New Nvidia Driver: 442.19

Did clean install and I still had control panel, that was the driver just before this one. Anyways wtf? Will the control panel load, update when needed or does one have to update it manually?

I notice sometimes Geforce Experience uses my Google account to log in, other times Nvidia account, WTF? Must my information be spread to Google as well and the wall of advertising that follows in browsers? I don't like my looking at stuff then follow me around everywhere I go like a second shadow.

Nvidia needs to get their crap together, take care of their customers and not try to take everything they can from them. Money, information etc.

Did clean install and I still had control panel, that was the driver just before this one. Anyways wtf? Will the control panel load, update when needed or does one have to update it manually?

I notice sometimes Geforce Experience uses my Google account to log in, other times Nvidia account, WTF? Must my information be spread to Google as well and the wall of advertising that follows in browsers? I don't like my looking at stuff then follow me around everywhere I go like a second shadow.

Nvidia needs to get their crap together, take care of their customers and not try to take everything they can from them. Money, information etc.
Simple, never use GFE. its crap anyways besides shadowplay. Also yeah the control panel was missing from my last driver update and had to goto the windows store to do it. Most retarded thing i have seen, makes zero sense and they are just trying to get everyone to use GFE so they can gather as much data as possible.

Simple, never use GFE. its crap anyways besides shadowplay. Also yeah the control panel was missing from my last driver update and had to goto the windows store to do it. Most retarded thing i have seen, makes zero sense and they are just trying to get everyone to use GFE so they can gather as much data as possible.
GFE isn't a replacement for the control panel so pushing it to the Windows Store has nothing to do with GFE. They stated it was due to some policy changes from MS in the latest build of Windows 10, but I have no idea. I installed it from the Windows Store and it was working fine after that.

Non-DCH link still works, just copy the URL and delete the DCH part.
https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/442.19/442.19-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

The control panel will update like any other Windows app if you're using the Store version with the DCH driver. Separating the control panel from the driver was a Microsoft decision, so blame it on them. As for GeForce Experience, it is not required. Uninstall it then just select the "driver only" install option when you're installing the driver.

Oddly, installing the drivers a second time (on top of the same ones) restored my control panel icon and seemingly removed the Windows UWP app. At the very least it hid it.

Oddly, installing the drivers a second time (on top of the same ones) restored my control panel icon and seemingly removed the Windows UWP app. At the very least it hid it.
lol, just the confusion over this. Anyways I installed using GFE, clean and it kept the Control Panel. So if one does not use GFE you get no Control Panel? Must download app and it will keep itself up to date hopefully? Not sure what Microsoft has to do with this, AMD does not seem bound by whatever rule is being spoke of. With AMD you can load the drivers using device manager and Radeon Software will not be installed unless you go into the installation directory and execute the Radeon Software install for the interface. Executing the AMD install will give you everything without having to install two other programs.

lol, just the confusion over this. Anyways I installed using GFE, clean and it kept the Control Panel. So if one does not use GFE you get no Control Panel? Must download app and it will keep itself up to date hopefully? Not sure what Microsoft has to do with this, AMD does not seem bound by whatever rule is being spoke of. With AMD you can load the drivers using device manager and Radeon Software will not be installed unless you go into the installation directory and execute the Radeon Software install for the interface. Executing the AMD install will give you everything without having to install two other programs.

As does the non-DCH version of NVidia's driver, i.e. what most would consider the "normal" driver. They still provide that.

The DCH drivers are for cases like OEMs / windows update clean installs where MS is discouraging a dog's breakfast of differing IHV control panels and applets.

You are free to pick the model you prefer.

As does the non-DCH version of NVidia's driver, i.e. what most would consider the "normal" driver. They still provide that.

The DCH drivers are for cases like OEMs / windows update clean installs where MS is discouraging a dog's breakfast of differing IHV control panels and applets.

You are free to pick the model you prefer.
Actually that makes a lot of sense, most of the cards out there, the owners may never open up the Nvidia drivers interface, having Windows just update the drivers as needed maybe the best solution for those folks. Now Nvidia should have an option, maybe they do, when installing to load the control panel or not - AMD style where when you do a custom install, you don't have to install the Radeon Software (Control panel) is an option.

