New NEC PA301wbk with a small problem?

Dantrax

Gawd
I've got 1 stuck on green pixel in the center of my screen & 1 dead pixel in the top left corner of my screen. Is this a sign of more bad things to come ? Or is it just 1 of those "acceptable" failure type things ? I mean for the price I'm not happy about it but I'm not sure what to do or if it's even covered under the warranty. I'm actually surprised that's all that appears to be wrong with this monitor since the styrofoam packing in the NEC box was smashed on the top left corner & came out in 2 pieces. Any way what would you do if it was yours?

Exchange it. NEC will take good care of you.
Q-BZ Jonte told me to try UD pixel which almost cured all my problems. Seems upon closer examination I had 3 dark pixels in top left corner & also 1 green & 1 blue stuck on pixels right next to one another in the center of the screen. UD pixel fixed the 3 dark pixels & the blue pixel. Just the green pixel won't respond, it's still stuck on. But I'll talk to NEC Monday & see what they say, thanks for the tip.

I have noticed that this monitor will not support 1080i. When I hook up my Cablevision set-top box to it with an HDMI to DVI cable to try to watch TV directly, it goes into a 180 second count-down while flashing a warning that says interlaced signals are not supported. Then the screen goes blank & I have to change to the Display port input from my PC. I can then watch TV using Win Media Center using my ATI Theatre 650 TV board. Does anyone know if Verizon outputs a 1080p signal from their set-top boxes? Because I'd switch from Cablevision to Verizon if that's the case.

Afraid I don't know about Verizon, but can't you manually set the resolution output from the cablevision set-top box?

I use a Tivo and cablecards, so don't have much experience using those boxes, but I know in my Tivo I can set it to override the signal and display a set resolution. I'm not sure if you can set it to display in 1080p, but maybe you can have it display all resolutions in 720p? Not a perfect solution, but your eyes may not notice any real difference.

No, I can't seem to manually set the cable-box for a lower resolution like 720p. It seems to bump up most channels to 1080i. The monitor would work with 480p, 720p or 1080p. I think there are some channels that only output to 720p, so I'll have to try those channels. Also Verizon is the same as Cablevision only 1080i not 1080p. The only way to get 1080p, if you believe it, is with a satelite provider like Dish or Direct TV in my area. Who would of thought you'd get better resolutions over the air vs. direct cabling? Well I'll have to call Cablevision to see if I can set my box to 720p, or if they have other boxes that can do that. Have a good one.

If you can't find a solution, a workaround may be to connect the box to something that takes the signal and converts it to a fixed resolution. And then connect that 'something' to the monitor.

Tivo would be one example, but maybe a bluray or DVD player could do it... roku, maybe? I'd think the set-top box must have a menu option in there somewhere to do it, but it's been ages since I had one of those boxes.

If you can't find a solution, a workaround may be to connect the box to something that takes the signal and converts it to a fixed resolution. And then connect that 'something' to the monitor.

Tivo would be one example, but maybe a bluray or DVD player could do it... roku, maybe? I'd think the set-top box must have a menu option in there somewhere to do it, but it's been ages since I had one of those boxes.

I called Cablevision & they were no help. But while watching the girls play tennis on ch35 I noticed the cable box in the living said 720p instead of 1080i. So I switched to ch 35 & switched inputs & viola TV on my monitor without any timeouts & warnings. I went into the 2 settings screens & finally figured out how to lock the cablebox output to 720p. So that problem's solved. What a whacky way to get the box to lock it's output. You have to find the output you want displayed on a channel, then switch the video format to fixed in 1 settings screen, & then go to other settings screen where a previously unseen item now appears to choose that resolution you want to fix or lock in. A PITA but it works now. I didn't get to call NEC about the stuck on green pixel yet, maybe 2morrow. How's your monitor problem going? Are they replacing it or repairing it?

At least you figured out some solution, albeit a somewhat annoying one.

As for my monitor woes, there is no easy way to repair the one I do have, besides replacing the entire panel. It's a big paperweight as it is now, pretty much impossible to turn on. It's way out of warranty since I got it used on eBay.

The seller was very fair with me though and agreed to send a replacement. I don't have it yet, so no idea as to its condition. I'd like to think it'll have as nice a screen as my previous one, except hopefully this time it'll keep working. I'll find out soon enough. In the back of my mind I do have the fear that a large percentage of the old 2190s selling on eBay have the same problem my first one did.

Well hopefully it will get replaced quickly & with a good one this time. Good luck man & thanks for the advice.

Exchange it. NEC will take good care of you.

Yes they did. They advised that I go back to B & H to exchange it. I brought it back to B & H who gave me an A-OK one. Goodbye green dot. Kudos to NEC & B&H customer service. That's what I call service with a smile :D Oh & this monitor is unbelievable. Gotta play some games on it soon.

Back