New rig - setting up ASUS P8P67 Pro (bios/cmos?)

Edge2500K

n00b
Ok so I'm new on the scene of tinkering with bios/cmos ocing etc. Almost finished rounding up all my parts and building my rig. Firing it up in a day or 2 and I wanna do it right.

Now IDK much about a CMOS.. From what I can tell you remove a battery or something about a jumper, prolly cuts the power and lets it refresh I think? Sounds like some sort of settings memory.

Bios flashing is a little more common to me, though I'm unfamiliar with the new asus p8p67 pro eufi bios or w/e. Anywho...

Here's what I need some help with.... When I fire up my rig, go into bios, adjust a few major things, then proceed to install windows 7... After I'm done with that how should I go about installing the proper bios version and making everything clean and fresh and ready to go?

Before I proceed to setting up my 6950's and flashing their shaders to 6970 and such. :>

edit: Also, what's the best most stable and up to date bios version for ASUS P8P67 Pro? The one that I would install in 2 days from now. 05/03/2011.

Last edited:
These days, motherboards come with software that allows you to update the BIOS from within Windows. Yours is called Asus Update. Instructions are on page 3-30 of the manual. You can download the manual from their website if it's not handy.

If you can't find that software anywhere in Windows, check the CD that came with the motherboard.

As for which BIOS to choose, I can't say, since I don't use that board.

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated. I still have the manual/software etc, just wanted to make sure about the best way to go about this.

Oh, in case anyone was curious or needed the info:

case: silverstone ft02b (non windowed)
psu: corsair ax750
mobo: asus p8p67 pro
cpu: i7-2600k
cpu hsf: cm hyper 212+
ram: g.skill ripjaws x 8gb (2x4gb) ddr3 1600 8-8-8-24 1.5v
ssd1: 64gb adata flash / 2nd gen sandforce controller, (Micro Center brand)
ssd2: intel x25-m 120gb
gpu: msi r6950 2gb reference (x2 xfire)
optical: samsung sh-222ab (dvd+-rw)
storage hdd: samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
sound card: undecided

Last edited:
If it is a relatively new purchase, the board may come pre-loaded with 1502. My new P8P67 Pro came with 1502 and I haven't had any issues with it to speak of at the moment (used to suffer from the random lock ups that would power off USB devices - been up for almost 7 days now without issues).

You may not need to touch the BIOS revision unless you are having issues. At which point, I would try a RTC Clear via the jumper and then if that doesn't help, look for another BIOS. Also, make sure you set your memory timing/speed/voltage correctly as that seems to be the root of most evil on these boards.

That said, if at any time you do wish to update the BIOS, do it through the UEFI itself. There's an easy to use utility in Advanced Mode under Tool called "ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility". Its extremely straight forward and allows you to use any medium you choose (USB stick, harddrive, dvd/cd). Also, remember when updating the BIOS to allow the system to boot completely before shutting it down and doing any tweaks afterward.

I made the mistake of flashing a new BIOS without allowing the system to completely boot after the flash then cleared the CMOS with the RTC jumper. The computer refused to POST and I had to RMA the board.

As skizzled alluded to, if you can avoid using the windows bios updater in favor of the in-bios tool, that's usually preferable. Not tha the windows tool won't work, just that most of us tend to agree you have a higher likelihood of issues. And the new built in bios tool is significantly easier than the older traditional approach of needing a separate bootable disk.

NEVER UPDATE YOUR BIOS IN WINDOWS!!!

ive have already been burned by asus's windows bios update tool. burn it to a cd or use a flash drive and update in the bios.

Back