New NVIDIA control panel now in beta

Ever since I started playing with Adrenaline in my second rig, I've realized how much better it is than the combination of NVCP and GFE and wanted Nvidia to do something about it. Looks like that's finally happening and excited to play with this later. Might just DDU and grab this later.

Note that not all video options are incorporated into the app yet, so you'll still need to keep to old control panel around as of now.

Note that not all video options are incorporated into the app yet, so you'll still need to keep to old control panel around as of now.
I was wondering about that since i'm not home now to test. Can I just install this on top of my existing driver/GFE/NVCP setup?

I was wondering about that since i'm not home now to test. Can I just install this on top of my existing driver/GFE/NVCP setup?
The drivers have been adhering to the Windows DCH driver specification for a year or two now, which requires the control panel to be a separate app, so you can run both side-by-side.

Looks like it automatically upgrades you to the new app and "removes" GFE which answers part of my question. Nice, actually.

1708616807688.png

Seem pure positive for an overdue Nvidia issue, has feature list augment like auto-HDR that are per game and so on, having an easy interface to manage them can gain value.

Looks like the typical generic web browser UI software. Hopefully it'll run better than those and there won't be as much wasted space.

Ever since I started playing with Adrenaline in my second rig, I've realized how much better it is than the combination of NVCP and GFE and wanted Nvidia to do something about it. Looks like that's finally happening and excited to play with this later. Might just DDU and grab this later.
That's interesting - I feel the opposite. Although I do give AMD that it is nice that it is all centralized in one place. I like GeForce Experience for gaming and that's my main focus. The interface is confusing for me on the AMD side.

Funny, considering this beta uses less storage space and memory than the old control panel by itself.
And what about data collection, integration, monitoring, driver updates, etc.
GFE takes over your PC.

I use nvcp to change my graphics and video settings. All that other shit is useless to me, being forced to install it and run it in the background will cause nothing but problems.

Last edited:
And what about data collection, integration, monitoring, driver updates, etc.
GFE takes over your PC.

I use nvcp to change my graphics and video settings. All that other shit is useless to me, being forced to install it and run it in the background will cause nothing but problems.
Do you use nvcleaninstall to remove the telemetry the driver comes with?

That's interesting - I feel the opposite. Although I do give AMD that it is nice that it is all centralized in one place. I like GeForce Experience for gaming and that's my main focus. The interface is confusing for me on the AMD side.

Yeah the AMD app looks cool but the interface with multiple tab levels is really annoying. I've been stuck in there digging for features I knew i used before but couldn't remember where they went.

This update is long overdue though, GFE just sucked especially having to log in.

I can't wait to try out RTX HDR. AutoHDR has been a hit or miss for me and I am not going to bother with trying to fiddle with Reshade/SpecialK for every single game that lacks HDR support. RTX HDR seems like an instant and simple solution.

will GFE still be a separate download or will it come unified with the drivers? (I hope it stays separate)

That's not encouraging seeing as Razer Synapse is single handedly the reason why I don't own any Razer products anymore.
One of the WORST programs out there. Beyond irritating. Shame I need it to adjust the 1200dpi setting to 1000. Otherwise I wouldn't install it.

On topic: I always smirk when I reformat and install Nvidia drivers and that old control panel opens up. I seem to remember it in the tnt2 days, but maybe I'm misremembering and it was my gf3 or 8800gtx days.

will GFE still be a separate download or will it come unified with the drivers? (I hope it stays separate)
GFE is dead with this. Been playing with it for a few hours, part of the installation process is it imports any settings you had in GFE and removes it.

So far i'm pretty happy with it and it'll only get better as they add to it (still in Beta).

