New (open box) 7900 XTX issues - spontaneous reboots - need help

They dumped it outside without the required signature. When UPS does stuff like that I’m always tempted to say I never received it.

I've had guns dropped off without a signature or forged signatures...

Okay
Card installed- I definitely need a new PSU (at least a new fan), the fan is so loud I guess I never noticed it before because the rest of my case fans were 10yrs old and shit. I cleaned it off as I best I could and it didn't seem to matter. I also discovered I have a short in my displayport cable, and this is a really good braided-sleeved one- so go figure.

Card seems to be stable at the moment. It's been stable long enough for me to register Starfield so that was the biggest hurdle so far.
Yeah the 1300 G2 was really loud comparatively to most PSUs I owned. The RMA replacement 1300GT is whisper quiet in comparison.

Okay

Yeah the 1300 G2 was really loud comparatively to most PSUs I owned. The RMA replacement 1300GT is whisper quiet in comparison.

Really loud buzzing noise- driving me nuts- I thought it was my new Arctic Cool P12 case fans but when my case was open I put my ear up to everything- definitely my PSU. I guess I have a justifiable reason to RMA the PSU now- although at this point if I do who knows what I'll get back in exchange and if EVGA will even be around long enough to complete it.

I ran the auto- undervolt function of the Adrenalin software and it worked. Then I stress tested it for a few minutes with no crashes. Seems ok. Runs a little hot but that's to be expected I guess.

I will say this about ASRock- they're cheap. They don't even include a single ARGB cable. WTF. I'm paying $800 for this thing the least they could do is include that. Just the card, that's it. And ASRock makes it almost impossible to find their Polychrome RGB software.

Found the latest version of the Polychrome software, it updated my card's firmware. I have to say I'm impressed- It's very minimal but functional. I have nothing else RGB in my machine, but this works well.

Last edited:
Really loud buzzing noise- driving me nuts- I thought it was my new Arctic Cool P12 case fans but when my case was open I put my ear up to everything- definitely my PSU. I guess I have a justifiable reason to RMA the PSU now- although at this point if I do who knows what I'll get back in exchange and if EVGA will even be around long enough to complete it.

I will say this about ASRock- they're cheap. They don't even include a single ARGB cable. WTF. I'm paying $800 for this thing the least they could do is include that. Just the card, that's it. And ASRock makes it almost impossible to find their Polychrome RGB software.
1. Happy for your working GPU. Do you plan to replace / RMA the PSU soon or just plan to use it?
Honestly if it's already 10+ years old, then that's the first thing I would replace when I get the flagship GPU.

2. ASRock "looks" cheap. It's the design though, almost all their mainstream to low-end stuff appears cheapish but their component selection is good if not great. I have used their rx 6600 challenger card and it's looks cheap yet the highest temp it reached was still under 60c with max fan speed of 45%, compared to my current Sapphire pulse which can reach 75c on 60% fan speed.

I ran the auto- undervolt function of the Adrenalin software and it worked. Then I stress tested it for a few minutes with no crashes. Seems ok. Runs a little hot but that's to be expected I guess.

Found the latest version of the Polychrome software, it updated my card's firmware. I have to say I'm impressed- It's very minimal but functional. I have nothing else RGB in my machine, but this works well.

What did you go with for voltage? My Powercolor card came with an out of the box voltage of 1150mv, but I have it running just fine at 1075mv. My Sapphire card that was crashing all the time was stock at 1175mv and wouldn't even go down 5mv without locking up the driver instantly.

1.075 seems to be the sweet spot for most RDNA3 chips on average for decent clocks. 1.095 is where my XFX peaks for core speed any more is just added heat output and does nothing to further core speed.

1.075 seems to be the sweet spot for most RDNA3 chips on average for decent clocks. 1.095 is where my XFX peaks for core speed any more is just added heat output and does nothing to further core speed.
I haven’t really dug too deeply into it yet, I just allowed the Adrenaline control panel to auto-under volt. I need to really start digging into things, under volting my motherboard and card. There are so many settings compared to my 5820k it’s a bit bewildering.