Well, it's just a control panel. And one would expect this doesn't need updating often. Whether it installs via Nvidia's installer or by Windows really isn't going to impact anything - or shouldn't!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...evelop/getting-started-with-universal-drivers
When you write a universal driver package, there are four design principles to consider:
Declarative (D): Install the driver by using only declarative INF directives. Don't include co-installers or RegisterDll functions.
Componentized (C): Edition-specific, OEM-specific, and optional customizations to the driver are separate from the base driver package. As a result, the base driver, which provides only core device functionality, can be targeted, flighted, and serviced independently from the customizations.
Hardware Support App (H): Any user interface (UI) component associated with a universal driver must be packaged as a Hardware Support App (HSA) or preinstalled on the OEM device. An HSA is an optional device-specific app that's paired with a driver. The application can be a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) or Desktop Bridge app. You must distribute and update an HSA through the Microsoft Store. For details, see Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for driver developers and Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for app developers.
Universal API compliance (U): Binaries in the universal driver package call only those APIs and DDIs that are included in UWP-based editions of Windows 10. These DDIs are marked as Universal on the corresponding documentation reference pages. INF files use only universal INF syntax.

The next major version of Windows 10 and WDDM is supposedly deprecating support for "legacy" driver packages, so NVIDIA is getting ahead of this change by pushing DCH drivers on users in an attempt to avoid a deluge of support issues when that Windows update happens. AMD will have to be moving to the DCH model at some point. Whether or not that happens before the Windows feature update is yet to be seen.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...evelop/getting-started-with-universal-drivers
When you write a universal driver package, there are four design principles to consider:
Declarative (D): Install the driver by using only declarative INF directives. Don't include co-installers or RegisterDll functions.
Componentized (C): Edition-specific, OEM-specific, and optional customizations to the driver are separate from the base driver package. As a result, the base driver, which provides only core device functionality, can be targeted, flighted, and serviced independently from the customizations.
Hardware Support App (H): Any user interface (UI) component associated with a universal driver must be packaged as a Hardware Support App (HSA) or preinstalled on the OEM device. An HSA is an optional device-specific app that's paired with a driver. The application can be a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) or Desktop Bridge app. You must distribute and update an HSA through the Microsoft Store. For details, see Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for driver developers and Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for app developers.
Universal API compliance (U): Binaries in the universal driver package call only those APIs and DDIs that are included in UWP-based editions of Windows 10. These DDIs are marked as Universal on the corresponding documentation reference pages. INF files use only universal INF syntax.

The next major version of Windows 10 and WDDM is supposedly deprecating support for "legacy" driver packages, so NVIDIA is getting ahead of this change by pushing DCH drivers on users in an attempt to avoid a deluge of support issues when that Windows update happens. AMD will have to be moving to the DCH model at some point. Whether or not that happens before the Windows feature update is yet to be seen.
Wow! So keyboard apps/drivers, sound apps for motherboards etc. would have to go this route as well. I don't see the issue if the installer links the window store app during installation automatically which the user agrees or not to. Not sure how fast Microsoft is in updating an interface type app when needed plus bug fixes that can occur. So many may not even know what they are missing if one has to manually go to the Microsoft Store and load an interface app, making new features less likely to be used because of the weird dictatorial type method Microsoft is going to impose, I suppose all under of making it better for the user excuse. What is the reason Microsoft thinks this is a good idea? So AMD may just drop most of the extra features that are currently available. While some maybe think that would be great, others would most likely miss something they loved. I guess we have to wait to see how this turns out in the end.

I still have the Control Panel through all updates. And not from the MS Store. I just checked and the only apps from the store are the actual MS apps for Windows 10 plus MSI Dragon Center, which I did not realize was an App from the store.

I did a fresh driver install and the drivers that Nvidia gave me when I searched their website were the DCH drivers, not the "Standard" ones. You have to go looking for the standard drivers anymore.

I did a fresh driver install and the drivers that Nvidia gave me when I searched their website were the DCH drivers, not the "Standard" ones. You have to go looking for the standard drivers anymore.

Interesting. When I search the NVIDIA site I get the choice between GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL and NVIDIA Studio Driver. I use the Game Ready ones but am lazy and let GeForce Experience download and update.

Like I said above you just have to copy the download link and remove the "dch" from the URL. I don't know how much longer that will work.

Back