New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Wiz33, how is the size of 40 inches, compared to the 32 one?
I also have the Benq BL3200PT
Im undecided between 40 and 43 inch, ips or va
Would that be a noticeable difference from 32 to 40 inch?

The 40" seems huge compare to the 32". I sit about 21" from the 32" at the office and I can run it at 100% font with minimal eye fatigue for a full day of work. I sit about 36"-40" from the 40" at home and it's barely OK at 100% font size. If I have to do a lot of work at home. I'll probably move it closer or get a larger size.

Been messing around with my new 7500 all afternoon. One big problem: there's no way to get it on my desk where it's more than 18-20 inches from my face. I didn't expect the 40" to be as big as it is. :eek:

The 32" BenQ 4K I ordered won't be here until next week. I don't know if it'll fit on my desk, either.

This sux.

On a positive note, I really like the curved screen. Even if the Sammy doesn't work as a monitor for me, I think my next main TV is going to be a curved screen.

I sit 21" from my Acer 32" 4K and it's perfect at the office, minimal eye fatigue even after a full day of work. I sit about 36"-40" from my 40" JU6700 at home and I may have to move it closer if I need to do a lot of work (excel and stuff).

Ok then, my last and final decision : 40 inch, VA :D
What about my question from #2680 ?

@ironcross13

6900 is a 2014 model, which is no good! Does not support 4:4:4!

Go with JU65XX, which are curved models in Europe, or JU64XX, which are flat.

Darwin32, i go for either Samsung UE40JU7090 or Samsung UE40JU6450, but i want to find out why Samsung UE40JU7090 is 400 euro more
What about the Input lag on those 2 ?
Thank you

Darwin32, i go for either Samsung UE40JU7090 or Samsung UE40JU6450, but i want to find out why Samsung UE40JU7090 is 400 euro more
Thank you

7090 is 3D, higher Backlight refresh rate and suppose to have a better scaler chip for upscaling 1080 content to 4K.

Thank you

7090 has 3D, more Hz, maybe twin tuner and perhaps some other TV related bonuses, none of which you will probably need when using as monitor.

And the real difference is not 400€,, This is just the case due to availability, because these TVs has just come out recently and prices hasn't settled down yet.. Where I live (Slovenia), UE40JU6472 is 860€, UE40JU6510 is 985€, while UEJU7090 is 1044€,

Personally I'd stick with IPS for fast games, and office work/reading.

But for everything else once you've tasted a good VA it's hard to go back.

+1 for gaming, but -1 for office work/reading.

I think VA-panels are by far the best panels for office work/reading displays. With IPS panels you get bright sparkles in white areas - I think this is the reason why some people get eye strain orr headaches from IPS displays or call them "aggressive" to their eye.

In contrast the picture of a VA-panel looks, well, kind of "dead". A white area is just a plain white area, there is no sparkling going on inside it. This is perfect for office work and reading. Photos on the other hand will look much more "alive" when you look at them on an IPS display with some IPS sparkling going on.

Well, my base line is: best panel for gaming is TN, best panel for media creation (photoshop etc.) is IPS, best panel for media consumption is VA. I personally go for VA and game or create media on it anyway.

7090 is 3D, higher Backlight refresh rate and suppose to have a better scaler chip for upscaling 1080 content to 4K.

Do i need " higher Backlight refresh rate / a better scaler chip for upscaling 1080 content to 4K " as a PC monitor ?

I'm telling you those prices hasn't settled down yet due to availability and whatnot.. 1400€ is a joke.

I order a lot of things from Germany, as you guys are bigger and usually 10-15% cheaper..

But now look at this - a shop here in Slovenia: UE40JU7090

Or Italy: UE40JU7000

Again, availability. And you must search the market more broadly. :)
I can get UE40JU6472 for 860€ here, which is just another design variation from 6450...

Anyway, just grab 6450 if you want a flat version, and 6550 if you want a curved one.. You almost certainly won't benefit anything by going with 7XXX.

Yes, i think i go with UE40JU6450, i hope it won't dissapoint me ( the VA panel )

I hope it's awesome :D
And i also hope Samsung UE40JU6450 is a better choice than Philips BDM4065UC

Been messing around with my new 7500 all afternoon. One big problem: there's no way to get it on my desk where it's more than 18-20 inches from my face. I didn't expect the 40" to be as big as it is. :eek:

The 32" BenQ 4K I ordered won't be here until next week. I don't know if it'll fit on my desk, either.

This sux.

On a positive note, I really like the curved screen. Even if the Sammy doesn't work as a monitor for me, I think my next main TV is going to be a curved screen.

I had some of the same dilemma, just with height. Problem solved with a new chair... much better chair at that.

