New&warm - 9600GT low profile card $100 A/R

Hmmm...this might be worth sticking in my work computer for downtime.

I was thinking the same thing but I wonder if it would be overkill for a working pc lol

Awesome, does it still have the same mounting holes as a regular GT? It really should come with a DVI splitter cable though, from the pics it looks like it doesn't.

Very nice lookign card. I like the fact that it also comes with a standard bracket in case you need to move it to another case.

thats the fastest low profile card made, and the only low profile card with a 6pin power? haha thats awesome.

thats the fastest low profile card made, and the only low profile card with a 6pin power? haha thats awesome.

Yes it is awesome. Definitely the fastest low profile card out now. I would imagine the 4850 might be next ... ATI seems to go after some low profile goodness at times too.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the 9600GT compare with the 8800GT?

I have a 8800GTS and I bought a PNY 9600 GT from Microcenter last night for 100$ and it smokes my 8800GTS on Crysis. It will play Crysis on all high settings at 1680x1050.

My wife's card owns me :(

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the 9600GT compare with the 8800GT?

at a low res the difference is very slim but higher resolutions you can see that the 8800gt is about 10% faster or so. I have a 9600gt and loves it.

9600GT will run crysis on high @ 1440*900 playable, cod4 1680*1050 max, assassin's creed 1680*1050 max. It's a bit slower than the 8800GT but when overclocked will surpass a stock one. These things can overclock like crazy..

This thing would be great in a low profile media pc.

Why did I spend 300 bucks today on needed organization supplies for my garage and home office and just leave stuff in piles and get this :p

how does this compare to a hd 3870
The HD 3870 doesn't come in low profile. If you don't have a low profile case, you're better off considering a regular sized 9600GT since it has better cooling.

The HD 3870 is generally faster than the 9600GT in most games with AA disabled, especially in higher resolutions. The 9600GT is faster in OpenGL games and in most games when AA is enabled. The differences in either case aren't too huge.

will it work in the infamous HP slimline?
needs to both fit
and will the juice be enough?

Is the 9600GT 55 or 65? I have been considering a 9600gt or 9800gt to use as my physx card instead of my hot running and power hungry 8800gt.

Is the 9600GT 55 or 65? I have been considering a 9600gt or 9800gt to use as my physx card instead of my hot running and power hungry 8800gt.

65nm, the HD3850/3870 are both 55nm, but a lot of times the 9600GT actually uses less power than the 3850, (at load) and pretty much always uses less power than the 3870. It depends on the cooler and the clocks of the cards in question.

Btw, I'm pretty sure the 9800GT is just a rebadged 8800GT, I'm pretty sure it uses the G92 core rather than G94 like the 9600GT, but I could be wrong.

No, those are not low profile cards. As has been mentioned/hinted at earlier, low profile cards are half height cards. If you are looking at the PCI backplate, there is roughly only half of it available, meaning that there is only 1 monitor connection and maybe a TV out connection. The picture in the OP's link should visually show this difference. There's no point in using these cards unless you have a case that restricts you to low profile cards.

That being said, this is a great deal. Low profile cards are hard to find in general and having a good card like the 9600GT on sale makes the deal sweeter.

I have this case and it is currently being used as an HTPC so it is quiet.

11-129-034-03.jpg

Now if I buy this low profile card for this just in case I want to do some gaming on it I want to know if it has these criteria:

1. If I put a DVI to HDMI adapter to this graphic card, would I be able to get both high-def images 1080p and sound coming from this card via the adapter or could I just just the HDMI port that is part of my motherboard? My motherboard is the MA78GPM-DS2H that has an HDMI output so I don't know if the graphic card would communicate with the motherboard and output the sound and video signal through the motherboard's HDMI port.

2. Is this card quiet? Since my system is an HTPC I want it to be fairly quiet. I am sure it would not be as quiet as what I have now since currently the graphic power is coming from my motherboard.

You do not need a low profile card for that case. If you want to get a 9600GT, just buy the cheapest regular one you can find.

1. You will be fine to use a DVI-HDMI adaptor. The graphics card will not use the onboard graphic's HDMI port. Again though since your case doesn't require a LP card, you can get a regular one with an actual HDMI port, such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261002

If you want something quiet, you'll need to look at passive solutions or aftermarket coolers since the stock cooler isn't very quiet.

You won't get sound from the graphics card HDMI since it doesn't output sound, nor does it communicate with your motherboard sound... You might get sound from the HDMI on your motherboard but I don't recall there being many manufacturers putting out boards that did sound via HDMI. You'll have to check on the manual or support forums for your motherboard for that information.

As has been said, you don't need a low profile card since you can fit full height cards in your case.

[H]unter;1033001027 said:
will it work in the infamous HP slimline?
needs to both fit
and will the juice be enough?

Yes, but the Slimline power supply does not have enough power or a pci-e power connector.

You won't get sound from the graphics card HDMI since it doesn't output sound, nor does it communicate with your motherboard sound... You might get sound from the HDMI on your motherboard but I don't recall there being many manufacturers putting out boards that did sound via HDMI. You'll have to check on the manual or support forums for your motherboard for that information.

My ATI 3850 graphic card that has HDMI output does produce 1080p image and sound through my Sony XBR4 when I use the HDMI cable.

My ATI 3850 graphic card that has HDMI output does produce 1080p image and sound through my Sony XBR4 when I use the HDMI cable.

You wrote that you were using the DVI to HDMI adapter. As far as I know, most DVI doesn't carry sound so just turning the DVI into an HDMI output won't mean it will now carry sound. If your 3850 did it, it may have been a special feature. You're welcome to be a pioneer in that area though :)!

Back