New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Anyone else playing GTA V in 21:9? (3840x1607 Window Borderless)

If not, try it.

Will definitely be using those modes when I get my Titan X/390X if 4K can't hack it. Somebody convince me why 980 SLI is better than TitanX or vice versa? I'm not sure if I can wait another 3 months... buy now or wait? When will BestBuy have Titan X in stock (I have 250 in credit with them)?

Will definitely be using those modes when I get my Titan X/390X if 4K can't hack it. Somebody convince me why 980 SLI is better than TitanX or vice versa? I'm not sure if I can wait another 3 months... buy now or wait? When will BestBuy have Titan X in stock (I have 250 in credit with them)?

Anything below VRAM count of 8GB is a no go. Even Shadow of Mordor uses more than 6GB currently if maxed at 4k, and that's a last-gen engine.

Which means 980, and even 980 Ti (6GB), shouldn't be considered as long term solutions for 4k gaming.

390X 8GB, or Titan X, are likely the only options worth considering to be safe.

You mentioned that you have interpolation on. Could that be messing with your mouse?

I've just tested it, and no jerkiness. Also, everything looks fantastic! I'm not sure if 4:4:4 is needed if text looks this good. I'm not seeing colored fringes at all on text in the browser.

It's needed. Just tested it across 50 different apps at various text font sizes and types, and there was a massive amount of colored fringes in specific apps (MS Excel: font Calibri, size 10, 80% reduction zoom for example). Small green colored text particularly, in certain fonts (why would font type make a difference? strange eh?) really bad. Black text, a rainbow of flavors in those fonts.

Even white text at default 100% scaled DPI for HardForum clearly shows fringing, albeit it's harder to spot. Quick Brown Fox text still looks like shit, you guys are calling that slight readability increase "amazing"? It's still 50-60% distorted at best versus razor sharp 4:4:4.

Colors as a whole though are much improved over PC as you noted, easy to see the difference. And games of course show no text fringe color distortion, look flawless.

In all, not nearly worth giving up the precision of PC mode for the slight ms increase and color boost. Still more firmware work to do Samsung, get on it.

It's needed. Just tested it across 50 different apps at various text font sizes and types, and there was a massive amount of colored fringes in specific apps (MS Excel: font Calibri, size 10, 80% reduction zoom for example). Small green colored text particularly, in certain fonts (why would font type make a difference? strange eh?) really bad. Black text, a rainbow of flavors in those fonts.

Even white text at default 100% scaled DPI for HardForum clearly shows fringing, albeit it's harder to spot. Quick Brown Fox text still looks like shit, you guys are calling that slight readability increase "amazing"? It's still 50-60% distorted at best versus razor sharp 4:4:4.

Colors as a whole though are much improved over PC as you noted, easy to see the difference. And games of course show no text fringe color distortion, look flawless.

In all, not nearly worth giving up the precision of PC mode for the slight ms increase and color boost. Still more firmware work to do Samsung, get on it.

It's readable now, which was the distinction, never said it looked amazing.

It looks flawless in games. You said it yourself. I'm not sure what Excel, etc. has to do with "gaming mode." The whole point of gaming mode is for gaming, for those who need the low ms. There is no compromise now for those that need it for that purpose. PC mode should be used for everything else.

It looks flawless in games. You said it yourself. I'm not sure what Excel, etc. has to do with "gaming mode." The whole point of gaming mode is for gaming, for those who need the low ms. There is no compromise now for those that need it for that purpose. PC mode should be used for everything else.

*And games of course look flawless...as they already do in PC mode.

I should have added that last bit, basically not worth the port switching, mode switching, etc switching, every time I want to hop into a game for 20 minutes. That's what Excel "has to do with it". Convenience. Game mode is unusable in anything else but games, while PC mode is MORE than fine for games AND desktop...and a lot less trouble.

Hopefully Samsung gives it all to Game Mode as time passes, but if not, no worries, PC mode is absolutely fantastic as it has been from day one.

Just got done testing PC mode with the Leo Bodnar.. 42.6ms on firmware 1207. That is an increase of 6ms from firmware 1206.

Those using pc mode I would not recommend updating to 1207 as it increases lag.

Game mode went down to 20.5ms. Make sure you put game mode on in general settings as after the update it defaults back to off. Some other settings like sharpness etc get put back to default yet backlight stays how you had it before, I am saying this because one guy on here after the update felt his mouse lag and this is why, you have to turn game mode back on under the general settings, with game mode off the lag is 124ms... yikes.

