New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Even high cost cables have some that fail.
There is a bit of pot luck, especially with long cables

That's totally possible. But at the time I did a search and couldn't find anything lower.

Oh well!!!

I'm at Fry getting a 980TI to try out now. The TV should be delivered by the time I get home :). Cool!

I don't play game that much - probably will with the new Monitor. I would only play car racing game a little bit, maybe will also try soccer game. I mostly use it for coding (web page designs), some photoshop work, and 3D model rendering software (for home building plans). Not sure which card would be best future proof for at least the next couple of years: 970, 980, or wait out for Pascal?!

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Yeah im a bit surprised as this is direct from Amazon under their 'basics' branding and was purported to have enough bandwidth, mind you it is 3m/10ft so I'll see if I can find another thats 2m/6ft

Happy to report that enhanced HDMI works now and RGB full is selectable. So culprit was the amazon basics 3ft cable as you guys predicted, replaced it with this shorter 2ft one and it works - both are rated for the latest spec but maybe the quality, thickness or length factored in here.

However nvidia control panel still doesnt detect the tv's native resolution as 4k, it thinks its 1080p. And although RGB full is selectable, bit depth field remains empty. Only 8bpc is selectable, but it doesnt stick and returns to an empty box. Any ideas on this one?

EDIT: 12bpc works for 30Hz and under - is this a limit of HDMI

WLi3Izy.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why dont you use DVI-HDMI ?? If its works...
Because of chroma. It is not 4:4:4, but something less good according to that test image pattern. I hope that over HDMI it would work. Maybe the cable is not certified enough, not sure about that :) I will try getting different one.

I am really running out of options here as far as PC monitors are concerned so I am highly considering going with a TV. What do think about the JS8500? The initial post lists this as a FLAT TV but it is curved (at least in my country???). Nonetheless, would you recommend it for use as a professional monitor? I do not need Adobe RGB coverage but sRGB 100% is needed and from what I read this model covers it. I am between this and and Asus (PA329Q) monitor but the 32" scares me because of scaling and the issues it has with several programs I am using.

How comfortable will it be for use a monitor for CAD, Photoshop, Graphics design and Content creation (WEB, Documents, 3D). I am looking for feedback from current owners.

JS9000 question : how do you prefer to have the option HDMI black level, as a pc monitor?
Does the Auto option add more input lag?
Thanks

What would be the likely cause if HDMI signal is dropped with black screen after changing to Enhanced HDMI mode (4K 60, 4:4:4, HDR etc?) Am unable to get it working when connected to HDMI1 on GTX 980 TI. Cable is amazon basics and up to date with most specs.

Could it be the GPU, I don't believe it has the latest HDMI spec.

I use one of this from PC to Receiver then a 6ft one from Receiver to TV with a GTX-970. The "Amazon Higd Spedd HDMI" cable that I had was dropping out every minutes until I got one of this

Amazon product ASIN B013ERHK1W

Last edited:
That's totally possible. But at the time I did a search and couldn't find anything lower.

Oh well!!!

I'm at Fry getting a 980TI to try out now. The TV should be delivered by the time I get home :). Cool!

I don't play game that much - probably will with the new Monitor. I would only play car racing game a little bit, maybe will also try soccer game. I mostly use it for coding (web page designs), some photoshop work, and 3D model rendering software (for home building plans). Not sure which card would be best future proof for at least the next couple of years: 970, 980, or wait out for Pascal?!

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Wait for Pascal. GTX-1080 Titan performance at a price cheaper than a 980ti a week ago and use 180W instead of 250W. Available by the end of May.

Happy to report that enhanced HDMI works now and RGB full is selectable. So culprit was the amazon basics 3ft cable as you guys predicted, replaced it with this shorter 2ft one and it works - both are rated for the latest spec but maybe the quality, thickness or length factored in here.

However nvidia control panel still doesnt detect the tv's native resolution as 4k, it thinks its 1080p. And although RGB full is selectable, bit depth field remains empty. Only 8bpc is selectable, but it doesnt stick and returns to an empty box. Any ideas on this one?

EDIT: 12bpc works for 30Hz and under - is this a limit of HDMI

Did you follow the guide? Make sure you have device as "PC" and turn on UHD color in the advanced picture options. (it will reboot the TV) Windows sees native 3840x2160 for both my 9500 and 9000.

As for hdmi 2.0 limits, yes anything above 8 bit/4:4:4 means dropping down to 30hz or less. The interface is really holding stuff back at only 18Gbps but the cartel has a stranglehold on consumer electronics, the panels themselves on high end TVs are way ahead.

