New machine for small business

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I am building my father a new machine for his small business, and I'd like to get some advice from the community before I jump into it. I used to build machines with some regularity back in the day, but in the past 8 or so years I have only used laptops and have not paid much attention to the current market and technology.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

The machine will be the server for three other computers in the network. He writes books and makes illustrations for a living, and at any given time he has many taxing programs open, which tends to push the limits of his current computer. For example, he often has open Photoshop, Pagemaker, Photoshop, Corel Draw, Indesign, Outlook, as well as many PDFs, images, and internet windows.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Around $1,500 for everything (HDDs not included).

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Asheville, NC USA.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

An entire machine, minus the hard drives. This includes motherboard, CPU, RAM, CD drive, case and PSU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing anything.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No overclocking.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I am looking to get him a new monitor, but this is not included in this machine's budget (looking for 1920x1080). Probably 25" or so.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next 2-3 days hopefully.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Needs to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s with RAID capabilities (machine will have RAID 1). I would like the machine to have an onboard GPU if possible to serve as the main GPU, however if the machine will perform faster with a separate GPU I am willing to do this as well.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I will be purchasing a new Windows 7 64-bit license.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essentially, this machine will need to be able to handle anything that can be thrown at it. Due to the nature of my father's business, he needs to have many intensive programs open simultaneously, and the computer should be able to handle all of them quickly.

My biggest concern is which motherboard/CPU I should get, as I am not up to date on the current technology. I was originally thinking to get him a dual processor motherboard with Xeon CPUs, but I am not sure that this is necessary. From my research, I am considering the following two CPUs:

Intel Core i7-3930K 6-core @ 3.2GHz (3.8GHz turbo) $560

Intel Core i7-4770K 4-core @ 3.50GHz (3.9GHz turbo) $345

I am more inclined to go with the 3930K, as it tends to benchmark better and has two more cores. However, the 4770K is newer, and has onboard video processing.

For memory, I am thinking of getting 16GB of DDR in the form of two DIMMs, however since memory is cheap nowadays, if it will make a difference I might get 32GB in the form of four DIMMs. I am not sure if this will make a difference or is worth it. Thoughts on this? Haven't decided on a brand/speed yet, as I want it to match the bus speed on the mobo.

Any advice/comments? Thanks as always!!

Get the 4770k. While he does have some programs that will use 6-cores, a budget of $1500 will force you to skimp out on the rest of the build if you drop $600 on the processor. (Those 2011 mobos aren't cheap either.)

How many hard drives will be installed? Specific # of 6GB/s ports required? Size or aesthetic considerations?

Last edited:
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

An entire machine, minus the hard drives. This includes motherboard, CPU, RAM, CD drive, case and PSU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing anything.
If you're not reusing anything, where are those hard drives coming from then?

Get the 4770k. While he does have some programs that will use 6-cores, a budget of $1500 will force you to skimp out on the rest of the build if you drop $600 on the processor. (Those 2011 mobos aren't cheap either.)

My newegg cart WITHOUT ram or motherboard can be seen here, totaling $1,400. My budget is *about* 2k, so I can go over by a couple hundred if needbe. I think this gives me enough room to get a 2011 mobo + ram.

How many hard drives will be installed? Specific # of 6GB/s ports required? Size or aesthetic considerations?

I will install two 2.5" SSD drives in the 3.5" ports, in addition to a traditional 3.5" drive. So, 2 6GB/s ports are required, assuming that the DVD drive can suffice on a 3GB/s port. No aesthetic or size requirements.

If you're not reusing anything, where are those hard drives coming from then?

Because I have already decided upon which drives I wish to purchase: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB drives in RAID 1.