To recap, 1207 firmware gives 4:2:2 in game mode now, it is a very nice improvement with text ( I dont see red fringing anymore on text , yay!) and the chroma test now has the first two and last two lines readable, before it looked like Klingon writting.

Input lag after 1207 firmware:

Game Mode : 20.5ms
PC Mode : 42.6ms

Thanks for the post - interesting about the increase in lag for PC mode.
This threads about to blow past 100 pages - wow.

Just got done testing PC mode with the Leo Bodnar.. 42.6ms on firmware 1207. That is an increase of 6ms from firmware 1206.

Those using pc mode I would not recommend updating to 1207 as it increases lag.

Game mode went down to 20.5ms. Make sure you put game mode on in general settings as after the update it defaults back to off. Some other settings like sharpness etc get put back to default yet backlight stays how you had it before, I am saying this because one guy on here after the update felt his mouse lag and this is why, you have to turn game mode back on under the general settings, with game mode off the lag is 124ms... yikes.

To recap, 1207 firmware gives 4:2:2 in game mode now, it is a very nice improvement with text ( I dont see red fringing anymore on text , yay!) and the chroma test now has the first two and last two lines readable, before it looked like Klingon writting.

Input lag after 1207 firmware:

Game Mode : 20.5ms
PC Mode : 42.6ms

Isn't 6ms within margin of error for that lag tester? I thought that thing doesn't really gives consistent results but more of a ballpark estimate.

Cyph, you were right, I went back and double-checked everything thinking I missed something, and found I had the Titan X accidentally plugged into HDMI 2...which on the 6xxx can't properly do UHD 4:4:4 tests with as you know.

It does look a lot better now that it's doing 60Hz UHD @ 4:2:2, good enough to use full time with the lag drop and color pop. Would be tough to spot the deficiency to 4:4:4 even for a sharp eye.

Isn't 6ms within margin of error for that lag tester? I thought that thing doesn't really gives consistent results but more of a ballpark estimate.

No , I have used the Leo Bodnar on over a dozen displays, it is very consistant, I usually see a difference of no more then half a ms, the lag unfortunately went up 6ms in pc mode. This isnt the first time pc mode has gone up on a samsung, my 65h8000 went from 36ms to 44ms after a firmware update and they never lowered it back down again. This is why I am hesitant to upgrade firmwares. Now that game mode does 4:2:2 and has 20.5ms of lag, I am not updating anymore lol.

Cyph, you were right, I went back and double-checked everything thinking I missed something, and found I had the Titan X accidentally plugged into HDMI 2...which on the 6xxx can't properly do UHD 4:4:4 tests with as you know.

It does look a lot better now that it's doing 60Hz UHD @ 4:2:2, good enough to use full time with the lag drop and color pop. Would be tough to spot the deficiency to 4:4:4 even for a sharp eye.

Is hdmi 2 on the 6 series labeled dvi on the tv?

Glad you figured it out, I feel overall that you can now use game mode for web surfing because the text doesnt have color fringing anymore and looks alot clearer.

Well like somebody else mentioned GTX 980 SLI has less VRAM then TX, and is a dual card where as TX is single, so you won't have to put up with SLI issues etc. But GTX 980 SLI is currently faster than a TX.

But add a second TX and it leaves the 980 SLI for dead, even 3x GTX 980 cant beat it.

So it really depends, when comparing 1 card Vs 2 cards.

Well like somebody else mentioned GTX 980 SLI has less VRAM then TX, and is a dual card where as TX is single, so you won't have to put up with SLI issues etc. But GTX 980 SLI is currently faster than a TX.

But add a second TX and it leaves the 980 SLI for dead, even 3x GTX 980 cant beat it.

So it really depends, when comparing 1 card Vs 2 cards.

At 4K, I've seen the Titan X beat out 980 SLI or yield more consistent frame rates.
I have one 980, and will not SLI them. I'm waiting for the 390X 8GB CF or I'll buy a Titan X.

2 980tis for me...

I hear those will have 6gb, I have one Titan X and have tried the games listed below and all hit 60fps and didnt dip below at 4k native resolution, I dont use AA as it looks perfect to me.

Crysis 3 - only game I cant get running at a perfect 60 fps at max settings 40 -60 fps

nfs most wanted and rivals

mk x

battlefield 4

Titanfall - dips sometimes to low 50's

assassins creed 4

usf4

The Titan X is a beast of a card and can easily handle 4k games at 60fps.

I need to use at least 2x AA - always have.
Even at 4K on a 40", there's jaggies galore and it kills my immersion. Single Titan X won't do that, or else I'd already have one.