The "certified cable" situation is just another sad example of the current state of things, they really should have mandated a new standard/test to prove 4k@60hz instead of letting people have to trial by fire every chinese shack that stamps "high speed" on a 2 cent plastic molding. Ironically I can get 2-3 meter QSFP cables (not exactly mass market) from china for $20 that work at 56Gbps just fine.

I'm using the Samsung JS9000 48" as a PC monitor
Today i received the message for updating to 1452 ( from 1443 )
So, the question is : should i update or not ? I'm using it ONLY as a pc monitor
By the way : i use always the Game Mode, for the better inputlag.
Sometimes the image goes black, it happent randomly.
I changed already 4-5 HDMI 2.0 cables
Any advices, please ?
Thank you

Last edited:
Most of the firmware updates seem to change smart hub stuff, you don't need them for monitor use. That said, I've done all the updates since last year and not had any problems or changes with PC input.

Black screen dropouts are from signal problems which are almost always a cable/connector problem, can be interference but usually that will be bad enough to kill your connection completely.
You've tried a lot of cables, but was it just 4 or 5 different random no-name cheap ones? I'm not saying to go out and get a ripoff monster/whatever cable but try another source. Take a look at the hdmi ports at both ends too, though with the 9xx series you only have 1 to choose from...

on my gtx 980 ti i have only 1 hdmi port
i tried 2,3,4 on the one connect box, but i have only limited, instead Full, on the nvidia control panel
Am I doing something wrong?
Should I try maybe with DP HDMI cable?
Are there any, actually?
By the way, i tried with dvi hdmi, as well, same results, black screen, randomly
3 HDMI cables i tried, aren't that cheap, about 24 euro one cable....
Thanks

Price doesn't mean much, in worst buy stores here there are many ripoff hdmi cables that cannot do 18Gbps, some of them $100+.

No idea about EU but in the US there is a $15 three meter cable made by club3d that is 'certified 4k@60 4:4:4'. Given that they released it along with their DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0 converter and a lot of people tested it in that mode you might try that cable.

I would not bother with a DP converter, it would need to be active and it will add latency. I'd only do that if the port on your card literally burnt out and it was out of warranty.

I'm from Germany, would you please give me some canadian links ?
Someone is coming here at the end of May, i could ask him to buy a HDMI cable for me.
By the way : on some other forum, some users says that the HDMI cable is not the issue.
It could be the software.
Thank you

Are our TV's capable of running 4k@120hz with Chroma 4:4:4?
Now I'm not talking about the "One Box". I'm talking about the TV. Since new nVidia cards will support DP 1.4 it means that 4k@120hz is possible.
But will it be possible to swap out old One Box for an upgraded one and enjoy a higher refresh rate?
I'm using a JS9000 btw.

Last edited:
I'm from Germany, would you please give me some canadian links ?
Someone is coming here at the end of May, i could ask him to buy a HDMI cable for me.
By the way : on some other forum, some users says that the HDMI cable is not the issue.
It could be the software.
Thank you

I bought only one cable (online) and it worked fine. No issues whatsoever.
Since you're from Germany, maybe you can find it in a local store or something? It sounds like it's german design ;)
I bought this 2 meter cable:
KabelDirekt 1m HDMI Cable - PRO Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I am really running out of options here as far as PC monitors are concerned so I am highly considering going with a TV. What do think about the JS8500? The initial post lists this as a FLAT TV but it is curved (at least in my country???). Nonetheless, would you recommend it for use as a professional monitor? I do not need Adobe RGB coverage but sRGB 100% is needed and from what I read this model covers it. I am between this and and Asus (PA329Q) monitor but the 32" scares me because of scaling and the issues it has with several programs I am using.

How comfortable will it be for use a monitor for CAD, Photoshop, Graphics design and Content creation (WEB, Documents, 3D). I am looking for feedback from current owners.
The JS8500 is flat in the US but curved in Europe.

I would not recommend using a large TV for any kind of work other than editing or color grading video, and then only if you have menus and controls on a separate, regular monitor. Certainly not for anything text or detail-oriented. The problem is this: if you sit too close you're going to have to constantly move your head/eyes to see and read everything on the screen, which will be both a very tiring and extremely inefficient way of working (the viewing angles and uniformity will also cause some trouble.) If you sit far enough that it covers the same field of view as a regular monitor then you will have benefited nothing from the size, and it will be harder to focus and concentrate because the screen is farther away.

