New Noctua Coolers for mITX

Not worthed imo. why? 2 reasons.
1. they are expensive, at the same price you buy Corsair/Antec WC.
2. unlike the WC they still dump the hot air inside the case. And in a limited airflow enclosure like a SFF PC, I really question their efficiency.

And unlike WC it will actually fit in my case. No way a WC setup will fit in my case. But this might. I cant tell from the pic if it would clear the PCIe slot.

Worth is what you are willing to pay.

BTW, where did you find a price? Or are you just going by Noctua pricing?

I imagine that low profile Noctua will fall in to the same price range as the NH-U9B SE2 which typically sells for around $60 USD. The Corsair H50\H60 series usually go for around $75 so the price gap is quite large. Besides the Hyrdo water coolers won't fit in many smaller mITX cases which don't have a 120mm case fan, the Noctua will.

I imagine that low profile Noctua will fall in to the same price range as the NH-U9B SE2 which typically sells for around $60 USD. The Corsair H50\H60 series usually go for around $75 so the price gap is quite large. Besides the Hyrdo water coolers won't fit in many smaller mITX cases which don't have a 120mm case fan, the Noctua will.

The H50 was/is on sale for $40 and can be found online regularly for $50-$60.

Noctua Coolers would be my choice if I didn't have the choice of having a WC. Nice and quiet fans from Noctua, I think it's a great choice.

Looks like a nice cooler. I love thier coolers but hate the color scheme on the fans. The fans are great I just wish they would offer some alternative colors, maybe not in the cooler packaging but at least sell them individually.

i wished this would have came out earlier, it would be a good alternative to the prolimatech samual 17 i just got.

66mm total height in low profile mode ... and one would guess plus another 25 for 120mm fan makes 91mm ...
from the pic and description, i think it's 66mm tall total, including the 25mm fan.
Not worthed imo. why? 2 reasons.
1. they are expensive, at the same price you buy Corsair/Antec WC.
2. unlike the WC they still dump the hot air inside the case. And in a limited airflow enclosure like a SFF PC, I really question their efficiency.

sometimes cases and layout force you to get certain coolers, and the clearance from this cooler is much for versatile than a cheapo half-assed watercooling attempt. and also, there's not very many ways you can orient the radiator/fan combo to also cool the motherboard and mosfets. this cooler also has that hadvantage.

I wonder how it'll stack against the AXP-140 with a 140mm fan or slim 120mm fan (which fits in a SG05/06)

Last edited:
the cooler is useless on a mini-itx board with a card in the pci-e slot. so like a graphics card would prevent the cooler from even fitting, or vice versa.

the cooler is useless on a mini-itx board with a card in the pci-e slot. so like a graphics card would prevent the cooler from even fitting, or vice versa.

Exactly. I'm incredibly surprised that no one has made a simple, 120mm flat cooler which allows the use of the pcie slot on these itx mobos. The only options seem to be the Thermalright AXP-140, Prolimatech Samuel 17, or the Nexus LOW-7000. The Nexus and Prolimatech are too small and the Thermalright is too big for my liking. I want one that's juuuust right. :p

Exactly. I'm incredibly surprised that no one has made a simple, 120mm flat cooler which allows the use of the pcie slot on these itx mobos. The only options seem to be the Thermalright AXP-140, Prolimatech Samuel 17, or the Nexus LOW-7000. The Nexus and Prolimatech are too small and the Thermalright is too big for my liking. I want one that's juuuust right. :p

Yeah, I found out by trial and error, lol. I used a Corsair h60 and an Antec 620 for some of my mITX builds, and they work great.

go with scythe, the original shuriken rev. b and new kozuti are both super lo profile, offer great cooling, and cheap

Looks like it should fit on most ITX boards with graphics card near CPU. Just turn the HSF so the side with the heatpipes is facing the graphics card. In the photo from the 1st post look at the diagram behind the HSF to see the proportions.

and you've tried one of these already on your mini-ITX board?? don't judge blindly, it shows that it's been designed for mini-ITX so untill one of us tried it don't go off half-cocked and slam the product.

as the above poster mentioned, have a look at the proportions of the side-on view, and where it contacts the CPU in relation to half way accross the fins ... like the AXP-140 it's offset.

I'm certainly going to try one in my SG05 ... as good as the AXP-140 is it's the Scythe Slim 120mm fan that doesn't seem to do a good enough job.

It might even be an idea to try the lower 92mm fan facing upwards and using the PSU fan for extraction (I have PSU facing up ATM).

and you've tried one of these already on your mini-ITX board?? don't judge blindly, it shows that it's been designed for mini-ITX so untill one of us tried it don't go off half-cocked and slam the product.
As for most intel's Core i#'s mITX motherboards, if you set the cooler right side up (with the hinge on the bottom), you will not be able to use a discreet video card. You may be able to upside down, but Noctua will tell you that's not recommended. Why? I'm assuming there is some kind of "vapor cooling" effect in there.

Socket placement is key.

Many ITX cases have the mobo on the bottom (eg most of Silverstone SUGO series) so heatpipe orientation is not an issue in all cases.

As for most intel's Core i#'s mITX motherboards, if you set the cooler right side up (with the hinge on the bottom), you will not be able to use a discreet video card. You may be able to upside down, but Noctua will tell you that's not recommended. Why? I'm assuming there is some kind of "vapor cooling" effect in there.

Socket placement is key.

What are you on about?? Hinge on the bottom? I'm guessing that this cooler will have a similar manual with mounting instructions to the C14 ...

http://noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_c14_manual_en.pdf

From what I see it's fine to have the pipes near the PCIe slot if your case has the motherboard horizontal ... or if the board is vertical then the PCIe slot is below the CPU ... which is pretty much every case I know of.

not sure if this will fit on an X79 board with split memory slots on both sides of CPU

It depends on the placement of the cpu socket. If it's too close to the pci-e slot then it's the motherboard manufacturers fault.

It depends on the placement of the cpu socket. If it's too close to the pci-e slot then it's the motherboard manufacturers fault.

All the boards I've seen have the socket next to the PCIe slot, though I haven't specifically searched for one that doesn't.

Back