New surface laptop 3 coming in 4 flavors

Revdarian

2[H]4U
The main difference will be the screen size with the appropriate gpu power and... The cpu, because Microsoft announced that they worked with amd to create their ideal semi custom Zen+ APU.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.to...ace-laptop-3-surface-edition-ryzen,40531.html

Edit with another link with even more info:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1493...including-15inch-models-custom-amd-ryzen-apus

The screen sizes are 13.5" and 15"; on the Intel side you can expect a 10nm ice-lake cpu to compete with the 12nm zen+ APUs.

According to Microsoft they expect that the Intel version with slightly better wifi will be preferred for the enterprise sector and the Ryzen semi custom with better gaming performance will be preferred by the average consumer.

Price of the 13.5" starts at 999$; the 15" starts at 1199$; shipping will start on October 22nd, more info on the link.

Edit to add the apu specs:
3780u Surface Edition
Base /boost = 2.3/4.0 GHz
C/T= 4/8
GPU = Vega 11 11CUs @ 1.4 GHz
Power package = 15w
Fast charging to 80% in 1H
3D Mark 11: 5124
3D Mark Timespy: 1126.5

3580u Surface Edition
Base /boost = 2.1/3.7
C/T = 4/8
GPU = Vega 9 9CUs @ 1.3 GHz
Power package = 15w
Fast charging to 80% in 1H

Edit2:
Anandtech specifies that the 13.5 inch models are two flavors of Intel and the 15 inch ones are the APUs, sorry that the data is fragmented I first saw it in techspot and their information was rather sparse, Tom's was better and now maybe Anandtech is more complete.

AMD's models can come with higher capacity ram, up to 32GB VS intel's 16GB and that's because AMD is going with full regular DDR4 2400 VS LPDDR4 3733 that will be powering Intel.

Edit 3: from a joint Microsoft +AMD page, the APUs come with free sync panels.

All in all it will be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
They are also offering versions without the silly cloth KB deck :D

Also, since they are doing fast charging, is the battery actually replaceable, and could the battery be sourced after a year?

Looking in other places, at least the ssd is replaceable so I guess that the batteries are too (the ram is soldered onto the board tho), they still say that it's a bit hard for the average user to open it, so we will have to wait until "I fix it " has one at hand to open up and let us know all the details proper.

They are also offering versions without the silly cloth KB deck :D

Also, since they are doing fast charging, is the battery actually replaceable, and could the battery be sourced after a year?

Charge rate is about 1C, which is pretty normal for lithium batteries. I wouldnt' expect any crazy battery issues from the charging rate.

Generally things take longer to charge due to the charger max amps / cable capacity / battery capacity rather than protecting the battery.

Back