newb with a 2.8C D1 stepping + Asus P4C800E Deluxe mobo...got LOTS of questions

Daemos

Limp Gawd
so before anyone asks, I've tried searching, and have gotten so so answers...so I thought asking here would be better :)

My system specs:
Intel P42.8C D1 stepping made sometime in the middle of dec
Asus P4C800E Deluxe with latest bios
2X512MB generic DDR 400 ram with 3-4-4-8 timings
Thermalright SLK 800U Heatsink
Artic Silver 3
Some 80mm Thermal controled 80mm fan...pretty good airflow stats
120GB WD SE HD (primary master)
60GB WD HD (nonSE) (primary slave)
2X160GB WD SE HD (one as 3rd IDE Master and other as 3rd IDE Slave)
Plextor 8XDVDRW (secondary slave)
LG 16XDVD (secondary master)
SB Audigy
Radeon 9700 Pro rev 1.3
Enermax 550W Powersupply
5 Case fans (5X80mm vantec Stealth fans)

So what's this "burn-in" period, I was told, I shouldn't touch the vcore until it has time to "burn-in" but upping the FSB a little is okay, as "burning-in" the cpu is better for it in the long run. Is this true or false?

so I tried upping the FSB to around 229 fsb running a ram divider of 5:4 and locking the AGP/PCI to 66/33 AGP voltage at 1.6v and everything else on auto...

Everything seemed stable, I booted into windows, played a few games everything was okay.

Then I went to go transfer files across the HDs (SUPER stresful on the IDE test) From the Primary Master to the 3rd IDE master and the Primary Slave to the 3rd IDE slave. Transferring about 130GB of total info...so it looks like it'll go...

about 5-10 min later the computer crashes, the 60GB WD harddrive failed o_O; so when I tried to restart, the computer froze on detecting IDE drives. So I turned off the PC, tried turning it back on, froze on the same spot. unplugged the powersupply, unplugged the 60GB HD, and it would go, but it stated that "Overclock failed hit F2 to restore to default settings" so I did that, turned off the PC, plugged the 60GB HD back in, and it worked...

I decided to clock to 215mhz fsb to give my self a 3.01 ghz with all the same settings as before...booted into windows, windows ran some CRAZY test on the 60GB HD...recovering files.

This time, I only Transfered from the 60GB HD to the 3rd IDE slave...no crashes, I formatted that drive...

Now do you guys think the crash was because I had o/ced the cpu too far or was it just too stressful on the IDE controller/harddrives?

what should I expect out of a O/C and what's the max vcore I should try? I don't want to experience SNDS...

Everything seems REAL stable at 3.01 ghz, I can play games, burn, watch divx, encode and mp3s and stuff (btw HYPERTHREADING RULES, it's so much more smooth compared to my old A64 3000+ system, and everything doesn't use up as much system resourses :))

I haven't had a chance to run Prime 95 (my cablemodem died...I think, I should have a new one by tommrow afternoon)

Sorry for the long post

Thanks.

I just gotta ask: Why would you put the drives through the stress of 130 GB worth of file transfers in such a short time?

Also, burning in a CPU is a debated topic. Some people say that if you can push a CPU to its limits at stock voltage and run it for a while, it'll be able to handle OCing better after a while. I'm still not sure if this works for the CPU, but you can burn-in memory...

The OC was probably not too far (since it was only a 200 Mhz jump and the 2.8 should be able to hit 3.0 easily).
However, your problem looks to be with the generic RAM. Generic RAM usually sucks for OCing.

As for Prime95, you don't need a cable connection to use it. The program itself is an 800 KB download or so, and it has a Torture Test feature that just makes your computer repeatedly do intensive calculations. You don't have to be doing the actual Prime95 distributed comp test, and even then you don't need to use it with cable modem (since you download the small file, then your comp works on it. Then when it's done, you can connect to the net and it will upload the file back to the servers).

Probably not the answers you're really searching for, but just giving you some stuff that I think I know (but probably don't) :p

ah why I was transfering files?

Because I bought those 2X160GB drives for storage, and I had like 200 MB total free space on the other drives :)

As for the generic ram, YES it SUCKS for overclocking, which is why I'm running a divider, if I was running it 1:1 I could see problems, but running at 5:4 I can go up to 250 fsb on the cpu and the ram would only be running at it's rated 200 mhz right?

the point of not having a cable connection is I can't DOWNLOAD it :)

How do you burn in memory?

Back