Newegg- Seagate 7200.11 750gb, $119 shipped

6.4 Cents per GB for the WD 640gb
6.25 cents per GB for the Seagate 750gb

thanks. :) i was looking more as to reliability, performance, per platter technology, etc. :) i haven't read up on newer hard drives in awhile.

thanks. :) i was looking more as to reliability, performance, per platter technology, etc. :) i haven't read up on newer hard drives in awhile.

Performance they are Fairly Equal.. The WD has only 2 platters which is nice.. I think they are fairly evenly matched.

Tech Report's Velociraptor review also has these two drive in it with a lot of benchmarks;

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14583/5

I have the 640 gig Western Digital..

and it is very quiet.. and fast..
highly recommend it
in fact. just ordered two more

I have the 640 gig Western Digital..

and it is very quiet.. and fast..
highly recommend it
in fact. just ordered two more

I Bought the Samsung SpinPoint F1 750gb and Im happy with it too..

All of these are GREAT Drives.

Yea the 640GB Caviar probably has a slight edge over these 750GB drives due to the two platter design, but the edge is slight, and for the cheaper cost/GB, I'd rather have the extra capacity. So I bought the Samsung.

Yea the 640GB Caviar probably has a slight edge over these 750GB drives due to the two platter design, but the edge is slight, and for the cheaper cost/GB, I'd rather have the extra capacity. So I bought the Samsung.

what about the cache size? doesn't that give a slight edge to the seagate?

The 640 WD is a very cool, quiet drive. Excellent for an HTPC. Every Seagate drive I've ever owned has been a good drive, but noticeably noisier than its WD equivalent counterpart - not by much, but slightly noisier. You can't go wrong with either one, but I would probably prefer the quieter, and extremely efficient WD over the seagate, at least in my HTPC. For raw performance I doubt there's much difference. Do they have the 5 year or 3 year warranty? That might be a factor.

Back