New PC won't post

xvioz

Weaksauce
Mmmkay so I put it all together today, plugged it in and all the fans (including HSFand the fan on the video card) are spinning and the LED on the mobo is on. I get no beeps and nothing shows up on my monitor.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my first time building one myself so I'm sweating bullets lol. I follow the manuals as close as I could.

Thanks.

Possibly a bad mobo or video card, but before you jump to conclusions...

1. Unplug everything you don't need (extra fans, hard drives, optical drives) and see if you can get it to post. Your psu may be insufficient.
2. Try a different video card if you have one

It would really help if you listed the complete specs of the system.

Specs = Q6600, Asus P5K, OCZ Gold XTC (4x1GB), WD 250 GB SATA2 HD, Samsung SATA DVR Writer, Corsair 620HX and a BFG 8800GT OC.

I think the video card works because when I plug the DVI to VGA connector into it and plug the monitor into that the floating box on the monitor that says "MONITOR IS WORKING, CHECK SIGNAL CABLE" disappears.

I think the PSU works because the fans kick on fine and the mobo lights up.

Hard drive and optical drives are fine because I tried them in another PC.

I tried different configs of the memory ( 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks and 4).

I read something about restting CMOS jumpers or something, apparently it's common but I don't know what to set them to and/or if they're wrong. The mobo manual is totally useless for it lol. Another thing is that the voltage of the memory might have to be switched in the BIOS... but I can't get in.

there is usually a set of 3 pins with a jumper on pins 1 & 2. unplug the pc and move the jumper to pins 2 & 3, and then wait a few mins. move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2, then power up and see if it works.

Specs = Q6600, Asus P5K, OCZ Gold XTC (4x1GB), WD 250 GB SATA2 HD, Samsung SATA DVR Writer, Corsair 620HX and a BFG 8800GT OC.

I think the video card works because when I plug the DVI to VGA connector into it and plug the monitor into that the floating box on the monitor that says "MONITOR IS WORKING, CHECK SIGNAL CABLE" disappears.

That doesn't prove that your video card works it proves that it is sending out some kind of signal to the monitor.
If the CMOS clear doesn't work do like I said and unplug everything you don't need and try to boot. Also take out all the memory except for one stick.

Sounds to me that there might be a connection issue with your motherboard, or maybe a DOA video card, also, like another poser said, reset your CMOS.

Ok I tried resetting the CMOS and unhooking all the stuff I don't need, still no beeps or visual.

I'm gonna take it to a small local repair store and see if they can figure it out.

On a side note, I noticed I didn't bend the metal edges on the I/O panel inwards, does that make a difference?

Thanks for the help.

On a side note, I noticed I didn't bend the metal edges on the I/O panel inwards, does that make a difference?

Huh?

You shouldn't need to bend anything. Maybe just the small IO shield grounding "fingers" that are meant to touch the top of the small tin boxes on the mobo that house the PS/2 & USB connectors as you slide the mobo into place.

The IO shield pops into place from the inside of the case. It may take firm pressure, but no bending should be required.

Take a look here:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYMB_3.htm

After that, follow through the rest of the step illustrations and see if everything looks ok.

One of the biggest mistakes first-timers make is regarding the mobo stand-offs. Either not using them at all or else leaving one under the mobo that doesn't match up with a mounting hole. The mobo should only be physically grounded to the case at the mounting holes. Any other part of the bottom of the mobo touching ground is BAD.

Dude from the local store phoned today.

So it turns out the only thing I did wrong was the I/O panel lol the little tabs were going into the ports shorting out the mobo I guess. Apparently it could have fried it so they tested it and all the parts seperately in another machine and everything is working perfectly! Going to pick it up tomorrow... wow did I get lucky lol.

Thanks for the help guys!

Cool, I'm glad the people at the shop were nice about it, keep using them.

Back