For memory, I am thinking of getting 16GB of DDR in the form of two DIMMs, however since memory is cheap nowadays, if it will make a difference I might get 32GB in the form of four DIMMs. I am not sure if this will make a difference or is worth it. Thoughts on this? Haven't decided on a brand/speed yet, as I want it to match the bus speed on the mobo.
If you have room in the budget, go for 32GB RAM in the form of 4 x 8GB sets. If there isn't, 16GB should be good start. Also don't worry that much about bus speed and such since it makes little to no difference in real world performance what RAM speed you get. So DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 RAM will be just fine.
My newegg cart WITHOUT ram or motherboard can be seen here, totaling $1,400. My budget is *about* 2k, so I can go over by a couple hundred if needbe. I think this gives me enough room to get a 2011 mobo + ram.
Could use improvement:
- The Antec 300 isn't that good of a case since it's rather cramped and has relatively bad cable management. I recommend these far better cooling, roomier, and quality cases instead (oh and they have 2.5" bays right off the bat):
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case
$90 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Antec 1100 ATX Case

Though if you want near silent to very quiet cases, then I recommend the following cases instead:
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$100 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case

- Get the higher quality and still more than enough for your planned setup Seasonic SSR-550M instead:
$80 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

- Video Card wise, if your father is indeed doing a ton of photoshop work, you should upgrade the video card to the GTX 650 1GB as it does offer a decent enough improvement over the GT 610 in certain Photoshop tasks to justify the extra $45:
$90 - MSI N650-MD1GD5/OC GTX 650 1GB PCI-E Video Card

- You're missing the RAM. I recommend this RAM (one or two sets depending on your remaining budget):
$120 - Kingston HyperX Red 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

- Ditch the AS5 Thermal paste: The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo already comes with thermal paste that's just as good if not better than AS5. Not to mention that even if you want to go with 3rd party thermal paste, you're better off with Arctic Cooling MX4 since it doesn't have any curing time like the AS5 yet performs the same if not better.

- Motherboard wise, I recommend the Asus Sabertooth X79 as it's one of the more reliable X79 motherboards out there and is supposedly built with longevity in mind:
$320 - Asus Sabertooth X79 Intel X79 Motherboard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have room in the budget, go for 32GB RAM in the form of 4 x 8GB sets. If there isn't, 16GB should be good start. Also don't worry that much about bus speed and such since it makes little to no difference in real world performance what RAM speed you get. So DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 RAM will be just fine.

Could use improvement:
- The Antec 300 isn't that good of a case since it's rather cramped and has relatively bad cable management. I recommend these far better cooling, roomier, and quality cases instead (oh and they have 2.5" bays right off the bat):
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case
$90 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Antec 1100 ATX Case

Though if you want near silent to very quiet cases, then I recommend the following cases instead:
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$100 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case

- Get the higher quality and still more than enough for your planned setup Seasonic SSR-550M instead:
$80 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

- Video Card wise, if your father is indeed doing a ton of photoshop work, you should upgrade the video card to the GTX 650 1GB as it does offer a decent enough improvement over the GT 610 in certain Photoshop tasks to justify the extra $45:
$90 - MSI N650-MD1GD5/OC GTX 650 1GB PCI-E Video Card

- You're missing the RAM. I recommend this RAM (one or two sets depending on your remaining budget):
$120 - Kingston HyperX Red 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

- Ditch the AS5 Thermal paste: The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo already comes with thermal paste that's just as good if not better than AS5. Not to mention that even if you want to go with 3rd party thermal paste, you're better off with Arctic Cooling MX4 since it doesn't have any curing time like the AS5 yet performs the same if not better.

- Motherboard wise, I recommend the Asus Sabertooth X79 as it's one of the more reliable X79 motherboards out there and is supposedly built with longevity in mind:
$320 - Asus Sabertooth X79 Intel X79 Motherboard.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Danny Bui!! I am going to go ahead and get the Asus Sabertooth X79 paired with the i7-3930k, along with 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX red DDR3.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Danny Bui!! I am going to go ahead and get the Asus Sabertooth X79 paired with the i7-3930k, along with 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX red DDR3.

Please post a final build list before you buy just to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Please post a final build list before you buy just to make sure we didn't miss anything.

My Amazon cart can be seen here. Only thing I am unsure of is the memory that you suggested -- seems as though there aren't many reviews on it and I am unsure of its longevity.

Back