New Laptop - 4 Partitions - 2 SSD's/2 HDD's

Puterguru

2[H]4U
Receiving a new laptop tomorrow. It is suppose to have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

According to some reviews the drives are formatted as...
A 95GB SSD
A 121GB SSD
And two 465GB HDD's.

Should I do something to simplify this or leave it the way it is? Should I install my games on the 121SSD and the rest of my data (pics, video's etc) on the second SSD.

I'm using about 271GB at home so I'm thinking the 121GB for some games and everything else on a 465 HDD?

Why the hell would these be formatted this way?

Thanks in advance...

Interesting drive configuration for a laptop. I would re-partition the SSD into a single drive (with whatever overprovisioning required), and probably just use a single HDD for data storage. It sounds like a pretty beefy machine, but if you can eliminate a mechanical drive it will give you better battery time. It may be too beefy to really use much on battery, though, in which case it may not matter to you.

Could be:
95GB- OS and programs
121GB- Games

I don't know why the HDD would be split in halved.

I parted my 2 two laptop drives:

Main disk.
65GB- OS/programs.
866GB- Games

2nd disk.
1.5TB- Media

Single partition on each drive would do I think. You can merge those partitions though with some Partition tools from Acronis, Easeus or Partition Wizard if you want.

I suggest to completely erase all disks after a backup of the original content (e.g. with Acronis) to an external medium and make a single partition on each drive.
Some vendors install a lot of crapware, so you would want to start with a fresh installation anyway.

Back