New mobo recommendation / question

chrono03

Weaksauce
Hey guys, my 4850 arrives in the mail today!!

I currently have an asrock 775dual-vsta motherboard. I am fairly sure the mobo has a x4 pci express slot(does anyone know differently?). I have an e6600 with 2 gigs of ocz ram running at stock FSB levels.
I will be playing games other than crysis, such as wow (obviously doesnt tax the vid card) bioshock and other games like that. I usually game around 1600x1200 resolution with special effects turned up.

Other hard members in the video card forum told me I needed to upgrade my mobo. So i came here to see what you guys think. Which mobo should I purchase? Also, should I buy a p45 chipset if i never plan on doing crossfire?

raid
decent overclocking
stability

I only want to spend about 100 bucks... and so far, the only one that meets my criteria is the GA-EP35-DS3R.

I appreciate any feedback.

Go with P43 or P45. If you know you'll never use Crossfire, then P43 would be good enough. What RAID level do you plan on running? RAID0? If so, then ICH10R is fine. If you're planning on R5, you'd be better off with a discrete controller, like the Dell Perc5i.

$100 w/ RAID and OC'ing?!? thats one tough requirement.

$120 - MSI P45 Neo3-FR LGA 775 Intel P45 ($20 MIR)

Though, I strongly suggest trying out your AsRock board first. I had some links to reviews before on that board, and ATI cards were very good at PCI-E scaling. Though, I think 4x might be cutting it close, lol. Still, try it, and if you don't like the performance, upgrade the board.

FYI, I might be interested in buying that board off of you, if the price is right. ;)

Back