New to Linux... Trying to figure out Ubuntu crashes

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
So I'm working on a production server at work to host a python/flask application I'm writing.

We just got a new Windows 2012 R2 server, so I figured I'd use a Hyper-V VM to play around with this.

From what I read online, I should use Ubuntu + Nginx + uWSGI for hosting my application.

Having never used linux before, it's been a few days of information cramming as i fumble my way through setting up Ubuntu server and all the required nonsense for my app.

Initially I was worried about using anything not windows due to my lack of experience, but as I plugged along it didn't seem too difficult, and also seemed very stable as I wasn't running into any problems... until today.

I had just installed MySQL 5.5 and started getting these strange [INFO] tickers in the terminal, sometimes even interrupting what I was trying to type. There were a couple... kworker/0:1 and systemd-udevd, both blocked for more than 120 seconds...

I didn't like that, and had been remiss about creating a snapshot AT ALL, so I figured I'd make a new VM to try to re-create the problem so I could figure out what it was.

Created a new VM, installed Ubuntu 12.04, and as before the first thing I did was do-release-upgrade to get to 14.04. Unlike before where the upgrade went perfectly, this time i got errors during the upgrade It seemed to freeze up the whole VM as I was unable to switch terminals and was different than the INFO ticker i was getting before, so I'm guessing it's kinda like a BSOD.

Anyway, figured I'd try again. Another VM, another install, and another do-release-upgrade. Same deal, slightly different text on the screen though.

Anyway, here's as much of it as I could grab, all frozen up so I cannot scroll to the beginning:
LfaMbp9.png

Here's a TL;DR and a couple questions:
- Setting up a ubuntu web server without knowing anything about linux
- Got some errors, dunno wtf

Questions:
1. Anyone know what may be going on with these errors?
2. Is it a dumb idea for me to try to make a production server on an OS which i know nothing about and am I better off trying to find a Windows solution even though it's not recommended?

Thanks dudes for any help.

edit: Found some references to bad memory online while searching the BUG string, I'm going to run memtest over the weekend to rule that out

Last edited:
Why not just install 14.04 from the get go?
Good question. I actually didn't even think about it cause ive installed so many windows service packs over the years. But now that you mention it, I never trust windows upgrades and this is more akin to that.

I just figured since they tell you about the command it was a common thing.

If you're using a virtual machine you can find preconfigured LAMP and probably LNMP hosts. Just download the image and run it.

And I'm using python not php, which from my understanding is the typical lamp stack.

I'll be trying cannas suggestion and ill have my fingers crossed that I don't run into too many more problems. Thats my fear, troubleshooting lots of issues on an os I know nothing about. Will post back here Monday after I play with it more.

So the RAM went through 52 passes of memtest86+ over the weekend without errors. Think we're good there ^_^

Did a fresh install with Ubuntu 14.04 and it all seems to be going pretty well. I guess my freakout was a little premature. In any case, I installed mysql-5.6 again to see if indeed it was the cause of the errors i was getting, and sure enough it is. Grabbed a screenshot this time of what it's doing. It will do this over and over again.

d8nO4HM.png

Anyone know what is up with this? Google is coming up blank :confused:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/2/662

Kworker is a placeholder process for kernel worker threads. The systemd-udevd seems to be trying to look at the device the Hyper-V balloon driver is trying to make. I suspect that dynamic memory (aka. memory hot-add/remove) may be related to this issue.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/2/662

Kworker is a placeholder process for kernel worker threads. The systemd-udevd seems to be trying to look at the device the Hyper-V balloon driver is trying to make. I suspect that dynamic memory (aka. memory hot-add/remove) may be related to this issue.

That's the closest thing I've seen talking about it, so i'll bet your suspicions are right. I am using Dynamic Memory in my Hyper-V configurations.

And it actually stopped giving me those messages about 15 minutes ago. Not sure why or what changed... I suspect I'll be seeing it again at some point. Hopefully I can figure out what triggers it so I can create another VM without dynamic memory and do some tests.

Nice find.

The bug realized you found it so it moved under a different relay.

Back