New intel mobo chipset and IDE problems

p0intblank

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new computer in the next couple months and I've been researching for the last few weeks now. I've been looking for a mobo for awhile now and I hear about the older model 945 chipsets, that still have alot of ATA100 ports, and then the newer 965 chipsets that only have 1 port(2 devices) and alot of people are saying that they have a hard time getting their DVD-ROMs/ R/W drives to work or burn properly. I plan on using a single 74 gig raptor in my machine(already have a 300 gig external backup drive) and a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drive, both IDE. So I'm asking you guys which chipset I should stick with. Oh, and I'm going to be getting a Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93 GHz cpu, so I dont know which chipset will be better or worse, if at all, for that cpu. Also, I dont want SLi so only 1 PCI-E x16 slot is necessary. I'll put a few of my findings up for you guys to look at(both chipsets) but you can also throw in some if you want too.

ASUS P5B-E P965

ASUS P5LD2 945P

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Pretty much anything under $200 is fair game, but I'm also not one of the crazy overclockers that knows everything about tweaking stuff. So thats why 2 of those are Asus. I'm using an Asus mobo right now so I tend to go back to them for a new mobo.

Back