New PC Power and Cooling Units...Now with 140mm Fans!

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ces-2010-ssd,2531-2.html

pcpowermythsbusted.jpg

Oh yeah, I was tempted to make a forum thread on this but was too lazy to do it.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll manage their FUD.

I wonder if these will still be made by Seasonic. I also wonder what nonsense PCP&C is going to use to explain away their switch to 120mm fans.

I wonder if these will still be made by Seasonic. I also wonder what nonsense PCP&C is going to use to explain away their switch to 120mm fans.

According to the description...140mm fan

Their myths page only tells of the folly of using a 120mm fan...so they are ok :rolleyes:

Well the last Seasonic review [H] did was a DC to DC unit and had far less "stuff" inside the unit, maybe that's what's allowing them to use the top (or bottom) mounted fans.

Well the last Seasonic review [H] did was a DC to DC unit and had far less "stuff" inside the unit, maybe that's what's allowing them to use the top (or bottom) mounted fans.
No, I think they were able to free up some room by getting their big heads out of the PSUs.

There were only two things that were bigger with the PC P&C Seasonic builds over the Seasonic builds for other customers.

The egos of PC P&C...and possibly the owners of their PSUs
and
The heatsinks.

Didn't PC P&C claim that 80mm fan was superior to all others due to small form factor allowing taller/bigger caps etc to be put into the PSu?

I hope these new PC Power and Cooling PSUs work as well as the old ones did. One thing the old silencers were was reliable, it was not silent. A 140mm fan will fix that.

Lmao. They finally had to succumb. I guess they'll come up with some convenient excuse for their choice too.

Make all the fun you want of PCP&C. I've used em for years and never had one go tits up on me. Other PSU makers units however ....... is a whole other story.:mad:

That said, if my current one ever goes, which I doubt I would like to try a Corsair unit someday.

New Silencer is made by Sirtec (High Power)
A 80Plus Silver version of OCZ Z series
PC power & cooling position below OCZ now

They still list 'ultra quiet' as a feature with their 80 mm PSUs, though :) Even though it makes enough noise at 80% load to rival a leaf blower :p

I never thought I'd see this day, though.

Well I hope this is an isolated incident, but I just have a 370watt PCPC go out on me after a month of use and it wasn't even heavly loaded. Single P4 based file server with to hard drives. I realize even the best brands have bad seeds so I'm not going to read more into it than a fluke right now. I have 4 more of these PSU's in use out there so we'll see how the rest hold up.

Antec managed to get quiet PSU's using 80mm fans by allowing them to overheat. They focused more on silence than actually having an adequate enough fan to cool them. At least this was my experience a couple years ago. Maybe they've gotten better?

Antec managed to get quiet PSU's using 80mm fans by allowing them to overheat. They focused more on silence than actually having an adequate enough fan to cool them. At least this was my experience a couple years ago. Maybe they've gotten better?

if you connect the fan control lead to something external from the PSU you can more or less dodge this in my experience

otherwise yeah, it just sits there and gets hot

also got a good laugh out of the thread, honestly I like my PC Power & Cooling PSU, but I doubt I'd buy another one, given where they've gone with the whole OCZ thing (they just wanted the name, and have basically killed off any unique/quality engineering that was originally there, no point to pay extra for that), and yeah, I always thought their whole "80mm only" claim was a bit wonky (although I've never noticed my unit as noisy, but I have read the reviews of the 910W and have to say: shame)

Didn't PC P&C claim that 80mm fan was superior to all others due to small form factor allowing taller/bigger caps etc to be put into the PSu?

They claimed it...but then the same capacitors were used in their Silencer series as in most other PSUs Seasonic built...even with 120mm fans

have basically killed off any unique/quality engineering that was originally there

What has OCZ buying PC P&C got to do with engineering and quality?

The same two companies have been designing and making PC P&C units before and after OCZ bought them. At least until now, we will have to see the OEM for this new PSU.

I guess my Antec Neo 550 Watter (Seasonic) with the 80mm fan is A-OK! It's quiet as hell! Love my tiny PSU!
Mine wasn't too quiet when I was running my overclocked Q9550 and 4870 off of it.
and have basically killed off any unique/quality engineering that was originally there
If you call the ability to pick off-the-shelf Win-tact and Seasonic PSUs and brand them under your name "unique/quality engineering", then PCP&C always had a lot of that. But then that would mean you have a very strange definition of engineering, and it's certainly not the one that I go by.

Electronic components gave gotten a lot smaller and more efficient since space needed to be saved by using a 80mm fan. (actually it happened before everyone started using 120mm fans)

so read that as " we are too lazy to change it, the Bentley and Indoor swimming pool are just too comfy!"

Electronic components gave gotten a lot smaller and more efficient since space needed to be saved by using a 80mm fan.

Would be good if the argument was true today, but that hasn't been the case for literally years. And even years ago, the at argument was still not entirely, or even very, valid in consumer SMPS.

Would be good if the argument was true today, but that hasn't been the case for literally years. And even years ago, the at argument was still not entirely, or even very, valid in consumer SMPS.

every month new electronic components come out from National, Ti, Maxim and so on designed specifically for power supplies. reducing chipcount or external components, and size. increasing efficiency, happening all the time.

If you call the ability to pick off-the-shelf Win-tact and Seasonic PSUs and brand them under your name "unique/quality engineering", then PCP&C always had a lot of that. But then that would mean you have a very strange definition of engineering, and it's certainly not the one that I go by.

I don't mean the last year or two, and perhaps engineering was the wrong term, I mean years and years ago, when they (to quote an [H] review) "established their reputation for quality and performance", there was a time where they really did stand apart from the average Antec or Enermax

recently, only because they refused to get with the times and put proper sized fans on their PSUs, among other things

today, this new PCP&C is basically 1:1 the same OEM unit I can go buy from any other manufacturer, they've basically killed whatever made them "special" in the first place (well, that, and other brands/manufacturers have realized that if you sell a quality product, people tend to want to buy it), it used to be that you paid for the name, accepted it was overpriced, but got a quality unit, now they're asking you to pay for the name, accept that its still overpriced, and then kick yourself when you realize you could've had the same thing for half the money (or so) with a different sticker

thats basically the observation I'm making, it isn't directly attached to the new 950W, but that just seems like the poster-child for that transition

every month new electronic components come out from National, Ti, Maxim and so on designed specifically for power supplies. reducing chipcount or external components, and size. increasing efficiency, happening all the time.

And absolutely none of those changes has meant that only now would an overhead fan work. In fact, all the necessary components to make an overhead fan design have been available since the very beginning of the ATX specification but due to the PSU fan serving as an exhaust role in addition to cooling the PSU when the spec came about the high speed 80mm dominated.

PC Power and Cooling's marketing pages have only existed because that is what they make, not because of the truth.

Back