New i7 gaming rig advice - $3k

psycsike

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This will be located in to the living room used primarily for gaming with a small amount of HTPC/streaming video from my server downstairs.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~$3k; Price is not so much a factor as having a nice system. I want to get a solid 18 months before I need to upgrade anything, but I expect to around that time.
3) Where do you live?
New York, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, MB, RAM, GPU, SSD, HDD, Case, PSU,DVD Burner, CPU cooler, some new fans
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Toshiba 40in 1080p HDTV 1920x1080 here
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, the CPU and GPU; willing to tweak the timings on the RAM
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
40in 1080i HDTV Toshiba
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week, as soon as I find a build I am comfortable with.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I need HDMI out on the video card. In light of these firmware issues, I would like the ability to do RAID 0 or 5. I would like the option to do Xfire (dual, no triple).
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
yes, Win7 64 bit.

Current build:

$220 - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
$290 - EVGA P55 FTW SLI 132-LF-E657-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$230 - 2x$115 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$390 - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (might get another for Xfire)
$659 - Intel X25-M 160gb SSD (w/ TRIM) [avail from amazon for $459)
$109 - WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA HD
$190 - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
$140 - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
Total=$2,228.92

A few comments:
-I am almost $800 under budget and don't really know how else to squeeze power into it. A few options are a second GPU in X-fire, a nice 7.1 home theater system, or ....??

-I had been looking at the $59 - CM V8 for a CPU cooler, but I was unsure if it fit in this case and with this RAM.

-I had originally been looking at an x58 920 setup, but my friend convinced me 1366 was a dead socket and 1156 was the way to go. I am not sure that I really care if Intel is releasing any more 1366 chips, so long as there is still ample firmware/driver support. When it comes time to upgrade I will likely do both the CPU, mobo, (and more?).

-I really want to try the SSD and don't see any better way to spend the money up and get that kind of performance increase. I don't plan to fill the drive more than 60% and this PC will ONLY be used for gaming and maybe a little bit of HTPC. I also have a 1TB drive for 'everything else', also 90% of my music/movies can be streamed from my server anyway.

---The bottom line is that this PC is all about performance and speed, no work will get done on this machine, so lets have some fun with it!

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and comment. Thank you!!

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you wait for the refreshed P55 with SATA 3.0 and USB 3 for future proofing unless you need to upgrade now.

IMHO 1156 is the dead platform. I'd go with 1366, and that being said here are my deviations from your original build.

Mobo: 284.99 EVGA x58

CPU: i7 920 for 199.99 from Microcenter if you have one locally.

RAM: 203.99 Mushkin Redline

PSU: 239.99 Corsair HX1000

Heatsink: Noctua SE2 for 74.99 (w/2 fans included)

For the case, personally I think you'll find the Cosmos to be a nightmare to keep cool. I recommend

179.99 ATCS 840

Hope this helps and good luck. Use the extra money to get a second 5870 :D

Let me get this straight: Your response to Intel's firmware issues on its SSDs is to buy an Intel SSD anyways?

You can pick up two of the Indilinx-based SSDs, like the OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD, and place them in a RAID 0 configuration. (Along that same note, the Seagate 7200.12 1TB HDD is faster and a bit cheaper than the WD Black... but the WD Black has a five-year limited warranty versus the Seagate's three-year warranty.) And before anyone else tell you otherwise, the lack of TRIM in an SSD isn't a dealbreaker at this point in time (even though it does help with the SSD's overall performance).

Where are you guys getting your information from? Socket 1366 is Intel's high-end model line whereas Socket 1156 is designed for the more mainstream products. Neither one is going away any time soon.

Other than what I mentioned about the SSDs/HDD, combine ugapug and lt_shiro's recommendations together. Your video card and PSU choices are fine. Cases are a matter of personal taste

LGA775 lasted from 2004 until now, 2009, 5yrs later. What makes you think LGA1156 and LGA1366 are dead? lol.

