New Living Room HT setup. Need Input

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I am planning to start putting together my new home theater system in my living room. I already have a PC in the other room I will run a HDMI to so Im fine on the PC side of things. But I need your input on what gear I should look into and if it would be worth buying any sound trapping materials to put in the corners or the walls.

I posted a video that shows the room and my ideas about speaker placement and what I could do to help the sound quality by adding some sound deadening to the corners.
You can view it here-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udeLujNmfu0

Here is the gear I have selected so far.

Display - LG 250PK 60 inch Plasma
Mains - Paradigm Studio 60s v5
Center Paradigm Studio 590 v5
Rears Paradigm Studio 20s v5
Subwoofer - undecided
AVR - Integra DTR-40.2
Amplifier - Parasound HCA 2005a
AV Stand - undecided

For sound treatment, I want to keep it simply and cheap.
Here are 2 items I was looking at buying ( no affiliation )

Corner Bass traps --> http://cgi.ebay.com/Next-CornerBass...141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159b9c93d

For the Walls--> http://cgi.ebay.com/2-ACOUSTICAL-FO...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9db2765

I would love to hear any ideas you guys have. Thanks!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can make your own acoustic panels for the wall with fiberglass and some boards from lowes. I would imagine you spend the same amount rigging up expensive foam in a similar enclosure.

Update: Just purchased the Studio 60s v5 on Audiogon and the 590 v5 center channel on eBay. I spent $2300 so far for those three speakers. should be a solid front sound stage.

I found a local guy selling a SVS PB12-NSD for $450, I think is the best choice since my room is not that large and should let me put more into a quality pre/pro and interconnects and room sound treatments.

Here is a great deal on a really great receiver if you don't mind open box.

It's about 700 elsewhere new.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DENAVR991-OPN

Any reason for choosing bookshelf speakers for rears instead of surround rears like the Studio ADP-590?

When I bought my Axiom system I started with just simple bookshelfs for the rears and it wasn't very satisfying. The sound cone was much too small for surround sound effects. When I moved to the dedicated surround/rear speakers the effects were much better and more easily heard.

Sirmaster, I bought a Parasound 2205a THX amp so I just need a processor to hook up to it now. I'm finally moving to separates. Seems like a good price though for the Denon.

Sirmaster, I bought a Parasound 2205a THX amp so I just need a processor to hook up to it now. I'm finally moving to separates. Seems like a good price though for the Denon.

My bad, yeah that's gonna sound great with paradigm studios :)

I picked up a new demo unit Saturday. Integra DTR 40.2 for $800 from a local delaer. I am still hooking everything up and waiting for my HTPC's power supply. I willl post some pictures later.

Don't forget Rythmik FV15 or FV15HP subwoofer. I just got one for a larger room and they are just sick at the $1000+ price range.

If you are looking for a pre/pro, I would look into something that has Audyssey XT32. It is fantastic! You have choices with either an Onkyo SC5508, Onkyo NR3008 or an Onkyo NR5008. The Denon 4311 also has XT32.

I found a local guy selling a SVS PB12-NSD for $450, I think is the best choice since my room is not that large and should let me put more into a quality pre/pro and interconnects and room sound treatments.

Did you end up picking this sub up?

Yep. I haven't fully tested it yet as I only have the radio setup. ( still waiting for a replacement Power supply for my HTPC) It plays loud and clear but I might move it around during setup to find the best position.

What do you guys recommend as far as Power protection? I have a cheap surge protector hooked up but I was wondering if it would be wise to invest in a Power conditioner or not.

Here are some pics I took last night.
DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3629.jpg

DSCF3630.jpg

DSCF3632.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality.

Last edited:
Back