New snowboard falls on my 32 day old 1080P plasma..

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
I know I'm retarded for leaning my snowboard on the wall for 5 secs while I grabbed something but

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4301/dscf3548.jpg

That is the "scratch" but I'm not sure that it is actually a scratch though. Open the picture to the full size and do you see at the very top left of the mark?, there are 3 small marks, I took the microfiber cloth that the tv came with and some cold water and wiped those off! :confused:

Here is a different shot after I tried cleaning it --> http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5742/dscf3553im.jpg
Do you think wax from the board could have been embedded onto the screen? I can still see the individual pixel with the black lining under the mark, it is just dimmer than the rest.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Personally i think it will come off.

Do not attempt this before consulting other more knowledgeable people, but i "think" you can use some sort of rubbing alcohol or similar substance to remove stuff like that.

If i were you i'd head over to AVS and start a thread there to see what the experts have to say: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=167

I agree with the previous comment. You may have a thin anti-glare coat that could be affected by the cleaning solution and AVS Forum is the best place for A/V Questions. You could also try calling/emailing the factory with the question.

1) Try a baby wipe
2) Try some glasses clear (the alcohol based stuff used for eyeglasses)
3) Try some windex (im sure you tried this?)

Also, have you tried using a micro-fiber cloth? They work wonders. (not the crappy cheapo 20 cent one that came with yer tv, thats not really what i concider a micro cloth, i have them all over... go down to yer local auto parts store or ace hardware, get a real micro fiber cloth, should cost you a few bucks)

1) Try a baby wipe
2) Try some glasses clear (the alcohol based stuff used for eyeglasses)
3) Try some windex (im sure you tried this?)

Also, have you tried using a micro-fiber cloth? They work wonders. (not the crappy cheapo 20 cent one that came with yer tv, thats not really what i concider a micro cloth, i have them all over... go down to yer local auto parts store or ace hardware, get a real micro fiber cloth, should cost you a few bucks)
Don't try any of these ideas, with the exception of certain micro-fibre cloths, till you get some sort of confirmation, i for one know that windex will ruin monitor coatings because i've read about it and done it myself. And because you posted the big no-no windex now i'd consider your other ideas suspect.

If it was only glass then it would be easy, but he's dealing with an anti-glare coating as well, which windows and eyeglasses do not have.

No offense or anything but the OP has ruined his screen enough, he doesn't need to smudge a thin anti-glare coating on top of it.

You could also try calling/emailing the factory with the question.
A great idea imho.

Snowboard? blah thats nothing. how about a fake bomb against a old VHS case :p

bombntv.jpg

lol anyway, joke aside, hope you get your issue fixed

Don't try any of these ideas, with the exception of certain micro-fibre cloths, till you get some sort of confirmation, i for one know that windex will ruin monitor coatings because i've read about it and done it myself.

that is correct. baby wipes should be fine, though usually contain a moisturizing lotion (soap/fat based) which you might not want on your screen. original windex contains ammonia, fine on glass, but will ruin LCD/plasma TV screen coatings. i would get confirmation before using alcohol as well, it will dissolve some coatings.

Not that this is the gospel but I hope this helps. I would advise against windex as it will streak your screen. Here is a list of do's and don'ts...http://www.cleanlcds.com/

Here is one that I have used with no issues at all but then again, I really did not have the issue that you are having.

http://www.klearscreen.com/

Its also mentioned in the previously mentioned link as well HTH Good Luck.

I have to throw it in here because I'm a funny guy (sometimes), but you might also want to try Monster Cable's iClean screen cleaner (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2105) because my mother swears on it. :rolleyes:

She's one of those many average shoppers who listens to Best Buy employees. So um, if my mom says it's good, then it's good. Always listen to your mother.

I would check with the manufacturer first.. BUT... I have been cleaning LCDs with windex and a cotton cloth for years.. never once left a scratch, dead pixels, smears, etc.

When LCDs first came out they were a lot more prone to scratches and getting wet... no so much anymore.

the newer anti-glare coatings are a lot hardier then they were when they first came out. They don't tend to scratch near as easily as they used to.

I will say that the "eco friendly" windex is total crap, doesn't clean anything, and leaves smears on whatever you try to clen it with.

If you have a screen that has a huge amount of dust buildup it is not a good idea to use cleaner on it until you have dusted it off... best to use one of those static based dusters that lifts dust off real well.

Feather dusters tend to smear the dust and not actually get it off.

You also don't want to "scrub" with the duster as that can definitely lead to scratches... just a light brush with the duster barely coming in contact with the screen is best. And make sure the duster is clean beforehand.

