New system

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
Well, I finally spent the money on an upgrade to dual core and I should be moving up in the ranks a little bit again. At least I should stop dropping like a rock.

I will have to say these Core2Duos are very nice. I snagged an E6400 and a Gigabyte DS3 board and so far seem to be sitting at 3.2 Ghz stable. I have yet to really raise the vcore and I think I still have plenty of headroom. Unfortunately, I'm using the stock cooler due to budgetary concerns. However, I'm using the included thermal pad and have not put Arctic Silver on it yet, so I'm hoping to get a bit of a temp drop when I do that. Currently running around 55C full load.

Oh yeah, the 364 pointers kick ass on these Conroes. 700+ PPD at 3.2. It takes around 11 hours to finish one.

I wonder what it would be like if they put out those 20 pointers again. I remember my [email protected] would chew through one of those in no time. It would probably take longer to download and upload those things than it would to crunch them. For those of you that don't remember them, they were from about a year and a half ago.

SmokeRngs said:
I will have to say these Core2Duos are very nice. I snagged an E6400 and a Gigabyte DS3 board and so far seem to be sitting at 3.2 Ghz stable. I have yet to really raise the vcore and I think I still have plenty of headroom. Unfortunately, I'm using the stock cooler due to budgetary concerns.

Hey Smoke, I've got the same combo that ran at 3.2Ghz stable with stock air cooling ! However I was runing ~63C degrees before I put on an aftermarket cooler w/AS5 (now runs about 10C cooler), so you will definitely see an improvement. I've got another mobo & PS & memory for a new one... just gotta buy the CPU now ... I love this combo !

RPhArrow --\\\---------------------------------------->

SmokeRngs said:
Oh yeah, the 364 pointers kick ass on these Conroes. 700+ PPD at 3.2. It takes around 11 hours to finish one.

Wait till you get a P1499. 364 points. It runs somewhere in 4:40s a frame and about 1140 PPD on my C2D @ 3.33. Under 8 hours to cruch one. :cool:

Killer[MoB] said:
Wait till you get a P1499. 364 points. It runs somewhere in 4:40s a frame and about 1140 PPD on my C2D @ 3.33. Under 8 hours to cruch one. :cool:

Yummy, yummy. I want some of those. That would be nice.

Ive been a AMD man for a while now but i cannot deny the power and performance of the C2D's.
Nice OC BTW.

I just read that IBM is claiming they will get 5ghz out of their 65nm powerPC. They are the developer behind AMDs SOI chips. If this is true AMD should be able to get good numbers out of their 65mn chips. :cool: Intel needs the compitition.

Consider adding a 40mm fan to the northbridge heatsink of that Gigabyte DS3 if you plan to overclock. (obviously you are) . At 3.2Ghz with passive cooling, my northbridge heatsink was too hot to touch ! And I had a few random crashes. I took the heatsink off, scraped the TIM crap off, drilled holes on 2 wings of the HS to attach the fan, put it back on with ArcticSilver5 & the fan. My very subjective "touch test" now tells me the northbridge is running much, much cooler.. Only question now is how long that funky little 40mm fan will last :rolleyes: On all my old abit mobos those fans only lasted about a year.

RPhArrow ---\\------------------------------->

Back