New HD=fixed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMWlover

Limp Gawd
The old dell that started a thread about days ago seems to have all working parts except the HD. It is very old, so mabye old age got to it or something, anyway would buying a new HD for it fix it? Before it would not boot past a certian part in the BIOS loading bar. Thanks

Mod Edit: Your other working thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1091435
gl :) ~ papa-ming

You already asked this question multiple times in the other thread.
And to answer your question, its highly unlikely that the hard drive is causing the bios to lock up. But just to make sure try booting the comptuer with out the hard drive plugged in, if it gets to a screen that says no operating system found then getting a new one should do the trick, otherwise its something else.

OK thanks, and I have a old HP that when I boot it it checks everything than says ERROR 271 check time and date settings, then(no OS installed) tells me invalid system disk when I press resume after the before mentioned stuff. I can't run boot and nuke on it or boot from the CD? what up with that one? thanks

It does the No Operating system found thing when I unplug the drive. Mabye that the system in need of a new drive?

Have you tried setting the date and time in the BIOS? If you have and it keeps forgetting the settings you most likely need to replace the CMOS battery. Also check in the bios and see if it is recognizing the hard drive, and check and see if it has support for booting from the cd's.

It does the No Operating system found thing when I unplug the drive. Mabye that the system in need of a new drive?

Which system is saying this? Normally when it says no operating system found, it means that.
1. The boot order is set wrong in the bios
2. The hard drive is blank
3. There is only data on the disk and no os

The HP is saying this.( only when it unplugged)

I have many times tried to set the time on it.

ok, so that means that the hard drive is blank, and the system is trying to boot from it but since there's nothing on it, it can't.

Does the dell get past the bios loading screen without the hard drive?

Ok, so a new hard drive is not the answer, try clearing the CMOS on the dell, and unplugging everything that you don't need for it to turn on. If it still doesn't work i'd say that you're sol.

On that Dell system, you cannot clear the CMOS. What do you think is goin on with the HP? thanks

With the dell, its probaly broken beyond repair

With the hp, get it to boot off of the windows xp install disk and you'll be fine.

Yeah, Thats just it, the thing will not boot of the XP disc. I think it still has part of 98 on it.

Get into the bios on the hp and see if it has an option to boot from cd or something like that, if not download the boot disk for xp that you can put on a floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back