New iPod Nano 1gb on sale... what do you think?

krizzle

Gawd
The new capacity sells for $150 now, filling in a strangely obscure gap in their lineup. Now you can buy a 1gb shuffle for $100, shell out $50 more for a color screen and many more features, or another $50 for twice the capacity, or yet another $50 for four gigs.

I think it's a wise move. They've now eclipsed every hole in the flash mp3 player market.

You guys got anything to say?

the 1gb is good for people like my mom that walks and listens to about 50-100 songs, and most people have 150 songs or less, so it is good for most people. not people like you and me, but "normal" people that dont need 80gb of music

I still think they need to do away with the Shuffle with the introduction of this new 1 gig Nano. Then they need to in time lower the price on this new product, so that:
1GIG = $100
2GIG = $200
4GIG = $250
Right now it feels like you might as well spend $50 and get the 2GIG if you ever expand your music library you'll have some room.

Either way I know I'll need the 60GIG iPod, but this is just my $.02

Just get the best, 4GB nano and you won't regret it. The shuffle line is an interesting line though. I wouldn't get rid of it. I think they should come out with a 2GB line. Hold files like a flash drive and listen to music like an mp3 player.

according to some sources, they'll actually be introducing a revamped version of the shuffle in the near future.

I reckon the next quarter, starting May, we'll see an upgraded Gen5 video iPods, most probably with toshiba's perpendicular recording 80gig hard drives. Nano will most likely stay untouched, unless they introduce an 8gb version. And the new shuffles will fill in the uber-cheap minimalist spectrum of the market... although I really can't tell what they could do to the shuffle to make it much different, other than capacity vamps. But let's face it, a > 1gb shuffle's a bit redundant... you won't be able to select an individual song. That's what the nano's fill.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
they should slowly phase out the shuffle...

or at least bring out a new one with a screen (OLED maybe?)

Or even just a small lcd so you can scan through songs without having to listen to some of them to figure out if its something you want to hear.

I still think they need to do away with the Shuffle with the introduction of this new 1 gig Nano
i hope they dont. i have a shuffle and love it. for what i use it for (running), i would much rather not have a screen that could break. plus, the nano is quite a bit heavier and larger. a friend of mine has a nano, and it's pretty cool, but if they discontinue the shuffle anytime soon, i'll buy a couple of them and not use them until the current one breaks. i love it.

I agree with you, krizzle. All the gaps are now filled for the most part and more offerings are made for customers. Not everyone needs 2GB of storage for music, but maybe still wanted a screen. So in this case, a 1GB nano is perfect.

I would have rather wanted an 8 gig nano. Is it too much to ask? Price it the same to compete with the Zen Micro Photo...damn that would be sweet.

markt435 said:
I would have rather wanted an 8 gig nano. Is it too much to ask? Price it the same to compete with the Zen Micro Photo...damn that would be sweet.
im waiting for the ipod Rice. size of a grain of rice its implanted in your head .full HD video and 7.1 sound oh and it holds 100gb's

Edit: got my wife the 2gb nano for xmas and its pretty sweet.

I don't understand the point of having a screen on the shuffle. It would most likely only be one line of text thus scrolling through songs via the one line would be about as fast as skipping through the music.

My favorite part of the shuffle is the audio quality. If they could at least up the nano to the 5G or shuffle chip, I would buy one. (Please upgrade this year.) Until then, I'll stick with a shuffle.

i was thinking of getting a Nano,but bought a Zen Micro.

bad idea.i had it for a month and it just started to lock up and finally wouldn't turn on.Returned it back to walmart.

i'm really thinking about getting a Nano now with the price drop,but i see mp3 players like the Sandisk's for the same price and you can upgrade the storage using a SD card.

flynlr said:
im waiting for the ipod Rice. size of a grain of rice its implanted in your head .full HD video and 7.1 sound oh and it holds 100gb's

Edit: got my wife the 2gb nano for xmas and its pretty sweet.

Dude, chances are, Apple already has it in development. :D

Thats the Steve Jobs way.

i'd like to see an iPod fill in the gap between the nanos and the regular iPod videos. 4GB right to 30GB? i think a 15 or 20 would be good, but i don't see how they could fit it in, seeing as how the nano is only 50 bucks cheaper than the 30 gig.

I think it's the mentality that they're too good for mere 15 or 20 gig models. Once you're physically capable of containing anything bigger than a microdrive due to design parameters, you might as well market at the biggest possible capacity.

I had a Creative MuvoTX ( like the shuffle but with a screen) and that thing was awesome. I could see what song I was playing and I had a pen drive availible at all times ( great for school ). The also last much much longer then non solid state memory devices.

buttt....now I have a 60gb ipod video :D

I like my Shuffle alot because I can carry it around with no case in my pocket without worrying about it getting scratch as easy as a regular iPod. I do with it had a little screen for song name or even 1 out of how ever many songs. Plus the Nano scratches easy. The Shuffle is a pretty durable little thing, and you don't need a USB cable.

Back