New toy arrived today...

jonnyGURU

Technical Marketing Manager at Corsair Memory
SM-8800(1).jpg

So I got a package today..... a SunMoon SM-8800. The latest and greatest load tester made to test up to ten rails at a time with up to 10 different programmable tests. That's an improvement over the SM-268 I had which could only do 6 rails at a time and only had 5 presets.

SM-8800(2).jpg

This unit is made to test SLI/Crossfire, even if the PCI-e connectors are on seperate rails (each PCI-e connector can be put on it's own load.)

SM-8800(3).jpg

They actually added a second BNC output for the O-scope and the knob now selects what TWO rails you want to monitor at one time.

SM-8800(4).jpg

They updated the buttons on this model. Too bad they still use the light next to the button instead of lighting the button.

SM-8800(5).jpg

They moved the fan to the side, which is good for me since my "duct" doesn't have to reach as far to heat the "test case" when I do my hot tests.

The fan also spins all of the time. That's a relief. My old SunMoon didn't spin up the fan until it was already too hot, so the temp of the unit would get pretty scary.

SM-8800(6).jpg

This is a "cheat sheet" that came with the unit. You'll see "VA" on the +12V1, "VB" on the +5VSB, "VC" on the +12V5/-5V, "VD" on the -12V, "VE" on the 3.3V, "VF" on the +5VSB, "VG" on the +12V2 (the EPS12V connector), "VH" on the +12V3 (PCI-e 1) and "VI" on the +12V4 (PCI-e 2) and "VJ" on a second +5V that can also be used for +12V6.

The only problem I've run into is that "VI" and "VJ" share the display with the "MESSAGE" and "VALUE" part of the display. I have yet to figure out how to toggle the display, so I've only been able to load test four +12V rails at a time.

SM-8800(7).jpg

The tester is calibrated and certified by a third party body and is issued a calibration certificate.

SM-8800(8).jpg

This would be some good reading for the night... but this time my manual was in Chinese. This sort of pissed me off since the last SunMoon I received came with a manual written in perfect English.

I really, really like that new toy :D

Can't wait to see it have at the Fortron I just sent you ;)

jonnyGURU said:
I've only been able to load test four +12V rails at a time.
Heh. What a shame :p

Nice score, I look forward to some testing done with it.

What did that bad boy set you back? Anyway looks like something to have fun with.

swatbat said:
What did that bad boy set you back?

The new one is just under 170,000 TWD.

The SM-268 is only 100,000 TWD, but you'll need two of them to do the work of one of these and you still can't do ten pre-programmed tests.

I got an e-mail back from support on how to toggle "VI" and "VJ"...

To set how many rails to use:

Shift + B/7
page up and page down to set 6 rails, 8 rails, 10 rails
enter

To toggle rails:

Shift + B7
Shift + page down
I1/I6 or E/0

Good lord... I feel like I'm entering a sheet code for God mode.....

Slartibartfast said:
Dude, that is one awesome bottle of mountain dew :eek:

speaking of which, why is it not opened yet?! :p

anyway, that looks like one [H]ell of a machine to test power supplies. i could sure use that thing to test a few of my PSUs.

protias said:
i could sure use that thing to test a few of my PSUs.

For the 5 plus grand usd price of that think it would just be smarter to buy more PSUs :D

5 grand isn't actually expensive for what you get.

So why haven't you painted it black and red with a giant [H] yet?

Back