My PSU is about 8yrs old now, I would RMA it because of the fan noise with EVGA but they’re a lost cause at this point- I don’t know if it’s really worth it. I have no idea what I’d get and it seems they won’t be around for long at this point to cover whatever they send me anyways.

Maybe I’ll just start saving for a newer Seasonic 1200 ATX 3.0 PSU or something.

Well, I’m fooling around with some undervolting on my motherboard and new GPU and am getting some spontaneous reboots so it looks like a new PSU is in my future. At this point I might as well get a ATX 3.0 PSU.

Any suggestions?

Well, I’m fooling around with some undervolting on my motherboard and new GPU and am getting some spontaneous reboots so it looks like a new PSU is in my future. At this point I might as well get a ATX 3.0 PSU.

Any suggestions?
You can try Seasonic Vertex, FSP Hydro G Pro (the cheapest one, has good review), etc.
You can search here and find the one that suits you (be it street price of store nearby you, wattage, warranty, etc.):

https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atx-v3-0-pcie-5-0-ready-psus-picks-2023-hardware-busters/4/

You can try Seasonic Vertex, FSP Hydro G Pro (the cheapest one, has good review), etc.
You can search here and find the one that suits you (be it street price of store nearby you, wattage, warranty, etc.):

https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atx-v3-0-pcie-5-0-ready-psus-picks-2023-hardware-busters/4/
I was looking at 1000 Shift. I think a 1000w PSU would be a good choice being that I no longer have my setup loaded down with SATA or optical drives. That should last me a good while through various upgrades. The shift should fit in my 5000D Airflow.

I’ll have to look around a bit.

Last edited:
I have a shift 800 and it's great. Small micro connectors and they face the side so super easy to plug/unplug stuff in. Really good stuff.

https://hwbusters.com/psus/vetroo-1000w-atx-v3-0-psu-review/

Vetroo GV1000 got an excellent review (about as good as the Shift) and is only $110 on eBay. Plus it works with my EVGA extensions so I can keep using those. I think I’ll give it a shot.

I’m glad I looked specifically at this unit because the HWBusters guy didn’t update his “best PSUs” chart to include this one even though he says he will add it in the review.

Last edited:
Damnit. I got the PSU and I’m short a port/cable. While the 7900xtx has 3 PCIe 8pin ports, the PSU also only has 3. I am currently using a 4th one for my motherboard’s 6pin 12v port ( there are two other 8pin ones).

Can I run the 7900xtx using one cable that is 6x2+6x2 rather than separate 8pin cables for all 3?

Also, is there such a thing as ATX 3.0 to 8pin adapters? If so would I be better off with those?

I'd say two PCIe power cables to 7900xtx is fine, but how much power does the 6pin 12V take? If it something less than 100w than probably feed it using a 4pin Molex to 6pin adapter.

Damnit. I got the PSU and I’m short a port/cable. While the 7900xtx has 3 PCIe 8pin ports, the PSU also only has 3. I am currently using a 4th one for my motherboard’s 6pin 12v port ( there are two other 8pin ones).

Can I run the 7900xtx using one cable that is 6x2+6x2 rather than separate 8pin cables for all 3?

Also, is there such a thing as ATX 3.0 to 8pin adapters? If so would I be better off with those?

What? Do you have one of those boards with supplimental PCI-E for like LN2 overclocking? Its not like you need to use that unless you're planning to put 600W at sub zero temps.

I'd say two PCIe power cables to 7900xtx is fine, but how much power does the 6pin 12V take? If it something less than 100w than probably feed it using a 4pin Molex to 6pin adapter.
The manual says:

“The PD_12V_PWR connector provides additional power for your PCIe X16 slots. To support 60W, please install the power cable to the 6-pin PCIe Graphics Card connector (PD_12V_PWR) else only 27W will be supported.”

I have an ASUS Creator x670e Proart. I think the 6pin input has something to do with TB4 support on this board. They don’t word it clearly.