I bought some Monster Cleaning solution that came with a microfiber rag but after further investigation I noticed that the mark is indeed not embedded but it is where the material has been stripped off when it slid across. Therefore I'm going to have to replace the panel. Do any of you have experience replacing panels through Samsung? I thought it is going to be around $600.

Since I only paid $850 and its a $1300 TV I could also maybe pawn it for $600 but that might be asking too much. What sucks is that you can barely notice it while viewing materials but I am a visual OCD freak and that's that.

Have you guys every taken apart a plasma screen? I contacted Samsungparts.com and they can deleiver a new panel for $670 shipped. I would just need to swap them out myself. Is this a difficult DIY project?

Samsung (I believe) had power supply issues a few years ago and there were tons of videos about replacing them- long shot but they probably have tutorials on youtube etc describing this.

I have to throw it in here because I'm a funny guy (sometimes), but you might also want to try Monster Cable's iClean screen cleaner (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2105) because my mother swears on it. :rolleyes:

She's one of those many average shoppers who listens to Best Buy employees. So um, if my mom says it's good, then it's good. Always listen to your mother.

Yeah, I would be out of a job if some people didn't look to us intelligent Best Buy folk. The monster cleaner is actually very good and price very similar to the cheaper stuff.

As far as replacing the panel, I have seen it done once. It was on my parents TV while the service tech was out here and it didn't look at complicated but I wouldn't try it myself.

Yeah, I would be out of a job if some people didn't look to us intelligent Best Buy folk. The monster cleaner is actually very good and price very similar to the cheaper stuff.

As far as replacing the panel, I have seen it done once. It was on my parents TV while the service tech was out here and it didn't look at complicated but I wouldn't try it myself.

You're an exception to the rule. As for the product, nobody's disputing Monster's quality. Monster's known for lying about other products to justify marking up theirs. $20 for an LCD cleaner? Suit yourself. I'll stick with the $4 and $7 screen cleaner that Staples sell.

most plasmas have AR coatings, then the glass, then the actual plasma panel.

If you scratch the AR coating there is nothing you can do except replace the outer panel. Most of the time this costs more than the TV and some brands don't even sell that part to the consumer and therefore the cost of the outer panel plus the install cost will come out to be close to what the television cost.

You cannot get even a small scratch out of an AR coating. You either have to live with it, buy a new tv, or get a huge repair bill.

As far as cleaning a plasma screen......... bottled water and a good cloth will work fine. Your panel should NOT get dirty enough to need anything else. Put water on cloth, wipe dust off, wipe excess water off. No need for "cleaners" unless you want to use them, just choose the right cleaner. Don't use windex, don't use a feather duster because it can and does collect small particles that can scratch your screen.

Trying to clean or remove a scratch will just take the AR coating off and leave you with a bigger problem. It is really annoying that fixing a scratch can and does sometimes cost more than the television. Wall mounting with a entertainment stand in front helps keep things away from the screen or there are 'screen protectors' that are 100+ dollars.

Last edited:
most plasmas have AR coatings, then the glass, then the actual plasma panel.

If you scratch the AR coating there is nothing you can do except replace the outer panel. Most of the time this costs more than the TV and some brands don't even sell that part to the consumer and therefore the cost of the outer panel plus the install cost will come out to be close to what the television cost.

You cannot get even a small scratch out of an AR coating. You either have to live with it, buy a new tv, or get a huge repair bill.

As far as cleaning a plasma screen......... bottled water and a good cloth will work fine. Your panel should NOT get dirty enough to need anything else. Put water on cloth, wipe dust off, wipe excess water off. No need for "cleaners" unless you want to use them, just choose the right cleaner. Don't use windex, don't use a feather duster because it can and does collect small particles that can scratch your screen.

Trying to clean or remove a scratch will just take the AR coating off and leave you with a bigger problem. It is really annoying that fixing a scratch can and does sometimes cost more than the television. Wall mounting with a entertainment stand in front helps keep things away from the screen or there are 'screen protectors' that are 100+ dollars.

A lot of us have cleaners lying around for computer monitors anyways. Fingerprint smudges, sneezing on them, etc. So it's more of a since-you-have-a-cleaner thing.

I think the moral of this story is...stop buying so much new stuff at once and send me your cash instead.

seriously though, have you tried any of the suggestions and gotten results? I have 3 kids so it would be good to know what worked since it is innevitable.

I bought the Monster cleaner but it looks like the outer layer is scratched, the glass is fine but I can just barely catch my fingernail when I run it down toward the scratch. I can buy the replacement panel for $575 shipped so I might end up doing that and replacing it myself with a friend who knows more about electronics. I think you need to have the panel laying down on its side though when you replace it, the glass should be fine though since it is not moving around.

Back