New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would second the removal of the headphone/mic, in favor for more USB, but I might be in a minority. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the way the case is designed as is(+ the 1/4'' length adjustment), and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were available.

+1 more usb the better. superspeed definitely. usb mic/headphones definitely.

You can do as much, you just have to be determined. If I modded the case to fit a PSU in the same way Lan-Gear's mITX does, I'd have all the same options. On mine, I sanded down the face, and filled in the drive bays, and added 2 usb ports instead of having the mic/headphone. It's a very flexible case if you like to mod. The point if this mITX case is that they're attempting to achieve the smallest possible footprint while maintaining long video card support and ATX psu compatibility, whilst not sacrificing cooling. I don't know why anyone would want a larger case for an mITX build. The whole point is that it's a smaller form factor. Besides, changes as drastic as you're suggesting would mean even longer QC time, and we probably wouldn't see this thing for sale for another few months at best.

i tried.but can't fit standard atx psu inside the damn nsk1380 without removing the front usb pcb. or it gets in the way of the video card. or have to cut the top rail. all in all, doesn't rly work.

as long as u say the h5o can fit, i'm in line =D

i tried.but can't fit standard atx psu inside the damn nsk1380 without removing the front usb pcb. or it gets in the way of the video card. or have to cut the top rail. all in all, doesn't rly work.

I removed that USB pcb in favor of 4 modded usb slots after I modified the plastic face of the case. A standard ATX PSU fits up front on its side, and if I had the proper support, I could even have it hover lengthwise into the case. Now that I'm using the P55-T36, I've got even more room to cram it in there, just looks like crap is all.

the only way to fit that psu into the nsk1380 is to hover it from front to middle, just above the cpu/hsf.
my psu measures 180*130*74mm, and there is no way it'd fit any other way with a videocard there blocking pretty much all options.

the only way to fit that psu into the nsk1380 is to hover it from front to middle, just above the cpu/hsf.
my psu measures 180*130*74mm, and there is no way it'd fit any other way with a videocard there blocking pretty much all options.
Well, that's how you'd have to do it with an mATX board, and you could probably rig it up, I can think of at least one way to suspend it/mount it to the front of the case. Right now though I'm using an mITX board in it, so it would fit a lot easier. Still, it's not ideal, since the case isn't designed for this, and there's wasted space. Really can't wait for this case to come out!

Pretty slick looking case. I'm strongly leaning toward giving up the big towers I've traditionally used and keeping most of my storage external. Lugging around a 75lb computer is doing a number on my old bones.
I'm curious about using a full sized PSU though. Almost every one I've seen, including modular, have waay to much cable. I suppose it's a simple modification to remedy that but a bracket for mounting a sff PSU may not be a bad idea and would probably only add minimal cost to the process.

Matt, if you ever want to make some money on unused prototypes....just a thought.

Please make the side ventilation holes bigger. The fans are too loud when pressed against the side panel.

I am not sure when this case is coming, but if I were a guessing man, any time before July would br very unlikely. Just a guess. Id love to see it before then. I'm either going to convert my WHS to this box or do an HTPC or a second gaming box, maybe a 3dvision box for my racing setup...not sure. Can't wait though!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The thread was quite an interesting read. I do agree that the case SHOULD NOT come with a PSU or fans, allowing users to put their own and also keep prices down.

I do not think the the price of this case should exceed $120.

What will be the highest CPU cooler that can be installed once the 0.25" is added to the length?

The thread was quite an interesting read. I do agree that the case SHOULD NOT come with a PSU or fans, allowing users to put their own and also keep prices down.

I do not think the the price of this case should exceed $120.

What will be the highest CPU cooler that can be installed once the 0.25" is added to the length?
It is more marketable to include a PSU..and more profitable for that matter. This is why SilverStone does it for a lot of their new SFF cases.

It is more marketable to include a PSU..and more profitable for that matter. This is why SilverStone does it for a lot of their new SFF cases.

Well, if the SG07 comes out before this one, I might have to consider it if it ends up fitting standard ATX PSUs. Waiting is getting frustrating!

Well, if the SG07 comes out before this one, I might have to consider it if it ends up fitting standard ATX PSUs. Waiting is getting frustrating!