You can always change your setup, never the display. Don't buy a display based upon that in my opinion... Also, I have half the stand sitting off the back of my desk to be further away from the TV. It's not unstable, so keep in mind the whole back of the stand doesn't do much in the way of supporting the TV because of how it's designed.

@ironcross13

6900 is a 2014 model, which is no good! Does not support 4:4:4!

Go with JU65XX, which are curved models in Europe, or JU64XX, which are flat.

thanks i understand now lol so they have 4:4:4!?
+1 for gaming, but -1 for office work/reading.

I think VA-panels are by far the best panels for office work/reading displays. With IPS panels you get bright sparkles in white areas - I think this is the reason why some people get eye strain orr headaches from IPS displays or call them "aggressive" to their eye.

In contrast the picture of a VA-panel looks, well, kind of "dead". A white area is just a plain white area, there is no sparkling going on inside it. This is perfect for office work and reading. Photos on the other hand will look much more "alive" when you look at them on an IPS display with some IPS sparkling going on.

Well, my base line is: best panel for gaming is TN, best panel for media creation (photoshop etc.) is IPS, best panel for media consumption is VA. I personally go for VA and game or create media on it anyway.
is the motion delay bad on VA? so is there much difference in this and the Philips 40inch?

I hope it's awesome :D
And i also hope Samsung UE40JU6450 is a better choice than Philips BDM4065UC

The curved screen is definitely worth it as the main weakness on a VA is colour/contrast shift as the viewing angle increases. I think you'll be happy as I had a couple friends over to play with mine already (they owe a variety of 27" to 32" IPS ) and they were quite impressed by the Samsung's picture quality, especially the details in dark area.

Last edited:
Have the 40 inch 7500 but darn curious about trading it in for the 48. What to do haha???

Hey guys, how is this gonna compare to the 7500 as a monitor?http://touch.groupon.com/deals/gg-4...g4k&wid=http://www.logicbuy.com&fallback=true

I am comparing the 7500 and Acer predator right now side by side for the role as my next monitor but this ones price is tempting.

If you're Ok with no 60hz 4:4:4. For what it's worth, Avsforum members stated the JU 7100/7500 series are superior to the HU8550 (2014). 2014 and 2015 are totally different tech and the jump is pretty substantial.

Have the 40 inch 7500 but darn curious about trading it in for the 48. What to do haha???

As long as you understand it's a huge jump in size. I returned a 48" for my current 40" for what it's worth. But others moved up and loved it.

I had some of the same dilemma, just with height. Problem solved with a new chair... much better chair at that.

You can always change your setup, never the display. Don't buy a display based upon that in my opinion... Also, I have half the stand sitting off the back of my desk to be further away from the TV. It's not unstable, so keep in mind the whole back of the stand doesn't do much in the way of supporting the TV because of how it's designed.
I'm kinda limited in my chair choice, cuz I'm in a wheelchair. It's a sports chair designed for speed and handling, not height adjustments. HA! My workstation desk is built for my chair, too, so adjusting it or just buying something else ain't really options, either. I think I'll be returning my 7500. I might get the 55" for my living room TV. Either that or I'll get a 1080p OLED.

If you're Ok with no 60hz 4:4:4. For what it's worth, Avsforum members stated the JU 7100/7500 series are superior to the HU8550 (2014). 2014 and 2015 are totally different tech and the jump is pretty substantial.

As long as you understand it's a huge jump in size. I returned a 48" for my current 40" for what it's worth. But others moved up and loved it.

Yeah I won't go back in tech from the 7500 I have now. Only options are 40 48 and the ACER Predator.

So tell me please how what you find better about the 40 as I have only heard it the other way :)

How's the 40in JU6500 for general day to day PC use as a desktop monitor?

If the main difference between that and the 7100 is ghosting and the lack of 24p seems like it would be perfect for me as a desktop monitor. I already have a better TV for 4k gaming but would be nice to have more screen real estate on my desk.

Is the GTX 780 still one of the cheapest cards to get 444 60hz with hdmi 2.0? My other tv has it through display port MST and it looks way better than the cheap seiki tv's but it isn't always practical to work on a 65" screen with no desk.

I did some analysis comparing the size of the 40" to the 48".

Given specs for the Samsung 40" and 48" displays:
40" is actually 39.5", 111.54 DPI, 34.4" wide, 19.4" high (without bezel)
48" is actually 47.6", 92.56 DPI, 41.5" wide, 23.3" high
(width and height was calculated assuming square pixels)

I wondered, what is the equivalent viewing distance for the 40" and 48" displays at the same PPD (Pixels Per Degree)?

