Newegg - Seagate Exos X20 20TB $279.99 + $1.99 shipping

I had 8 of the 14tb exos, 5 of them failed over a 2yr period. I keep falling for the cheap seagate pricing but they consistently die on me every single time. On the flip side, Toshiba and HGST are absolutely rock solid.
Ouch. I Got a 10tb variant that showed smart errors a year into running it. Told myself not to buy it, knew better, but still did anyways...Let me down as expected.
How did these drives arrive in shipping? That makes a huge difference no matter who makes the drive...

Those were awesome in delay start configuration to prevent excessive inrush when doing cold starts. Literally could be used for sound effects in movies from everything involving big iron to nuke plants going on line! :-D

And yes HGST / Toshiba FTW! So many of those from 4TB to 16TB in NAS and surveillance duties with nary a peep from SMART checks. The Ironwolf and Exos, OTOH, not so clean for sure.
My exos experience has been the same as my HGST/WD/Tosh. Not sure what's going on since I've still been buying them in various capacities and still nothing out of the ordinary like some are posting about here. But I do make sure I'm getting genuine product--possible fakes out there? Would be a pretty easy scam to do since people would be blaming the manufacturer vs the seller.

They were in ESD bags which were in foam HDD holders and inside a box. Packing seemed fine, no box damage.
Yep, that's the way it should be. I've had drives work fine with much lesser packaging.

Eight 2.5" 16TB enterprise u.2 drives, right? They've got 32TB u.3 drives now - I was debating getting one, but my 16TB Micron 9300 pro as a Steam drive has a couple TB free still.
Yep, that's what I was thinking about. :D I had no idea 32TB were available. 256TB. That's 13 orders of magnitude...:eek:

My exos experience has been the same as my HGST/WD/Tosh. Not sure what's going on since I've still been buying them in various capacities and still nothing out of the ordinary like some are posting about here. But I do make sure I'm getting genuine product--possible fakes out there? Would be a pretty easy scam to do since people would be blaming the manufacturer vs the seller.
Are they on the same backplane? Back in the UWSCSI days I had a few boxes that were "eating" drives. Pulling my hair out. Finally put a scope on the backplane and found the culprit.

Damn good value with ServerPartDeals. I just bought a Dell branded Intel D7-P5600 6.4 tb for $349.99 arriving tomorrow. Just gotta wait for my M.2 to U.2 adapters to arrive.

I just wish that the U.2 hotswap frames were cheaper.

I just wish that the U.2 hotswap frames were cheaper.
Not going to act like I know anything about them cost wise, this SSD is going into my desktop for a mass write houdini/cache drive =P. My only actual server is my truenas setup. Which is running all consumer hardware...X99 deluxe board, 12 core xeon, 128gb registered ddr4 memory, and 9 drives atm in a full tower case.

One day I'll have a proper homelab setup, with a rack and approriate hardware. But alas, today is not that day =P.

You can find 20TB X22 Exos for a bit cheaper directly from https://serverpartdeals.com/product...pm-sata-6gb-s-512e-3-5-recertified-hard-drive instead of their ebay store.

And with a 2yr warranty vs 1yr. :)

They also have WD Ultrastar variants at 18tb for 179.99 a pop, 2 year warranty as well.

https://serverpartdeals.com/collect...-2k-rpm-sata-6gb-s-3-5-recertified-hard-drive

Damn good value with ServerPartDeals. I just bought a Dell branded Intel D7-P5600 6.4 tb for $349.99 arriving tomorrow. Just gotta wait for my M.2 to U.2 adapters to arrive.
I now want more.Very tempting.

I mentioned GoHardDrive.com earlier. They give most hard drives 5 year warranties on the enterprise stuff. And they have always replaced my drives via exchange with no hassle at all. And they pay for shipping both ways.

I mentioned GoHardDrive.com earlier. They give most hard drives 5 year warranties on the enterprise stuff. And they have always replaced my drives via exchange with no hassle at all. And they pay for shipping both ways.
The only thing about them is that they do this weird 'white label' and 'house brand' thing with the drives which is non-sense since there's only a few drive manufacturers in the world and no one OEMs their drives.

The only thing about them is that they do this weird 'white label' and 'house brand' thing with the drives which is non-sense since there's only a few drive manufacturers in the world and no one OEMs their drives.
They do have those But they also have regular labeled drives with a 5 year warranty as well.

Not too shabby. The MDD drives irk me a bit though. Any company that removes the old label on a drive and resells as refurbished raises the alarm bells. But they do indeed sell straight up Exos recertified drives it seems. Most of them roughly being more expensive than ServerPartDeals by $10-20 bucks a drive (some same though), but with a 5 year warranty instead...Not bad.

What concerns me though is they just state certified refurbished for GoHardDrive. While SPD is more transparent and sells "Certified Refurbs", and "Manufacture Certified Refurbs"....Considering GHD does these white labels and MDD drives, which from the looks of this have their smart table wiped, is pretty shady. Kudos to them for offering 5 years, but I'll trust SPD with my business even though they only offers 2 years on the warranty. Chances are if the drive lasts 2 years, it'll go for a while. Being able to pick and choose between multiple brands (seagate, WD, Toshiba, etc) gives me more confidence compared to what GHD is offering with their plethora of random small capacity white labels, and MDD drives.

If I absolutely had to buy a drive from them, I'd pick up their seagate exos drives...But being someone who's had bad luck with seagate, not really appealing. If I had a bunch of non critical data and just needed space with the comfort of 5 years on the warranty side, that would be the only justification in my eyes to nab them up...But of course this is all my opinion.