Sounds optional to me (motherboard falls back to 27w if nothing connected) so can get by not pluggin into PD_12V_PWR for now. Until you get a Molex to 6 pin adapter or have one lying around, I'm assuming new PSU still has one molex cable. Use the PCIe cable for 7900XTX so have 3 dedicated PCIe power cables.

EDIT: If it's for TB4, then you should know if you need 60w power delivery(assuming it's for PD based on PD_12V_PWR label lol) or can live without for now.

Last edited:
Sounds optional to me (motherboard falls back to 27w if nothing connected) so can get by not pluggin into PD_12V_PWR for now. Until you get a Molex to 6 pin adapter or have one lying around, I'm assuming new PSU still has one molex cable. Use the PCIe cable for 7900XTX so have 3 dedicated PCIe power cables.

EDIT: If it's for TB4, then you should know if you need 60w power delivery(assuming it's for PD based on PD_12V_PWR label lol) or can live without for now.

Someone at ASUS cleared it up for me-

Basically this is supposed to add 60w support to the front USB ports so I don’t need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eymar
like this
The Vetroo is a nice PSU for $110. Apparently they use Andyson for their OEM and it uses EVGA pin-outs so it's easy to find higher quality cables. Fan is relatively quiet although I can kind of hear the bearings in the fan definitely much quieter than my EVGA 1300 G2. Haven't used it enough to know if there will be any coil-whine. I also used their tech support and they got back to me right away and were very helpful.

One thing I did notice is my GPU is sagging- a lot. Any suggestions for a brace? I tried one of those cheap extendable ones on Amazon but it wasn't adequate for my case (Airflow 5000D). The card is kind of low to the bottom of the plastic sheath that covers the PSU.

Pretty happy with my new build so far- now I just have to get it stable so it doesn't crash while I undervolt both the CPU/GPU.

Last edited:
The Vetroo is a nice PSU for $110. Apparently they use Andyson for their OEM and it uses EVGA pin-outs so it's easy to find higher quality cables. Fan is relatively quiet although I can kind of hear the bearings in the fan definitely much quieter than my EVGA 1300 G2. Haven't used it enough to know if there will be any coil-whine.

One thing I did notice is my GPU is sagging- a lot. Any suggestions for a brace? I tried one of those cheap extendable ones on Amazon but it wasn't adequate for my case (Airflow 5000D). The card is kind of low to the bottom of the plastic sheath that covers the PSU.

Pretty happy with my new build so far- now I just have to get it stable so it doesn't crash while I undervolt both the CPU/GPU.
I'm surprised the card didn't come with one, my 6800 XT had a big ugly chin but in worked. Glad to hear everything is working.

I'm about ready to send my second one back and give up on the 7900 series, the coil whine has gotten worse to where I can't stand to play games. Its so loud. I tried to upload a video but youtube processed the sound right out of it I guess thinking it was background noise.

Bear in mind, this is also underclocked, undervolted, and on "silent" bios which drops the power target and clock speeds.

I'm about ready to send my second one back and give up on the 7900 series, the coil whine has gotten worse to where I can't stand to play games. Its so loud. I tried to upload a video but youtube processed the sound right out of it I guess thinking it was background noise.

Bear in mind, this is also underclocked, undervolted, and on "silent" bios which drops the power target and clock speeds.

I haven’t used mine much but at the stock settings the fan is pretty loud- much louder than my 2080ti. I will need to fool around with the settings a bit. This is the card I have though. I realize the thing is a beast and uses 3 fans so it’s not going to be the quietest thing the the world.

Yes, the Asrock 7900xtx Eagle just came with the card, nothing else.

Any card I've owned has had coil whine, nvidia or amd. 7900 XTX has it as well. But it's not all the time, when exactly is it whining l Ioudly? When I'm playing a game its generally pretty quiet aside from some fan noise. Menus when the framerate isn't limited it whines loudly. I'm running a reference card so my experience should be worse than yours.

