make posts on facebook and resellerratings like that guy then, maybe a non-zero change of success like Newegg's customer service.

Last edited:
Ok, I posted something informative and somewhat long to both resellerratings and facebook, let's see what happens.

I would have rated Newegg 5/5 except for this incident that consumed 2 weeks of my time (to date) for something Newegg's customer service practices could and should have handled easily.

On August 10, 2012, I ordered a package from Newegg. Around the same time my credit card company reached out to me saying there could be fraud on the same card I used for Newegg. I agreed, the credit card company sent me a new card, I received my Newegg package, end of story?

Two weeks later, I tried to make another purchase from Newegg and my account was locked. I called their customer service and the only response I could get from the rep and his manager is that my account was locked by NE's fraud department, that this department doesn't talk with customers, that this department doesn't talk with credit card companies, and to get my account unlocked I should hire a lawyer. (Yes he said that).

Without NE letting me know what happened, I contacted my credit card company, asked them what happened, and they quick found out that all my transactions after August 9, 2012 was wiped clean. Doh! Other than to Newegg there were charges to Comcast, to my local gym, to another online store. I contacted each of them, said "ops, let me give you my new payment information", and they said "no problem", the sole exception was Newegg. My response from them is, "we cannot accept payment because our [dumb] system says payment was made, your account is locked, go away".

I've asked my credit card company to manually send a payment to Newegg anyways, I don't want a free item, but Newegg has the dubious distinction being the only company I literally shoved money into because they didn't want money hahaha. Well, it'd be funny if I weren't still locked because of their highly advanced and user friendly system.

I'm unblocked! Resellerratings is the way to go, thanks everyone who provided me with tips.

I was contacted about my review and even offered a 30$ discount towards a future purchase. The discount doesn't really matter in light of the crazy amount of money I spend on NE but it appears the people monitoring those reviews have direct access to newegg's faud department and upper management.

I had a nightmare issue with Newegg about a defective video card earlier this year and when I finally reached the point of frustration high enough to post a negative review on resellerratings.com, I had "Freddy" following up with me the same day. I ended up getting it resolved but I personally avoid the 'Egg if at all possible...seems like you only get service is you mess with their public rep.

Good thing to remember, resellerratings.com is the way to go for any problems that they don't want to resolve civilly.

Couple weeks ago...ordered up a new EVGA GTX670 for my son. He was really pumped as we were placing the order. declined! WHAT? Grrrrrrr. He kept telling me to do it again. I explained to him things get screwed up, just like some of the stories here. :mad: I was able to get him to relax and wait. Sure enough...even after it was declined, next day there is the order # with trackin info. Got the card 2 days later. Got charged the correct amount as well. Glad my patience trumped his youthful exuberance. BTW..very sweet card. ;)

after ordering thousands of dollars worth of stuff, never once had a problem til last monday when i received some HP ink for my printer, shit was 3 yrs out of date and completely dried out.. waited 2 hours on hold to get in touch with newegg and then all the rep can tell me is "well we don't do refunds, but i'll put in a request for store credit" really newegg its $15 friging bucks and I've been a constant returning customer since 2002.. well you guys have lost my business now.

What printer cartridge did you order? Some obsolete cartridge that they haven't used for some time? Or what? That's a new one for NewEgg...looks like I won't be ordering ink from there either (or motherboards, GPUs, CPUs, SSDs, RAM, or PSUs).

Very interesting! I have been a long time customer too. When I tried to order a laptop a few months ago my credit card was declined twice. I had to call my credit card to allow the transaction to go through. Very odd as I have never seen this with any other merchant.

was for a hp deskjet 1400 series, basic model but no more than 2-3 yrs on market..
very saddening indeed how much newegg has fallen. ive always used newegg in the past for 2 reasons, majority of the time when i order something, its here in 2 business days from date of purchase, and reliability, but now this is just cahoots with me.
they've only screwed up once in the past while forgettingly to put an item on a huge order i placed, understandable considering there was over 25 items ordered. and they made up for it by giving me next day shipping(like it actually mattered since their 3-day shipping came in at the same time frame) and a freebie that went with the missing cooler.(2x slipstream fans for free :) )

well rather wait to hear newegg's response of oh well we can't refund you the store credit, i took it to paypal right after i posted above (around 12pm noon) and after just looking at my paypal account they refunded me my entire payment. hmm seems like a good way to get satisfaction with them..

Do not buy from Newegg. Purchasing from newegg is risky, buy from anther vendor. My last purchase they sent a used damaged Nvidia card with no serial number. RMAd it immediately and shipped it back at my own expense. They refuse to replace or refund it because "it's damaged and doesn't have a serial number". Hey, that's how they sent it to me and why I returned it!
I am not the only (former) newegg customer with this kind of experience. Please learn from my mistake and save yourself several hundred dollars. The discounts they offer are not worth the risk.

They sold me a mobo with popped capacitors then denied my RMA for bent Cpu pins when I shipped it back. Got $100 back in store credit for a $200 mobo. Ridiculous, never shopping there again, this was like a month ago too.

They sold me a mobo with popped capacitors then denied my RMA for bent Cpu pins when I shipped it back. Got $100 back in store credit for a $200 mobo. Ridiculous, never shopping there again, this was like a month ago too.

So they are still up to this shit, huh? Damn them. Was it new or open box?

They would never, ever pull this stunt on me because as soon as I start threatening to stop paying my Newegg Preferred account they start throwing gift cards and instant refunds at me. Personally, even if I wasn't "in" with NE--as in, I owe them money, I do regular business with them, I have a Premier membership--I seriously doubt they could get rid of me with the situation left like that, 100 dollar credit for a 200 dollar board. They'd have to fix it to my liking in order to get me off the phone. Simple as that.

There's no point in discussing whether these stories are true or not, the only logical thing is to just assume they are true. (Although... first post on a new account necrobumping a thread from 1.5 years, then moving on to cut and paste same post for second post and splitting is suspicious). My position is that any case like this, taken seriously enough with a cool enough hand, can be completely solved with Newegg. If not, I take my business elsewhere. Not everyone will receive the exact same treatment from individual CSRs, because not everyone is up for it. It's hard to be charming and slick when you are pissed blue in the face (angry).

But you can always give it another go. Generally you want to leave them with the impression that the business relationship will continue, because if you are telling them this is the last time I shop at Newegg! They aren't going to come your way at all, but if you are being kind and patient with the INDIVIDUAL you finally make a good connection with, that's when you get your way. It may take you more than 1 try, and it may not be worth your time at all, but it can be done. Newegg is a pain in the ass and the prices are not very good lately. But I'm surprised they are still doing this bent CPU pin BS. I'd nail them with a chargeback or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back