I would never buy white label drives from MDD or other companies. You have no idea what drive you're actually getting, and I wouldn't trust the SMART data provided from them either. There is a high chance they wipe the SMART data so you can't see power on hours, error rates, total reads, etc...

Obviously people are free to do what they want with their money...but of all the things in the world of computing, I believe that storage is the one thing that shouldn't be cheaped out on. Buying refurb hard drives is gambling, plain & simple. Except you're only winning a slightly cheaper drive and likely a major head-ache down the road. Not just that, but storage is one of the few things that has been reliably dropping in price. If you can't afford it now, you could probably just wait a little while and get it much cheaper. Same thing with older or cheaper SSD's - you usually get what you pay for.

US gets the best deals. Too bad I'm in EU.
I got nearly 40TB of movies/tv shows on my Plex server. I can always use more storage :)

Obviously people are free to do what they want with their money...but of all the things in the world of computing, I believe that storage is the one thing that shouldn't be cheaped out on. Buying refurb hard drives is gambling, plain & simple. Except you're only winning a slightly cheaper drive and likely a major head-ache down the road. Not just that, but storage is one of the few things that has been reliably dropping in price. If you can't afford it now, you could probably just wait a little while and get it much cheaper. Same thing with older or cheaper SSD's - you usually get what you pay for.
I partly agree with this, but the cost of used enterprise drives with 2 year warranty is tempting. Nowadays, if you are aiming at having lots of storage I firmly believe you should have more than one parity drive in your storage array. ZFS RAIDZ1 / traditional RAID5 / etc... is not a great option because when one drive fails and you do a resilver/rebuild, the likelihood of it taking out another drive is a real chance. So if you want to have 2 or 3 parity drives and buy a bunch of used enterprise drives, there is no shame in that. (But P.S. you should always have a backup of important data outside of the array anyway).

I partly agree with this, but the cost of used enterprise drives with 2 year warranty is tempting. Nowadays, if you are aiming at having lots of storage I firmly believe you should have more than one parity drive in your storage array. ZFS RAIDZ1 / traditional RAID5 / etc... is not a great option because when one drive fails and you do a resilver/rebuild, the likelihood of it taking out another drive is a real chance. So if you want to have 2 or 3 parity drives and buy a bunch of used enterprise drives, there is no shame in that. (But P.S. you should always have a backup of important data outside of the array anyway).
Ironically, I have a second NAS in Raid 6 that I use for backup purposes. I know RAID is not a backup. But for me, nothing touches my backup NAS unless I let it. So in my situation, I feel it is a very safe backup.

And use Dropbox for backing up my very important pics, etc.

The funny thing is that the used drive market almost vets what drives are really worth their salt since bad drives will never make it there. Finding used drives that have had an easy live and/or low poh is a great way to save some cash (usually 1/2 of a comparable new drive), but you are right about the gamble as a used drive is statistically much more prone to a failure after being put in service than new (assuming no shipping damages for either).

US gets the best deals. Too bad I'm in EU.
I got nearly 40TB of movies/tv shows on my Plex server. I can always use more storage :)
We do and it's hard really understand how much cheaper we get things until you see the prices in other parts of the world. Of course, in the EU, you don't have to worry about 'lemons' or 'bad good's since comprehensive coverage is a requirement. We still deal with warranty shirking and funny business here, so that does hurt sometimes too.

RAIDs are great for keeping data online, but that's about it. If you want real redundancy, the only way to really go is 0+1 so you have the chance of surviving up to 1/2 the entire array failing (if all the right drives fail).

Over the years I've learned that there is simply no need to have a single volume this large and then subdivide it logically into a tree structure when you can just segment data on different drives and mirror the drives. I take this one step further and just keep everything jbod and manage everything as if they are backups, having n+x number of backups for any one drive/volume. This also eliminates the other failure points in a raid system--the controller, expander, backplane, etc that while rare, can also take down an array for an extended time.

Ironically, I have a second NAS in Raid 6 that I use for backup purposes. I know RAID is not a backup. But for me, nothing touches my backup NAS unless I let it. So in my situation, I feel it is a very safe backup.

And use Dropbox for backing up my very important pics, etc.
NAS to NAS backups are really great, especially when you can geolocate them.

We do and it's hard really understand how much cheaper we get things until you see the prices in other parts of the world. Of course, in the EU, you don't have to worry about 'lemons' or 'bad good's since comprehensive coverage is a requirement. We still deal with warranty shirking and funny business here, so that does hurt sometimes too.

I miss the times when I was in the US.

I'm starting to wonder if this is actually deal if it happens so commonly... but I'm still tempted to get another, now that I have a case that can hold more drives.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if this is actually deal if it happens so commonly... but I'm still tempted to get another, now that I have a case that can hold more drives.
Ime, I've found that the lowest 'easystore' price on shucks.top is a pretty common floor for enterprise sata 5yr drives when they're on sale. So about $13/TB is the lowest you'll pay for any enterprise sata 5yr drive on sale.

Look at the reviews RE: shipping!
No matter how good the deal, and how good the drive can be, it's neutralized immediately upon arrival when shipped like that! It's not a frying pan FFS!
At least SSDs aren't affected by shock. ;-)
Yeah, it seems like no one knows how to ship hard drives anymore--just throw them in a box and let them bounce their way to the destination. :mad:

Yeah, it seems like no one knows how to ship hard drives anymore--just throw them in a box and let them bounce their way to the destination. :mad:
Newegg has a habit of shipping HDDs in envelopes these days.

Back