New to watercooling, single vs double outlet?

Rucku§

n00b
I dont' know which to decide on. I'm looking at waterblocks at the moment. With dual outlets, don't you have to Y them back together to one tube?

So far, the little river cascade seems to be the best waterblock, and only having one outlet. But I see that might be hard to come by.

Yes you will need to get a Y to connect dual outlet blocks. The Cascade is no longer being made by Cathar and chances are extremely slim you'll find someone ever selling one. However in case you arent aware Cathar is making a new block with performance beating eve his Cascade block. The only problem is the block is still in the design stage and there currently isnt an ETA. More info on Cathar's new block can be found at OCAU (you need to register to get access to OCAU forums but its well worth it)

If you cant wait for the new Cathae block, SwiftTech's new MCW6000 block is currently the best avalible block for purchase.

Animal982 said:
SwiftTech's new MCW6000 block is currently the best avalible block for purchase.

err, dont you think that is a rather broad and inaccuate statement?

I believe he's right, based on ProCooling.com's graphical analysis of deltatemp/GPM

that graph does not take into account every factor (block restriction/effective flowrate), hopefully phaestus will convert them to c/w soon, which will be a bit better.
my mistake though, i was thinking the old swiftek block, and the 6000-a's performance evens up with most of the other blocks at higher flow rates. it is also 3/8", which can cause problems as most american equipment is 1/2" barbed

That is one thing that does concern me....I want to use 1/2ID fittings, but the 3/8ID fittings I know cause more restriction and therefore resistance. I dont really want to use converters, I would like to keep with the 1/2ID fittings, any suggestions?

Animal982 said:
SwiftTech's new MCW6000 block is currently the best avalible block for purchase.

I dunno my S-TDX is doing just fine.... :cool:

Rucku§ said:
That is one thing that does concern me....I want to use 1/2ID fittings, but the 3/8ID fittings I know cause more restriction and therefore resistance. I dont really want to use converters, I would like to keep with the 1/2ID fittings, any suggestions?

if you use 1/2in ID fittings youd need some monsterous hose man that would make your hose 5/8in ID..... since a 1/2in ID fitting is 5/8in OD...you may be confusing the two

I believe I am referring to the items correctly. I'm extrememly new to the watercooling lingo rings, so bear with me please. :D

There are 3/8 ID and 1/2 ID fittings that are standard If I'm not mistaken.

So you would use 1/2 ID tubing for 1/2 ID fittings and 3/8ID tubing for 3/8 ID fittings.

cloaked said:
that graph does not take into account every factor (block restriction/effective flowrate), hopefully phaestus will convert them to c/w soon, which will be a bit better.
my mistake though, i was thinking the old swiftek block, and the 6000-a's performance evens up with most of the other blocks at higher flow rates. it is also 3/8", which can cause problems as most american equipment is 1/2" barbed

Isn't GPM the effective flowrate? And delta T is easily converted to C/W, as long as the power input (heatload) is known. Block restriction is not something you can change, so how exactly should that be taken into account? I think his method of analysis is perfectly fine, much better than the methods that some "reputable" reviewers use.

cloaked said:

I think after a while, 3/8" may be a standard. It's like how engines for the longest time were all about more displacement = power....but the japanese were all about smaller rev ahppy engines for that power....really neither were wrong, but in teh end the japanese standard took over...heck even the new mustangs are more rev-happy than ever.

..Just a bad comparison by the mustang guy :p

zer0signal667 said:
Isn't GPM the effective flowrate? And delta T is easily converted to C/W, as long as the power input (heatload) is known. Block restriction is not something you can change, so how exactly should that be taken into account? I think his method of analysis is perfectly fine, much better than the methods that some "reputable" reviewers use.

i was simply refering to this note in his review:
This graph is becoming less and less useful as I test waterblocks of widely differing design. The reader's instinct is to say the Maze4 is "a bad block" or that the Cascade is "best", but the dT vs. Flow rate graph only tells one half of the story, though. In my test loop with fully open valves, I could push 3.05GPM through the TDX, 2.58 GPM through an RBX, 2.4GPM through the WhiteWater, and only 2.15GPM through the cascade. This means that the TDX has a much smaller resistance to flow, and that an end user cooling only a CPU with a typical pump (Eheim 1250, Hydor L30) and a ½" loop could expect flow much higher flow rates for the TDX than for a Cascade, Whitewater, or RBX. This typical user would see much less difference in performance than you'd expect by comparing all the blocks at an identical flow rate. I freely admit that I need to produce head loss vs. flow rate graphs for the waterblocks I test; this information would allow us to make "apples to apples" comparisons.
from here [procooling.com]
sorry about my other innacurate comments, i was tired ;) (its so much fun to use that excuse for misinformation)

btw i have found the procooling reviews and forums the best for watercooling information on the net.

Back