New Images Show Design for Space Needle’s Glass Restaurant Floor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Half a century after its construction, the Space Needle is about to undergo its biggest renovation yet: flooring in the restaurant will be replaced with glass, giving diners a view of Seattle Center 500 feet below; the observation deck will be retooled, its outside, cage-like enclosure replaced entirely with glass panels; and another set of elevators will be added. I’ve already lost my appetite.

The multi-year, $100 million Century Project is under way now at the 55-year-old icon, and the Seattle design firm Olson Kundig has released a series of dramatic images showing what changes to the observation deck and restaurant will look like. Want a glass of water or wine with your meal? It’ll pair well with the glass tables, chairs, windows and rotating floor in the reimagined space. Dropping a fork in this place is going to be a newsworthy event!

Good renderings.

They should probably have a section of the restaurant not over glass. Just for the people with phobias.

Although the observation deck is a welcome fix. That fencing can be annoying.

630.png

"when I was a wee lad", I had lunch there on Opening Day of the Seattle World's Fair with my family.

I guess this means the rotating restaurant floor is out.. bummer. it was nice seeing different parts of the city while dining.

Edit, I take that back, apparently rotation is still included according to the article. Phew

it probably will be the most expensive dinner ever.

As long as the glass isnt made by some low bidding Chinese manufacturer right?

The amount of Windex this place will go through will be amazing. The good news is they'll either have to hire robots (seriously) to keep the outside glass constantly cleaned, and/or hire tons of people to keep the glass clear.

So, now people will be able to get some idea of what vomit on Seattle really looks like, cool. :D

I have been to the needle many times. dont really need the full glass floor as below really isnt all that interesting. plus, with all that glass on a windy rainy day.. oh yeah. nothing like feeling the tower move in the wind

Dear God. Do you know how many of Seattle's SJW women will go up there, skirted and sans panties, just to scar the poor bastards on the ground who happen to be looking up at the space needle?

They should give the ground crowd the ability to darken selected panels.

I imagine they will get more foot traffic and a shift in usual crowds. Older folks tend to dislike standing on transparent surfaces for stability reasons.

Back