Newbie hardware raid question

mrmag00p

n00b
I'm looking at getting a new motherboard due to the unfortunate timing of my current board dieing (it's roughly 10 days after the warranty expired, of course) and am wondering about trying a hardware RAID setup.

I have a 160gb drive and 40gb drive, and want to use 40gb of the two for a raid-0 array. I've done this with software raid, but I've never used hardware raid before. Can I make an effective 80gb partition and still use the 120gb I'd have left on my larger drive available?

It's not a good idea to mix drives of different sizes and capibilites when RAIDing. If you did setup RAID 0 with those 2 drives, you would only have 80GB total (40 + 40), the 120 left over on the 160GB would be unusable.

Ok, thats sorta what I thought but I had hoped they were different now. So much to that idea, I'll probably do software raid anyway tho.

thanks.

You can use those two drives as long as they are the same speed, but your array will only show as 80 gigs as the post above states. So you are throwing away 40 gigs as long as you have them raided.

Back