New to Intel 13th Gen - Anti Bend Bracket

My MSI S360 comes with paste preapplied. Do you think that is good enough or should I clean it and use different paste?
After I read the tests and reviews about the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste it is the only paste I will use moving forward. I have never had any will probably never have a Noctua cooler because I don't like the styling (or lack there of) but the paste, the paste is basically top shelf paste performance and longevity wise also the big tube is like 12 dollars I'm about to order a new tube again because I just want to have another for backup. It's among the top 3 performing pastes and priced great value.

After I read the tests and reviews about the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste it is the only paste I will use moving forward. I have never had any will probably never have a Noctua cooler because I don't like the styling (or lack there of) but the paste, the paste is basically top shelf paste performance and longevity wise also the big tube is like 12 dollars I'm about to order a new tube again because I just want to have another for backup. It's among the top 3 performing pastes and priced great value.
That is the kind that I have. I probably will just clean off the preapplied thermal compound and put that stuff on it.

They updated the formula for NT-H2. Costs more, though.

I've always used the NT-H1 because it's not runny or sticky. I got a tube of the NH-N2 and it's definitely on the more runny/sticky side. I'll stick with the H1

Bumping this up, I decided to spend some Amazon rewards and snatch a 13900K, my 12700KF is going to a different build. I got the Thermalright bracket, how tight do you screw these in? I noticed when I took off the intel bracket the screws were not very tight, it basically took one finger to break them loose, so I put them back basically like that.

My temps in cinebench r23 instantly hit 100C though, so I'm wondering if I did it wrong. I know throttling should be expected with this chip if you're not undervolting and only on a 360AIO but it gets very hot very fast, like 2-3 seconds every p-core is at 100C and throttling.

IMG_0678.jpgIMG_0677.jpg

Bumping this up, I decided to spend some Amazon rewards and snatch a 13900K, my 12700KF is going to a different build. I got the Thermalright bracket, how tight do you screw these in? I noticed when I took off the intel bracket the screws were not very tight, it basically took one finger to break them loose, so I put them back basically like that.

My temps in cinebench r23 instantly hit 100C though, so I'm wondering if I did it wrong. I know throttling should be expected with this chip if you're not undervolting and only on a 360AIO but it gets very hot very fast, like 2-3 seconds every p-core is at 100C and throttling.

View attachment 550160View attachment 550161
What I did was slowly lower it by turning each screw 45 degrees until I got resistant where it wouldn’t turn. Basically lowering it down. Do not do tighten it beyond that.

What I did was slowly lower it by turning each screw 45 degrees until I got resistant where it wouldn’t turn. Basically lowering it down. Do not do tighten it beyond that.
That's what I did as well.

Ok thats what I did, like a criss cross pattern and just barely tightened it.

I have no problems at all with how it runs (cb r23 is 40494), it just gets hot fast but I think my board put some crazy power limit on, because when I first booted it up it asked me what kind of cooler I had on it when the bios popped up for the CPU swap.

Unfortunately Nvidia RTX cards suck dick at using DP witha 4k screen, so every time I have to get into the bios I have to go get a different monitor. I guess I'll change it to enforce intel limits tomorrow since I already put it away for tonight after I got to windows.

View attachment 550160View attachment 550161
That's normal.on my 13900KS I have one of the best cpu blocks the Quantum Velocity 2 with 840mm of push pull Alphacool copper and it still spikes up to about 85 and even stock it's still in between the 80 to 90 range. It has 24 cores and 32 threads at full load that's a lot of work in one chip.

For the installation I just softly tighten every screw in a cross pattern no real force just kinda snug with my fingers force that's it.
The block on the other hand has a lot of force not sure I may have over tightened it lol but I wanted good contact. I may revisit it and loosen them if I don't need so much force.

That's normal.on my 13900KS I have one of the best cpu blocks the Quantum Velocity 2 with 840mm of push pull Alphacool copper and it still spikes up to about 85 and even stock it's still in between the 80 to 90 range. It has 24 cores and 32 threads at full load that's a lot of work in one chip.

For the installation I just softly tighten every screw in a cross pattern no real force just kinda snug with my fingers force that's it.
The block on the other hand has a lot of force not sure I may have over tightened it lol but I wanted good contact. I may revisit it and loosen them if I don't need so much force.

Yeah I used XTU and popped off a quick -0.1000v offset and its like 85C max in cb23 now after around 10 minutes. Score dropped from 40500 to 39800 but I don't care, its for gaming anyways. TBH I probably should have gotten the 13700K but I wanted to try a top tier chip. I have no complaint about the temps really I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the bracket mount and caused it myself.