Any card I've owned has had coil whine, nvidia or amd. 7900 XTX has it as well. But it's not all the time, when exactly is it whining l Ioudly? When I'm playing a game its generally pretty quiet aside from some fan noise. Menus when the framerate isn't limited it whines loudly. I'm running a reference card so my experience should be worse than yours.

I've owned literally hundreds of video cards, and I have never heard one this loud. This thing is nuts. The card runs super cool and quiet as far as fan noise, its like 20C cooler than the Sapphire card I had originally. But the whining, I can hear it over my headphones with the A/C on in the window right behind me clear as day. Its LOUD. I have Radeon Chill on and set to 120fps while my monitor is 165hz, if I let it run full speed I think my neighbor can hear it.

2080Ti was pretty loud when running full tilt. I haven't really run anything too demanding yet, basically I'm still fooling around with it. I was playing Tchia before and it crashed- although I think that was more of an issue with the game than anything. Damn, that game has horrible compilation stutter (UE4 of course). Had I had known I would never have purchased it. Unacceptable.

I have the same card. Very minimal coil whine. Also had the Hellhound 7900xt and it was quiet too.

Well now you guys have convinced me I should run a benchmark or two and see (hear) what happens, :D

Well now you guys have convinced me I should run a benchmark or two and see (hear) what happens, :D

I don’t think mine is a typical example, the first card had none unless you let it run away at 1000fps where any card will whine. Its just I’m $2000 into these things and I don’t think I want to try again.

What cards are you guys using? I try to read whatever comes up on the 7900 XTX cards - Sapphire Pulse - either quiet/ or coil whine - no in between, Asrock PG - pcb like Taichi apparently - but no rgb - others claim it's crap - sometimes, there's coil whine or really hot temps. Mixed reviews. Powercolor - Hellhound or Red Devil - often have coil whine (so many complaints, I'm staying away). Asus Tuf 7900 xtx - no clue - haven't read hardly any reviews because there aren't many. There's coil wine complaints with the Nvidia versions.
Nitro+ (see Pulse comments: the main difference is that there's more OC headroom - some assertions that it's quieter.) XFX - loud - staying away.

The MSI Gaming Trio Classic (weird name) - lots of + reviews - a few complaints of coil wine - again. However, this series seems to have the least complaints of coil whine. However, the power limit is the lowest in the entire 7900 xtx series. Gigabyte OC - need more info. I am wondering about the '2 8pin' which is the same as the reference/MBA card, right? Other AIB cards are 3 x 8pin.' I suppose that means - there's way less overclock options? I would undervolt/underclock anyway - these cards run hot and are higher power consumption.

I'm comparing to 4080s.

Sorry for the interuption. This thread is confirming - that I should consider any cards - that have local PC store options - for easy return? There's some online vendors that have a better price sometimes - but, I don't want to run the risk of getting a 'faulty' card.

EDIT: nevermind, I got lucky and it was quiet for 10 minutes and picked right back up again. Oh well.

Last edited:
Hah. My Port Royale score on my first run through (with an easy overclock) was 18,376 compared to 8643 with my previous 2080ti/5820k build. I'm ranked <100 (18427) of the top score with a similar build. I should easily top that. This is all on air, no AIO/water whatsoever. :)

Now I start to tweak. Overclocking/undervolting is very different on AMD cards as compared to Nvidia.

It's mindboggling how much tweaking you can do as compared with my 5820k setup from approx a decade ago. The amount of settings in the bios in particular can be bewildering. I am undervolting my CPU as well- I'm not sure how stable everything is at this point.

Last edited:
Hah. My Port Royale score on my first run through (with an easy overclock) was 18,376 compared to 8643 with my previous 2080ti/5820k build. I'm ranked <100 (18427) of the top score with a similar build. I should easily top that. This is all on air, no AIO/water whatsoever. :)

Now I start to tweak. Overclocking/undervolting is very different on AMD cards as compared to Nvidia.

It's mindboggling how much tweaking you can do as compared with my 5820k setup from approx a decade ago. The amount of settings in the bios in particular can be bewildering. I am undervolting my CPU as well- I'm not sure how stable everything is at this point.
Different, how?

Back