NEW HDTV for Home theater system.

Stormshade

Weaksauce
I am needing to replace my Aging 27" phillips Magnavox TV with a new HD TV for my home theater. Does anyone have any good recommendations for $1000 Or Less. I would Like something with Widescreen and 1080P if possible. :)

All HDTVs are going to be widescreen now, but you don't have great options for 1080p under $1000. A lot of people go for Westinghouse sets for 1080p under 1k, but what you plan to use it for really matters. For example, if you are going to game on it, you should go LCD, which typically run more than DLP or Plasma. Plasma works great for TV and movies, but burn-in risks (when gaming/pc use) and decay often turn people away. DLP have fantastic pictures and size/price for TV and Movies, but don't refresh fast enough for gaming and are not "wall-sets", usually running about 12-15in. thick.

For home theatre without gaming, go DLP if you have the space.

If you are dead set on LCD the best brands for PQ are: Sony, Samsung, Sharp (AQUOS only). Sharp has some cheap 1080p sets around 37-42", but are a little out of your budget.

More info will get you more help

I Plan to use it for Movies/TV .... Dont even have any gaming systems to hook up to it... So I will want something that works best for movies/TV

I just purchased a philips 42" 1080p lcd that is used as my computer monitor primarily, have my 360 and ps3 hooked to it as well, plus watch movies/tv.. so it does everything and it has a fantastic picture. costco has em on sale for 1199.00, go take a look at em. they are like 1600 at best buy for same screen, I was debating between this screen and a sony bravia 40" 1080p which was 300 more dollars and overal I liked the philips better because it was cheaper and the image quality was almost identical (even hooked a laptop up to a half a dozen screens to compare while in store).

I had a 42" 1080p westinghouse before and returned it, colors were not nearly as good and overal the picture quality was not nearly as nice. but for a grand or less when on sale its a decent screen for tv/movies. You will have to mess with the settings alot though to get the colors alright, it has a tough time with reds, they look very orange.

All HDTVs are going to be widescreen now, but you don't have great options for 1080p under $1000. A lot of people go for Westinghouse sets for 1080p under 1k, but what you plan to use it for really matters. For example, if you are going to game on it, you should go LCD, which typically run more than DLP or Plasma. Plasma works great for TV and movies, but burn-in risks (when gaming/pc use) and decay often turn people away. DLP have fantastic pictures and size/price for TV and Movies, but don't refresh fast enough for gaming and are not "wall-sets", usually running about 12-15in. thick.

For home theatre without gaming, go DLP if you have the space.

If you are dead set on LCD the best brands for PQ are: Sony, Samsung, Sharp (AQUOS only). Sharp has some cheap 1080p sets around 37-42", but are a little out of your budget.

More info will get you more help

A good DLP is great for gaming.

Back