Yeah I used XTU and popped off a quick -0.1000v offset and its like 85C max in cb23 now after around 10 minutes. Score dropped from 40500 to 39800 but I don't care, its for gaming anyways. TBH I probably should have gotten the 13700K but I wanted to try a top tier chip. I have no complaint about the temps really I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the bracket mount and caused it myself.
I have a thread in the Intel cpu section of this forum where I experiment with clocking it up to 6GHz and turning off hyperthreading and 8 E cores and 12 e cores. It's the 13900K frequency and voltages thread. You can bring down temps significantly and clock higher if you can tune it.

I have a thread in the Intel cpu section of this forum where I experiment with clocking it up to 6GHz and turning off hyperthreading and 8 E cores and 12 e cores. It's the 13900K frequency and voltages thread. You can bring down temps significantly and clock higher if you can tune it.

Yeah I'm going to try a couple of things with it later, my biggest problem is BIOS access. Its such a pain in the butt I have to move the entire PC to a different spot to use a different monitor.

I finally was able to build my system and I just used the thermalright bracket. Using MSI S360 AIO my everyday work usage is around 38c. I played some BF2042 maxed out and the CPU only went to a max 65c. I haven't ran cinebench yet to see how the max thermal usage. I probably will do that later today but everyday usage it is actually just slightly more efficient than my old AMD 5900x which idled at 40c and BF2042 made it go to 70c (this is with Artic Freezer II 280). Of course I realized that running 100% the 5900x might be more efficient but so far I am liking what I am seeing. Every review saying how much power and thermals it uses should have looked at normal use cases. Wattage wise it is running around 190watts (this includes the monitor) during normal day usage. During BF2040 it was maxing in the low 700s which I was expecting at least 100-150 more watts versus my old 2070 super vs 4090. My old 5900x\2070 super would max around the low 500s.

Your 5900x sucked or your aio did or both, mine idles at 36c in a 72-73.6f room with a d15.

Your 5900x sucked or your aio did or both, mine idles at 36c in a 72-73.6f room with a d15.
Still I was not expecting under normal daily use that the 13900K would be in the same ballpark thermal and even power wise as my 5900x.

There's still something wrong. I use that setting on my board with a 360mm AIO and still don't hit temps like you're seeing under a load with a 13700k.

Apparently its pretty common with the 13900K and 360AIO especially if you don't have the fans turned up all the way. I still have it running a -0.100v offset and the max I see is like 82C while running cinebench for 10 minutes. No big deal, its not the first CPU that runs hot like this.

I finally was able to build my system and I just used the thermalright bracket. Using MSI S360 AIO my everyday work usage is around 38c. I played some BF2042 maxed out and the CPU only went to a max 65c. I haven't ran cinebench yet to see how the max thermal usage. I probably will do that later today but everyday usage it is actually just slightly more efficient than my old AMD 5900x which idled at 40c and BF2042 made it go to 70c (this is with Artic Freezer II 280). Of course I realized that running 100% the 5900x might be more efficient but so far I am liking what I am seeing. Every review saying how much power and thermals it uses should have looked at normal use cases. Wattage wise it is running around 190watts (this includes the monitor) during normal day usage. During BF2040 it was maxing in the low 700s which I was expecting at least 100-150 more watts versus my old 2070 super vs 4090. My old 5900x\2070 super would max around the low 500s.
I experimented with reducing the voltage a bit you could prolly get away with -0.030v to reduce it a bit not much but completely stable for me in every game and stress test.

Apparently its pretty common with the 13900K and 360AIO especially if you don't have the fans turned up all the way. I still have it running a -0.100v offset and the max I see is like 82C while running cinebench for 10 minutes. No big deal, its not the first CPU that runs hot like this.
That seems about right.

I just did some unreal engine compiling and the max temp it produced was 98c and the total wattage (with monitor) was a max 711 watts. I never saw it get to 100c so I assume it never throttled. It was avg around 90c for the most part.

You were ab
Which CPU is this? You were able to go -0.100v that's pretty good. What is the voltage and clock speed in Cinebench R23 32 threads run? Have you check for stability in prime and gaming ?

You were ab

Which CPU is this? You were able to go -0.100v that's pretty good. What is the voltage and clock speed in Cinebench R23 32 threads run? Have you check for stability in prime and gaming ?

This is what its looking like:

13900k.png

I have the cheap bracket from Aliexpress (one that gamersnexus tested) and used installed one on my 12700K and my cooler is NZXT X62 and I noticed no difference in temps.

I also noticed that the anti-bend bracket does not put clamp-down force on the CPU.