• Future Enhancements
    • Moving forward, NVIDIA will be integrating the remaining features from the NVIDIA Control Panel, which will encompass Display and Video settings. Additionally, NVIDIA will be adding several attributes from GeForce Experience and RTX Experience, such as GPU overclocking and driver roll-back. During the NVIDIA app beta, GeForce Experience and the NVIDIA Control Panel will continue to be available.
    • Not all features will be making the transition, though. The primary goal with the NVIDIA app is to enhance the user experience, boost client performance, and pioneer RTX innovations. To achieve this, NVIDIA has made the decision to discontinue a few features that were underutilized, especially where good alternatives exist.
    • This discontinuation encompasses Broadcast to Twitch and YouTube, Share Images and Video to Facebook and YouTube, and Photo Mode 360 & Stereo captures. Streamlining features helps the NVIDIA app install in half the time, deliver a 50% more responsive UI, and occupy 17% less disk space than GeForce Experience.
    • On the beta roadmap, NVIDIA plans to offer AV1 support for Shadowplay, additional DLSS controls, extra overclocking options, and more

nVidia can do what it wants, so long as I get to continue using Sedona (aka nVidia Control Panel) without issue. It's bad enough that after nVidia drivers switched to DCH, Sedona became a Windows Store app. But yeah I just hope Sedona continues to exist as-is, and remains available for us to use. Cuz I sure as fuck don't wanna use whatever this new nVidia app is. I really didn't like GeForce Experience either.

One of the WORST programs out there. Beyond irritating. Shame I need it to adjust the 1200dpi setting to 1000. Otherwise I wouldn't install it.

On topic: I always smirk when I reformat and install Nvidia drivers and that old control panel opens up. I seem to remember it in the tnt2 days, but maybe I'm misremembering and it was my gf3 or 8800gtx days.
The current control panel as we know it came out with the release 100 drivers when Windows Vista and the first gen Tesla came out. The Detonator drivers before that looked like this:

1708692391752.png

1708692364883.png

I look forward trying it out this weekend! I hate the old Nvidia control panel to the point I avoid using it unless I have to. About time they made it more streamlined and modern. Still Beta, but looks like it already have the most important features that I use.

Its SO much faster to open and make changes, though not as if I do that all the time. The overlay management screen when you hit Alt-Z feels much nicer to navigate than the old one did. So far so good.

My only complaint (that's confirmed to be fixed in a future release) is RTX HDR for games (Windows AutoHDR competitor) is currently not working with more than one display connected to the system.

1708696177712.png

HOLY SH*T RTX HDR is flippin incredible! This is way better than AutoHDR, hell it even beats the native HDR implementation in a lot of games because the native implementation is a lot of times TRASH. Guess letting AI do all the HDR work is much better than letting humans do it. Yeah with this feature I am never considering AMD in the future for my GPU use because even if they do copy it like they did with frame generation, it won't be as good. RTX HDR is a huge game changer, far more than AMD's fluid motion frames.

hell it even beats the native HDR implementation in a lot of games because the native implementation is a lot of times TRASH
I've been meaning to try it in games with native HDR. I'll need to use the mod to enable it since it doesn't currently work in the new Nvidia app if you have more than one monitor connected.

I've been meaning to try it in games with native HDR. I'll need to use the mod to enable it since it doesn't currently work in the new Nvidia app if you have more than one monitor connected.

A lot of games either don't have HDR sliders, or have completely useless sliders. RTX HDR has useful sliders for adjusting the image in real time while you are in game to see what looks proper. It's just amazing man. Now we don't have to be at the mercy of developers who can't do good HDR.

Yeah, kinda of a bummer RTX HDR doesn't work on a multi-monitor setup; hopefully they'll fix that one quickly.
You can "force" it on using a mod if you really can't wait. I was playing around with the mod last week since the functionality was built into the last driver just not exposed yet. Clearly they were waiting for this new App to be released.

You can "force" it on using a mod if you really can't wait. I was playing around with the mod last week since the functionality was built into the last driver just not exposed yet. Clearly they were waiting for this new App to be released.
Yeah I see it on Nexus mod. Depending on how long it takes for Nvidia to fix that caveat, I might give it a try. Thx!

Allow me to demonstrate just how good this thing is. Here we have Horizon Zero Dawn, probably one of the worst HDR implementations in existence, sliders are absolute dogshit and you get clipping in the sky no matter what settings you use.

Here's how the image looks like in SDR, notice how you have details in the clouds near where the sun is at:

1708742003883.jpeg

Now here's the game's shitty native HDR implementation which blows out highlight detail out of existence, notice the missing clouds as it's just clipped to pure white-:

1708742053017.jpeg

Now here's RTX HDR, details in the clouds retained while the sun shines in all it's glory:

1708742092525.jpeg

Back