And this might just be me but I think the matte panels in most monitors are somehow more comfortable for extended periods of focus. Either way I would stay around 30".

I'm using the Samsung JS9000 48" as a PC monitor
Today i received the message for updating to 1452 ( from 1443 )
So, the question is : should i update or not ? I'm using it ONLY as a pc monitor
By the way : i use always the Game Mode, for the better inputlag.
Sometimes the image goes black, it happent randomly.
I changed already 4-5 HDMI 2.0 cables
Any advices, please ?
Thank you

Most of the firmware updates seem to change smart hub stuff, you don't need them for monitor use. That said, I've done all the updates since last year and not had any problems or changes with PC input.

Black screen dropouts are from signal problems which are almost always a cable/connector problem, can be interference but usually that will be bad enough to kill your connection completely.
You've tried a lot of cables, but was it just 4 or 5 different random no-name cheap ones? I'm not saying to go out and get a ripoff monster/whatever cable but try another source. Take a look at the hdmi ports at both ends too, though with the 9xx series you only have 1 to choose from...
I've had my set for about 8 months now and gone through many updates, and I have not noticed a difference even once, so I also think it's just Smart Hub stuff (which I never use, haven't even bothered to set it up.) Incidentally my set always auto-updates even if I've turned auto-updates off, don't know why.

I use an IBRA cable and while I do get occasional split-second black drop-outs, they are pretty rare. The KabelDirekt ones seem OK too, and would have been my next try if the IBRA cable had been no good.

Are our TV's capable of running 4k@120hz with Chroma 4:4:4?
Now I'm not talking about the "One Box". I'm talking about the TV. Since new nVidia cards will support DP 1.4 it means that 4k@120hz is possible.
But will it be possible to swap out old One Box for an upgraded one and enjoy a higher refresh rate?
I'm using a JS9000 btw.

I wish i could have an One Box with DisplayPort, also
I think Samsung has more or less given up on the whole upgradeable input box idea. And DisplayPort is not going to happen because all the TV manufacturers are part of the HDMI association so why would they support a competing standard? Even if the sets are technically capable of 120Hz, be it 4K or 1080p, I am 99.99% certain you will never be able to use them in that mode. Maybe when start using SuperMHL connectors in TVs it'll be possible (supposedly they can handle 8K@120Hz, though I think that's with some lossy compression.)

Just got the 40" JU6700, and I do like it but now I'm seeing the 2016 models with HDR are now available for even cheaper. Anybody know if they're better or worse than the JU6500-era screens for monitor use (or has anyone even received them yet?)

Got my JS9000 mounted to the stand that Commander Shepard suggested in the stickied Samsung monitor set up guide thread. It's a nice, solid stand for the money and lowers the monitor quite a bit if you use the bottom set of holes. It puts the buttom edge of the TV pretty much flush with top of the base of the stand. I ended up moving it up one setting because I found that there are ventilation holes on the bottom of the TV. It might be OK in the other setting but I didn't want to risk it so mine is about 1.75" higher than his, but still lower than the Samsung stand. Initially I was going to put the OneConnect box on the stand, under the bezel, but it's kind of an eyesore IMO so I turned it on its side and got it mostly out of view.

There were also a couple of stands with a swivel feature which would be nice to have...I almost went that route but as this thing sits in a corner, I never have the need to swivel it left or right.

Just got the 40" JU6700, and I do like it but now I'm seeing the 2016 models with HDR are now available for even cheaper. Anybody know if they're better or worse than the JU6500-era screens for monitor use (or has anyone even received them yet?)

If you are limited to size. the only 2016 option is the UN43KU7500 43". The only problem is that is not full HDR, only the KS line and above get the full 10bit HDR Wide color gamut. It's still beter than most 2015 models though and it's cheaper than the JU7500. You can read a semi review here:

Samsung KU7500 Review: 2016 4k Smart TV (UN49KU7500, UN55KU7500)

Given the low price, I may still pick one up and take my JU7500 to the office or I can try to fit a 49" KS8500 on my desk.

I thought there was gonna be a 43KS7500, with full HDR support, at least in Europe? The other KS series should start at 49-55''.

If you are limited to size. the only 2016 option is the UN43KU7500 43". The only problem is that is not full HDR, only the KS line and above get the full 10bit HDR Wide color gamut. It's still beter than most 2015 models though and it's cheaper than the JU7500. You can read a semi review here:

Samsung KU7500 Review: 2016 4k Smart TV (UN49KU7500, UN55KU7500)

Given the low price, I may still pick one up and take my JU7500 to the office or I can try to fit a 49" KS8500 on my desk.
What about the KU6300 vs the JU6500... Newer, better, cheaper?