I bought the thermalright one and installing it was easy. Just don't overtighten. I noticed temp decrease pretty bigly. 5 to 10c on my rig for my 13700k. I disabled hyperthreading and disabled 4 e cores and have 4 e cores running. My cinebench went from 100c throttling with 7 minutes left in the bench to not going above 66c. The temps during cinebench are now 55 to 64c and do not go higher at all. I applied LLC at level 4 on my asus z690-p board and also set a negative offset of .05. Also put my p1 at 125 and p2 at 253..intel spec. Bought the thermalright on amazon for 12 including tax and delivery with prime. Probably best purchase for a cpu in awhile.

My temps are bomb diggity now for the 13700k.

So many different ones on amazon

Limited-time deal: Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA 1700 Retrofit Kit, 17XX-BCF Bracket Intel 12th 13th Generation Anti-Bending Buckle Black https://a.co/d/7P5DipZ

Is this the one everyone’s getting?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Limited-time deal: Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA 1700 Retrofit Kit, 17XX-BCF Bracket Intel 12th 13th Generation Anti-Bending Buckle Black https://a.co/d/7P5DipZ

I've gotten 3 of those, they work great. Just remember to barely snug the screws, if you torque it a lot it probably won't POST.

I got two of those.

This is the one I use.

yup, just built a 13700k machine and used that one. My temps at stock in r23 ran at a max of 92° with a CLC280. I tinkered with XTU just a little yesterday, set offset to -.060 and it maxed at 82°. I still need to learn doing this stuff in bios to make it permanent.

And it comes with a pretty big amount of TF7, which is good thermal paste.

Is this the same one but in gray? It's $10.59 on Amazon

It's mildly humorous that we're back to damaging CPU's doing basic installation steps like we were with AMD back in the Athlon XP days.

Do these engineers not learn lessons on designing these things?

Edit: I suppose it's always possible to have a dumber consumer too when releasing products, just asking an obvious question.
Ah, the shim kits! For the Barton 2500+, right? Back when all dies were 'direct cooled'. Good times....

I got one of these for my recent build. I did use the TF7 paste. Had enough for at least 3 applications (still some in the tube, I think). I mounted it twice (and used more TF7 when swapping the CPU on another PC): I did tighten it quite a bit the first go-round. But, after disassembling due to no POST (turned out to be a bad wall cord - how often has that ever happened?), I didn't tighten it much past the point of resistance (maybe a quarter turn).

I'm using the MSI 280R AIO (exhausting up, 3x120 intake fans), and temps are great. As this was a new build, I can't comment on stock ILM temps. But, cheap insurance.

-bZj

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-27 080954.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 080954.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230723_004906235.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230723_004906235.MP.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230724_001843623.jpg
    PXL_20230724_001843623.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
It depends on your motherboard and also the mounting hardware for your cooler.

A. some 12th/13th gen motherboards bend a lot. Some do not. Generally, the nicer boards with 10 and 12 layer PCB, probably are the ones which bend less.
B. If your cooler has a really thick backplate, that helps keep the motherboard from bending. If you can, install the backplate BEFORE installing the CPU. This helps keep the board straight. A board which bends less + a thick backplate, means your probably won't see any real improvement with that thermalright bracket.
C. However, if your board bends or if your cooler doesn't have a nice backplate, that bracket can help a lot. usually around 3 -5c. Some people get close to 10c improvement. Watch a video on how to install it. You don't tighten the screws really tight.
It has nothing to do with the motherboard. The stock Intel mouting frame was putting too much pressure on the center of CPU, warping the package and IHS in some instances, causing poor contact with the cooling solutions. The contact frames prevent this by applting even presure on the CPU and socket, thus improving contact in those instances. It appears some board manufaturers have sourced better frames for 7xx series boards, as it seems to be less common now. The warping could be permanent in some cases, thus lack of significant improvment reported, it's a cheap insurance policy provided you don't damage anything on install.

It has nothing to do with the motherboard. The stock Intel mouting frame was putting too much pressure on the center of CPU, warping the package and IHS in some instances, causing poor contact with the cooling solutions. The contact frames prevent this by applting even presure on the CPU and socket, thus improving contact in those instances. It appears some board manufaturers have sourced better frames for 7xx series boards, as it seems to be less common now. The warping could be permanent in some cases, thus lack of significant improvment reported, it's a cheap insurance policy provided you don't damage anything on install.
Interesting. Good thing I installed it on a fresh build. No warping guaranteed 👍

yeah I have one of these on my i7-12700K not sure what temp diff would be as I put it on when 1st building this rig (in retrospect I should have made sure it posted first..but MEH?) It seems "fine" in that it seems to work fine and my temps are pretty decent with my Peerless Assassin 120.
1690955338075.png

Oh here is a shot of temps running Cinebench R23 w/ my i7-12700K and a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 and using the antibend thing (ambient temp approx 80F currently).
undervolt_2.png

Back