New PC part list

NtS Kamer

Gawd
I'm planning to build new computer soon and this is a part list I have thrown together so far. A few question I have 1.Will the psu be enough for what I have and maybe another hard drive. 2 Whats the difference between Windows 7 Ultimate system builders and the retail there is a huge price difference..just the pretty box? My last build AMD FX-60 dual core @2.61 2GB ram 2-7800gtx

Part list how does it look?

CPU: Intel i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W

MB: Intel BOXDP55KG LGA 1156 Intel P55

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit

Video Card: XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit

Hard Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive: Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Case: Lian-Li PC-60 (old case)

1. Yes.
2. As I understand it, lack of free tech support is the main difference.

Everything looks just fine to me. I only wonder how you decided on the Intel motherboard and the Kingston memory modules. Have you had good past experiences with those manufacturers? The motherboard in particular seems a little on the expensive side for what you get. Had you considered either of these?

104.99 4GB G.SKILL Trident DDR3-1600

184.99 GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard

Last edited:
I didn't really know of any motherboards for the cpu so I figured the intel board would for sure work,and the ram was on supported list for the board. I see the MSI board has [H] gold award and is cheaper with the money saved it can go for a new mouse. Thanks for the help!

The GA-P55A-UD4P is a good board, but switch the RAM to a cheaper kit:

$94 - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL9 kit

The Ripjaws kit also runs at 1.5V, which is important if you ever decide to overclock the processor. There's no noticeable performance difference between CL8 and CL9 memory.

The retail version of Windows 7 can be transferred from computer to computer provided that the license key is only activated on one computer at a time. (All other traces from older systems must be removed beforehand.) The OEM version of Windows 7 is limited to the first system that you activate the license key on, and it "dies" when the system dies. But do you really need all of the features of Windows 7 Ultimate? I ask because Windows 7 Ultimate (compared to Windows 7 Home Premium) has BitLocker drive encryption, Remote Desktop access, Windows XP Mode, and support for 35 additional languages. You can replicate the BitLocker and Windows XP Mode features using freeware programs, and not everyone needs Remote Desktop access or support for 35 different languages. You can save yourself some money by going with an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium instead, provided that you have no need for Window 7 Ultimate's advance features.

I didn't really know of any motherboards for the cpu so I figured the intel board would for sure work,and the ram was on supported list for the board. I see the MSI board has [H] gold award and is cheaper with the money saved it can go for a new mouse. Thanks for the help!
Glad to. ;)

You'll note I changed my mind on the motherboard suggestion, but both boards are great (and the MSI board is [H] approved). It appears as though there has been a small spell of DOA's on Newegg, which is why I changed my recommendation. I'm sure they have worked out whatever the issue may have been, tho. RE: the RAM, tiraides is a much more experienced computer builder than me, and his recommendation is a great one, of course. Those Ripjaws kits are oft-touted around here, but I just really dislike the look of them! :D

To each his own, I guess, and you will be saving $10.

Last edited:
Back