The formula for PPD is:
PPD = 2 x Tan(1/2) x Inches away x DPI
Or:
PPD = 0.01745 x Inches away x DPI

You don't need PPD to simply convert the viewing distance. The formula to convert viewing distance from 40" to 43":
Inches away from 40" x (DPI of 40" / DPI of 43") = Inches away from 43"
Or:
Inches away from 40" x 1.205 = Inches away from 43"

These will be the same 29.2 PPD:
The 40" Samsung sitting 15" away
The 48" Samsung sitting 18.1" away

These will be the same 38.9 PPD:
The 40" Samsung sitting 20" away
The 48" Samsung sitting 24.1" away

These will be the same 48.7 PPD:
The 40" Samsung sitting 25" away
The 48" Samsung sitting 30.1" away

Now, I see why people are having trouble deciding between the two. Neither is a great size. The 40" (which is only 39.5") is too small, and the 48" (actually 47.6") is too big.

The DPI of the 40" is a little too high and needs to sit a little too close compared to most monitors. Some would say just enlarge the UI and sit it back further and then it's good. I don't have fine grain control over the size of the UI to make it just a little bit bigger, or that might be a good option. Personally, I would want a much higher DPI in order to enlarge the UI.

I like the DPI of the 48", but it's a little too tall. At 23.3" plus the bezel at the bottom, the top of the screen is at least 24" off the desk if it's sitting directly on the desk without a stand. I'm not sure I want to look up that high. The 40" would have the top of the screen at least 20" off the desk, which is good, but 1-2" more might be better.

I've recently been using monitors of 90 DPI, 104 DPI, and 108 DPI. The 108 DPI is already a little too high for my liking. The 40" at 111.54 DPI is even higher.

It's surprising that Samsung decided to make a 48" and a 50" (actually 47.6" and 49.5"). That's only 1.9" different! WTF? Instead of a 48", they should have made a 44", or closer to midway between 39.5" and 49.5".

Specs for a 44" display: 100.13 DPI, 38.3" wide, 21.6" high (without bezel)
The top of the screen would sit at least 22.3" off the desk. That would be closer to perfect.

I've gone back and forth between thinking I want the 40" and the 48". Now I'm leaning toward the 48". I saw the 40" in the store, and honestly, it didn't look as big or impressive as I imagined. Of course, it wasn't sitting on my desk, it was sitting next to 80" tvs, lol. If I raise my seat as high as I can, the height of the 48" might be fine.

Yeah I won't go back in tech from the 7500 I have now. Only options are 40 48 and the ACER Predator.

So tell me please how what you find better about the 40 as I have only heard it the other way :)

It's the Goldilock size. The 32" is too small. The 48" is too big. From 27 to 32 is 5 inches and isn't really that substantial. However, the jump to 40" is fairly substantial. The dpi I believe is equivalent to a 1440p 27". At 30-36", you can make out the pixels of a 48". I use mine for productive work as well, therefore 40" is just a comfortable size for desktop work.

If you only game, I think 48" should be fine.

Is the GTX 780 still one of the cheapest cards to get 444 60hz with hdmi 2.0? My other tv has it through display port MST and it looks way better than the cheap seiki tv's but it isn't always practical to work on a 65" screen with no desk.

780 doesn't support HDMI 2.0. You need a minimum of 960.

My youtube app stopped working. When I try to play something all I get is a still pic of HDMI1 (my PC screen). Sound plays. Any ideas?

The curved screen is definitely worth it as the main weakness on a VA is colour/contrast shift as the viewing angle increases. I think you'll be happy as I had a couple friends over to play with mine already (they owe a variety of 27" to 32" IPS ) and they were quite impressed by the Samsung's picture quality, especially the details in dark area.
so is it a bettermonitor than the 40inch Philips?

It's the Goldilock size. The 32" is too small. The 48" is too big. From 27 to 32 is 5 inches and isn't really that substantial. However, the jump to 40" is fairly substantial. The dpi I believe is equivalent to a 1440p 27". At 30-36", you can make out the pixels of a 48". I use mine for productive work as well, therefore 40" is just a comfortable size for desktop work.

If you only game, I think 48" should be fine.

780 doesn't support HDMI 2.0. You need a minimum of 960.

Sweet, the 960's are even cheaper, haven't been following the video card releases much this year but seems to be the perfect card to pair with a uhd 444 60p display.

The size debate has been rehashed several times.

40" isn't "too small". That's asinine. 48" isn't "too large". These statements are backed up by a plethora of ecstatic owners of each. Please stop assuming that everyone's desk setup and preferences are equal to your own. There is no definitive answer to the size question...only opinion.

I want the curved 40 but the 28ms response time scares me.

It's more like 52.6ms now if you read about 10 pages back for 4K resolution. The super low ms latency #'s came from 1080p testing. Waiting on newer firmware to hopefully fix the current issues or more confirmation on workarounds.

I dont understand the point with viewing angles. When i'm in front on the monitor, i never sit away 30 degrees or 50 degrees left / rigth

Back