That's almost 11L with 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans (Lan Gear) VS about 15L with one 180mm fan(SG07).

To me, I think it's worth the wait. I do agree that the wait has been quite long already.

Steeeeve, any information on CPU cooler clearance? :)

That's almost 11L with 2 120mm and 2 80mm fans (Lan Gear) VS about 15L with one 180mm fan(SG07).

To me, I think it's worth the wait. I do agree that the wait has been quite long already.

Steeeeve, any information on CPU cooler clearance? :)

I think it's anything up to 150mm. This is an interesting problem; primarily, that if it were 10mm taller it could accept the largest heatsinks. Personally, I'd like to see the height come down, since most 92mm HSF's are 140mm tops.

With ETA september... I don't think I can wait for this case.

Id really like one... but I wan't a new build right now.

Maybe its his guess since Da Box took a long time also. I bet the beta testers havent gotten theres yet.

Well, the only thing Matt has said to us is June-ish. 3 months is a large discrepancy...

It seems the US side and EU part of Lan-Gear gives different dates.

Its probably us in Europe that has to wait a bit longer...

Haven't seen an update from matt in a while...and the website hasn't really been updated since march...

I would second the removal of the headphone/mic, in favor for more USB, but I might be in a minority. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the way the case is designed as is(+ the 1/4'' length adjustment), and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were available.

If there are no headphone/mic jacks on the front then for me it is a NO SALE.

NEWS UPDATE: revision 2.0
Hi All,
We are working on the drawings of REV 2.0 of the mini ITX. We have made quite a few modifications and we are thinking of posting some more pictures of the 1.0 for you to comment.
Overall, we are going to increase the length of 10mm (or less), and the height of 2-3mm. It's mostly to make sure that we are fully compatible with most PSU and heatsink on the market.
Right now, we are limited to about 145mm height (heatsink).
We are also including a compatibility with the H50. Also, a fairly simple mod will allow users to install a 240mm water cooling heatsink on the side.
The rest of the modification will help reduce manufacturing cost and facilitate the assembling of the case (which can be tricky right now).
Stay posted, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Matt, thanks man! All that sounds great to me. And just in time for when I wanna make a new pc.

for the BETA
Could anybody really interested post on this forum? And send me an email [email protected]
To help cover the cost of the prototype, we will ask a $100 participation. It will cover a small portion of the prototype and shipping. You are free to keep the prototype or exchange it for a retail version (and pay the difference in price, probably around $30-$35) when it comes out. In the mean time, you'll get to enjoy it and review it, mod it, do whatever you want with it.:D;)
We are thinking of limiting the number of participant to 10, maybe 12.
It will all depends on how many of you are dying to get their hands on it.

I wanna get in on the beta, but when are you playing to do it? Need to get money so I can buy all the parts too.

The beta will start in approximately 5 weeks from now depending on how fast the prototypes are made. It takes at least 4 weeks to get them ready and we have not completely finished the drawings of the 2.0 yet. But working hard on it.;)

mattinv- I am interested in the BETA program. Just sent you a PM with some questions.

I would definitely be interested in the beta. I've been planning a build around this case since the first shot's came around.

Any word on fitting a radiator on the side? We talked a bit about it on the first page or so.

Looking forward to the pictures of the new version. I don't think I could add that much to the beta Im afraid. If you really want another tester I can have a go. But it probably wouldn't be much more than me building a system, and complaining about some stuff :) Wouldn't be doing that many mods to see what you guys should change for retail.

NEWS UPDATE: revision 2.0
The rest of the modification will help reduce manufacturing cost and facilitate the assembling of the case (which can be tricky right now).
How much would a disassembled case cost? I'm sure people here would be competent enough to put together a case with thumbscrew and such. I would definitely buy an ikea style package if it means a significant drop in price. Not to sure about everyone else. :)

I have an idea which may or not be easy to implement.

On the bottom of the case, could a little trapdoor or something of that kind be installed?

Much like the holes on motherboard trays so installing HSFs is easier. I'd probably cut a hole there when I get the case anyway.

Edit : Oh, and high motherboard stand offs would be a god send.

Edit : Looking at the pictures, I gather that you can't mount 2 P14 fans in there. Moving those 2 sets of holes a little bit apart to allow for 2 P14s would be great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back