I need to use at least 2x AA - always have.
Even at 4K on a 40", there's jaggies galore and it kills my immersion. Single Titan X won't do that, or else I'd already have one.

You see jaggies since 40"@4K is not particular beast regarding resolution, it's resolution is the same as in the 27"@1440p. I have such 27" and I have 32"@4K and there is significant resolution difference between them.

Well if you have to play 4k and use AA then yes one Titan X wont cut it, thankfully I dont see the need for AA at 4k, using the 48ju7500 at 36 inches from me.

I'm using 2xAA and 4xAA on all my games at 4k on the 48" JU6700. I've tried no AA and can't stand it.

I'm using 2xAA and 4xAA on all my games at 4k on the 48" JU6700. I've tried no AA and can't stand it.

With no AA and your sli Titan X's, I bet no game would dip below 60 at 4k... how is sli working for you? I may go that route at somepoint. I heard sli adds a frame of lag and sometimes stuttering, you see any of this on your setup?

I've ran SLi with great luck for as long as I can remember. As long as you're not using low-end cards, I think the stuttering stuff isn't a concern. I've ran into 1 driver issue that I can remember and it was fixed by NV within a week. Texture flashing on Crysis 3 I think...

But yeah, AA is a must if you care about what you're looking at.

The JU7500s are pretty much gaming beasts for the size. Now that Game mode has 4:2:2 support, it's ~20ms with very little blur.

I 100 % agree on this!!

I guess sli isnt a bad option anymore. Can I set profiles so only certain games use sli? Most games I have dont need it.

With no AA and your sli Titan X's, I bet no game would dip below 60 at 4k... how is sli working for you? I may go that route at somepoint. I heard sli adds a frame of lag and sometimes stuttering, you see any of this on your setup?

I've run SLI back in the original VooDoo 2 days and afterwards when it became available on the 6800GT's. I haven't ever experienced microstutter on an SLI configuration. I'm pretty sure SLI doesn't add a frame of lag. I've never heard that before. Given the massive frame rate increases that doesn't make sense. If your referring to input lag then rest assured SLI doesn't add anymore to the system.

I 100 % agree on this!!

I guess sli isnt a bad option anymore. Can I set profiles so only certain games use sli? Most games I have dont need it.

SLI hasn't been a bad option since the beginning. It hasn't always scaled perfectly and scaling past two cards is problematic. And there have been issues with specific games but you can always disable it under those circumstances and SLI profiles are fully configurable by the user. There is rarely a need to do anything unless you want to force additional quality settings in the control panel for specific games. Whether a game needs SLI or not, there isn't any reason to turn it off. More performance isn't a bad thing. If your game is already running at 100FPS, you can add additional quality settings into the mix if you've got performance to spare.

So yes, you can disable SLI in certain games but there is no reason to do so. SLI was worth while back in the 6800Ultra/GT days and the major issues have been worked out as early as the GeForce 7800GTX 512MB days.

My Samsung return went well, I have to give cred to the store for solving it so fast, they received it today and 1 hour after that i got message that my order is canceled.

Now I just have to find a non PWM 2015 4K TV. Anyone knows any?

My Samsung return went well, I have to give cred to the store for solving it so fast, they received it today and 1 hour after that i got message that my order is canceled.

Now I just have to find a non PWM 2015 4K TV. Anyone knows any?

If you find one, let me know. I think 2016 will be the year of serious large 4K monitor contenders and we'll start to see PWM-free or at least high-freq PWM options.
They'll be real pricey at first though.

I feel sad for you guys. Sorry this PWM, whatever it is, didn't work out. The thread will miss you guys ...............................................

I'm staying for now. I can deal with the 7500 on 20 backlight most days... I can't give up 40" of 4K...

I think AA is another of those that's different strokes... I have no issue with no AA, and prefer the sharpness increase versus AA that makes everything else soft. Then again, I have no issue with 1080P gaming had I not seen 4K so my tolerance for edges is pretty high.

I think AA is another of those that's different strokes... I have no issue with no AA, and prefer the sharpness increase versus AA that makes everything else soft. Then again, I have no issue with 1080P gaming had I not seen 4K so my tolerance for edges is pretty high.

I do agree, some prefer AA, I prefer AA at 1080p though but at 4k... its just right without AA for me.

Really enjoying this display for 4k gaming... I really cant ask for more :)

Anyone that has original stand for the 48ju750p they want to sell please shoot me a pm, thank you!

Back