Just snagged me a JS9000 from Crutchfield for $650. :D Well, technically it cost more, but that's all I paid. Saved up a year's worth of parking subsidies from my work, spent them on Crutchfield gift cards. :) Stoked.

crutch-png.3082

Attachments

• crutch.png
    143 KB · Views: 517
Congrats on finally taking the plunge! Let us know what you think after you get it set up.

Should this thing be able to do the 4:4:4 at 60 hz over HDMI with the Titan X ? Been using BenQ 3201 for a year now but wouldn't mind trying this route. With Amazon's return policy might pull the trigger to try it.

Don't think they'll do 4:4:4. I use an Acer B326 at the office and a JU7500 at home. The JU7500 looks better for games and movies (Netflix, Amazon 4K)

is there any way to turn off the... info screen that pops up when you turn the tv on? the one that says youre on hdmi 1, and logged into smart hub.

Using the Samsun JU7500 series with my Mac Pro, un40ju7500fxza to be precise, and the image quality at 3840x2160 appears to be 8-bit at 30 refresh - very poor. I was using an LG 34UC87M-B prior, which gave a crisp image through thunderbolt and expected the JU7500 to come somewhat close. The manual suggests 10, 12-bit support at 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 for 4K -- has anyone experienced this? I'm attaching some snapshots of what I'm seeing..would appreciate some help.

Attachments

• 2016-05-21_18-51-12.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 6.55.51 PM.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 2016-05-21_18-57-39.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 75
Using the Samsun JU7500 series with my Mac Pro, un40ju7500fxza to be precise, and the image quality at 3840x2160 appears to be 8-bit at 30 refresh - very poor. I was using an LG 34UC87M-B prior, which gave a crisp image through thunderbolt and expected the JU7500 to come somewhat close. The manual suggests 10, 12-bit support at 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 for 4K -- has anyone experienced this? I'm attaching some snapshots of what I'm seeing..would appreciate some help.

to the best of my knowledge, only the nvidia 900 series supports 10 bit @ 60hz

Only the NVidia 9xx and 10xx series graphics cards can send a 60Hz 4:4:4 signal at 4K res over HDMI.
Because they are the only cards that support HDMI 2.0 or higher.
You can get a Display port to HDMI 2.0 converter, but be careful to get a legit one, there are a ton of fakes.

Only the NVidia 9xx and 10xx series graphics cards can send a 60Hz 4:4:4 signal at 4K res over HDMI.
Because they are the only cards that support HDMI 2.0 or higher.
You can get a Display port to HDMI 2.0 converter, but be careful to get a legit one, there are a ton of fakes.
You think, that's the same for some HDMI 2.0 cables ? Could they be fake, as well ??

You think, that's the same for some HDMI 2.0 cables ? Could they be fake, as well ??
Yes there are pretend cables.

Although even legit HDMI 2.0 bandwidth certified cables can fail to give full bandwidth.
They can pass verification with test equipment but not work so well with some hardware on sale.
(note there are no HDMI 2.0 cables just a bandwidth certification. 18Gbps min)

There are many factors that affect digital transmission.
All interfaces have an input or output impedance/resistance.
The cables (transmission line) also have a characteristic impedance.
If these dont match, some of the signal bounces back which reduces the amount received and the signal bouncing back interferes with the incoming signal.

Component and manufacturing quality affect the device impedances.
Wire quality, wire length and manufacturing affect the characteristic impedance.
There are natural variations in the above and the extremes of any can prevent a full bandwidth connection.

Because multiple signal routes are used, they can interfere with each other if the shielding isnt fully effective.
Then their are problems at the connections giving an extra impedance mismatch which can also cause part of the signal to bounce back or even give no connection on one or more signal paths.
Theres a lot that has to work right.

Many people have what appear to be troublesome TVs.
They have tried many high quality cables, some quite costly, but they still needed to use a large selection to get one that worked consistently.
Such is life.

Moral of the story...
Get a decent quality cable, one that is very well reviewed.
Be prepared to try a few cables.
Keep the cable length as short as you can get away with because this is one of the major factors behind signal degrading.
If a cable goes round too tight a bend or gets pinched/squashed, this will affect its characteristic impedance and can cause a bandwidth reduction + signal quality issues.

Last edited:
So what's so good about these Samsung 4k TV? I thought those Korean 4k monitors that are like 43", 49", 55" are better in term if input lag and latency?

Back