If you have enough money to buy a 3k machine, I would go for it....but you do know in about 1 year - that machine is going to be worth about half the value.... : /

LOL. So, according to Opie's friend and this post, Intel's two most recent high-end socket releases are dead platforms. What a shame. :p

This thought stems from over-eager anticipation of i9s coming out early 2010. This rig has been put off since the summer so there is NO way I am waiting that long. With this in mind I think you guys are right with the 920 x58 setup.

By the way I don't feel the NEED to spend 3$ at newegg, that is simply the budget to build a high performance gaming machine. I will likely end this several hundred dollars under budget, but I would like high quality components that will WORK and work well TOGETHER.

Here is the current setup:

Things I would like advice on:
$289 - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 - Seems like a good board and a solid option. My EVGA 680i worked like a dream.

139 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) - I really like this ram w/ the timings but I wanted atleast 8GB. Double up on it and run 6 dimms for 12gb? Thoughts?

$140 - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W - I am buying this off recommendation. Do I want a modular PSU instead for less cable mess?

How does $79 - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 compare to $75 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 or $54 - CM V8 - Cost is not an issue here so much as cool temps, low noise, and stability/quality.

Things I am pretty well set on:
$659 - Intel X25-M SSD 160gb - I am aware of the new issues, but Intel already responded quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new firmware out very soon.

$109 - WD Black 1TB 7200 - will pair well with the SSD for media / everything else.

$389 - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 - I purchased XFX last time and had to return it for fragmenting. The Sapphire I replaced it with has been perfect for too long to admit now.

$289 - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield - I am sure about this now, with your comments and more research I have a much better understanding of this situation.

$190 - CM Cosmos 1000 - I like this case a lot. The size, look, feel, quality, dust screens, and *soundproofing* make it a very attractive choice.

Again, thanks for the advice so far!

$3k and only one SSD? get another for RAID0. Only 6GB of RAM? get another set for 12GB. Do that computer some justice.

$3k and only one SSD? get another for RAID0.

I find this a little hard to swallow considering there ARE firmware issues w/ windows 7 AND with the very high early adopter price. How much faster would the ssd in raid 0 really go?

Only 6GB of RAM? get another set for 12GB. Do that computer some justice.

On recommendation and due to g.skill's exceptional tech support I am currently planning on G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)

I had originally been planning on doubling up on $229 - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel or the $204 - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) have also been recommended.

Which of these sets of ram is going to work best with 6 dimms on this EVGA board?

How high do you plan on OC'ing?

I would expect to hit 3.5ghz stable. I suppose it depends on how solid a cooler I can get. I'd rather not deal with a full blown water cooling setup, but what is the next best thing? I linked a few possibilities earlier.

The V8, TRUE, and Noctua are all pretty price, IMO. You could get to around 4Ghz with a D0 and a CoGage True Spirit pretty easily.

$40 - CoGage True Spirit 4-Heatpipe Core i7 CPU Cooler (OEM Thermalright)

The kit with the lowest voltage. :p

How high do you plan on OC'ing?

Of the RAM I was considering, only the G.Skill ran at 1.6v while the others ran at 1.65v (the max for i7). It is my understanding that the more voltage you put across a dimm the higher mhz it goes. So running at a lower voltage means that this is the fastest / "highest quality", it comes underclocked, and also allows room to play with it or OC it if I want to?

-Also how do you feel about the closed circuit water cooling system (such as) compared to the CoGage? I loved the i7 heatsink roundup, this leaves me wondering how loud the CoGage would be with a nice fan instead of the stock fan in there.

The RAM will run at rated speeds with the listed voltages. You can OC the RAM if you want, but yes, that typically requires more voltage; so if you start at the max voltage, you have no headroom. However, these days, its easier to avoid OC'ing the RAM and simply buy the rated speed you need for the desired OC. With DDR2-1600. With a 920 and some DDR3-1600, you can reach 4Ghz and have the RAM running at 1600 using the 8x RAM multiplier. If you want to go higher, you can use the 6x RAM multiplier instead.

The H50 is nice, but pricey. The stock fan on the CoGage runs fine for me, no need to use an S-Flex or Noctua, IMO; However, noise is subjective, so its up to you. If you go with the CoGage, I'd try the stock fan first before spending money on an S-Flex on Noc.

Back